Seasoned cast iron pans

96_slow4.6

my car is really slow
Established Member
We picked one of these up from academy the other day and it was already “seasoned”. Has anyone bought these and did you do your own seasoning on it or just use as it?

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
You can use it as is. I would wash it first.

Don't be afraid of soap and water, modern soaps don't harm seasoning. Do be afraid of leaving it wet, anytime you wash it, dry it and toss it on a burner on medium for a few minutes to fully dry.

The only time I re-season a pan is if it's an old pan I picked up at an antique store or flea market and I want to test for lead.

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
I would wash it, and as said before, the whole “don’t wash your cast iron” comes from when soap had lye in it. I usually just put them in the oven after washing and pat drying with a paper towel, then set it 350. Once it’s preheated, turn it off. It will be dry after warming up and the time it takes to cool down

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You bought it from Academy Sports? What brand is the cast iron pan?

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Use it as is, I’d cook in butter or oil for the first while to really build up the seasoning. I use a cast iron pan daily, they’re the best

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

jessie_sanders

Established Member
Off topic but I was wanting to smoke salsa in one of these. My grandma said not to cook acidic things in black iron. Has anyone done this before?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
I'm on year 3(ish?) of my first skillet which is also a Lodge, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt; I'm still very green when it comes to cast iron. My procedure based on what I've learned on my own and have been told by others with more experience:

I still don't use soap to wash. I just make sure the skillet is warm, and use hot water and a copper/brass/steel wool tk scrub. Just enough to get the "food material" off

Wipe water off the bottom/outside of the skillet and put on stove on medium-ish heat and turn oven on a pretty low temp (like temp <250)

When oven is preheated, I kill the stove and rub about a nickel-quarter size dot of oil into the entire skillet, inside and out.

Place the oiled skillet in the oven for 30-45min.

Heating the post wash skillet on the stove dries it out and "opens up" the pores of the metal, allowing the metal to "soak" into the skillet instead of just coating it. The 30-45min in the oven "bakes" the oil into the metal.

I love my lodge so much I'm considering ditching all my other pans/skillets and going cast iron

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Off topic but I was wanting to smoke salsa in one of these. My grandma said not to cook acidic things in black iron. Has anyone done this before?

Even though some say it is perfectly fine as long as the pan is well seasoned and you cook the acidic food for no more than an hour, I'd listen to grandma.

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs

This is true. Somewhat. I'll brown hamburger then add spaghetti sauce and simmer for a while in my Lodge cast iron.

Seasoning is a variable. After doing acidic things, I definitely notice my seasoning changing. So next thing I do might be pan frying or cooking bacon. This always seems to really bring back seasoning quickly.

I cook using a lot of carbon steel or cast iron. The best method I've found for seasoning is to cook on it. I don't fuss a lot with it. I'm pretty abusive to my stuff. lol.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
What these guys said

And yes id wash and season it as well. The more ya use it the better it gets

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
This is true. Somewhat. I'll brown hamburger then add spaghetti sauce and simmer for a while in my Lodge cast iron.

Seasoning is a variable. After doing acidic things, I definitely notice my seasoning changing. So next thing I do might be pan frying or cooking bacon. This always seems to really bring back seasoning quickly.

I cook using a lot of carbon steel or cast iron. The best method I've found for seasoning is to cook on it. I don't fuss a lot with it. I'm pretty abusive to my stuff. lol.
10000%.

Cook with it, clean it, dry it, repeat.

kazman

King of Kazmania
Established Member
Premium Member
I have a skillet that I can remember mom cooking on in 1968. 55 ys, older than some of you young bucks.
No acidic stews, no soaking in the sink, rinse while warm with hot water and a brush, then on to the stove for a few to dry.

Last edited:

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member

Tomato base stuff isn't good for it but you can do it. I wash the pan after with soap and hot water right after, dry it on the stove or oven then coat it with a small amount of high temp oil (Vegetable, Canola) don't use Olive oil.

Users who are viewing this thread