Secondary air injection delete questions

jgt58

Established Member
So I'm going to be deleting my sai system since I'm catless anyways. My question is what size cap do I need to get to block off the tubes coming out of my manifolds? I've looked everywhere and cannot find this info.....

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Guys, Josh has 2 EGR setups on his car. He sent me the pics last night.
He wants to know how to delete the second setup. It runs across the front of the engine by the tensioner and whatnot. Is it as simple as it is for us with just the 1 EGR?

Anyone else see this before? Assuming an original Cali car maybe?

Attach15030_20180207_205439.jpg
Attach15029_20180207_205422.jpg
Attach15031_20180207_205445.jpg

98-svt-stang

Established Member
I deleted the secondary air injection on my 98 cobra. I just cut the tube and welded a piece of metal over the nut that attaches it to the manifold. I used that piece to plug it at the manifold. I had my tuner turn it off so I have no cel. Its really nice to get rid of all that stuff. It really cleans up the front of your engine bay.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I deleted the secondary air injection on my 98 cobra. I just cut the tube and welded a piece of metal over the nut that attaches it to the manifold. I used that piece to plug it at the manifold. I had my tuner turn it off so I have no cel. Its really nice to get rid of all that stuff. It really cleans up the front of your engine bay.

I figured it was that simple. Did you leave the other EGR intact?
Was yours a CA car?

Last edited:

98-svt-stang

Established Member
Post the pics, Josh

I figured it was that simple. Did you leave the other EGR intact?
Was yours a CA car?

I deleted both egr and secondary air injection. As far as I know all of the 96-98 cobras had both. The air pump is behind the front fender in the wheel well on the passenger side.

jgt58

Established Member
Problem is I don't have a welder. I've done some looking and people just cut the nut off and place a dime under the nut and rtv copper it down. Now does anyone sell a egr delete with the cap for the exhaust?

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member

98-svt-stang

Established Member
Problem is I don't have a welder. I've done some looking and people just cut the nut off and place a dime under the nut and rtv copper it down. Now does anyone sell a egr delete with the cap for the exhaust?

I wouldn't recommend that. Thats exactly what I did the first time. 6 months later it blew a hole right through the coin. Thats when I decided to weld the nuts shut. I haven't had any problems since.

ZD302GT

Zach
Established Member
I have ground down a penny and put it inside the fitting to create a cap. Those don't last very long on a daily driver, maybe a couple weeks. I have done the same with a piece of sheet metal and that has lasted me a couple of years now.

PACIFICGREENSVT

Established Member
I cut the ends out/off of the old tubes then used dimes to plug the holes. Then tighten them down over the old fittings on the back of the exhaust manifolds. I can post pics after work, if you like. Cost was 20 cents lol

98-svt-stang

Established Member
I cut the ends out/off of the old tubes then used dimes to plug the holes. Then tighten them down over the old fittings on the back of the exhaust manifolds. I can post pics after work, if you like. Cost was 20 cents lol

How long have you been running your car like that? I did the same thing but one day I was ripping around and it got hot enough to blow a hole through the dime. I have bassani headers so maybe that had something to do with it. I ended up welding a slug over the hole.

jgt58

Established Member
How long have you been running your car like that? I did the same thing but one day I was ripping around and it got hot enough to blow a hole through the dime. I have bassani headers so maybe that had something to do with it. I ended up welding a slug over the hole.
I'm probably going to put a dime in it and cover the sob with high heat jb weld!!!! If someone could come up with a delete kit they would make bank

Users who are viewing this thread