Searching disabled...

WTF

law abiding citizen
Established Member
Just tried searching but i says it's disabled. This isn't going to be a permanent thing is it? Just wondering because Mustangworld is like that and that's the only thing I don't like about that forum.

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
SID297, it isn't my place to ask, but is the website hosted on the same server as the database? Are you guys running MySQL or SQL Server or Oracle? I've just been curious about this lately. I understand if you'd rather not divulge infrastructure details.

Admin

Jack of all trades
Administrator
SID297, it isn't my place to ask, but is the website hosted on the same server as the database? Are you guys running MySQL or SQL Server or Oracle? I've just been curious about this lately. I understand if you'd rather not divulge infrastructure details.

Two servers, MySQL on the DB server.

The DB server is kicking but and taking numbers... it's the web server that's crapping out recently.
:cuss:

(the DB error page that pops up when the site is down is a generic error)

Skrapmetal

Established Member
Traffic is absurdly high right now because of that scam thread in the Donut Shop, I imagine. It's being linked on pretty much every car forum on the web.

NewKid

Aliens
Established Member
Traffic is absurdly high right now because of that scam thread in the Donut Shop, I imagine. It's being linked on pretty much every car forum on the web.

Holy hell! I just looked over that thread and it's insane! I mean post after post of "checking in from..." "Hey I'm from...." "linked to...."

Congrats Travis, you just got a shit-ton of free advertisment; everything from imports to bikes to Dodge!:beer:

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
It's a problem with MySQL. That's why you're seeing the classic DB error.

I'm working with a vendor using vB to upgrade to Microsoft SQL 2005. The results are very promising, but the PHP code is a complete mess.

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
Admin said:
Two servers, MySQL on the DB server.

The DB server is kicking butt and taking numbers... it's the web server that's crapping out recently.

I see. I do not know how much traffic you guys have, but deploying the site to a web farm is, to my knowledge, the most cost-effective approach to load balancing web traffic. And a web farm is an extremely scalable implementation, so as the web traffic decreases or increases in the future, you can simply remove or add hosting machines from and to the farm to account for the change in traffic. Of course, this would not be an easy solution if the vBulletin framework (including SVTP's years of customization) was not architected with web farm deployment in mind. The drawback here though is that you would have to deploy your website to multiple machines when you want to release updates, but at least deployments can be automated with some programming effort or a deployment tool. And I guess another drawback would be the drastic increase in infrastructure complexity, which could make some bugs more difficult to isolate. And this would cost money too, obviously.

Are you guys hosting with iiS?

Last edited:

ampstang

Nobody F's w/ a Lion
Established Member
F Sid! Believe me, we'll no longer have the search function on this website. Sorry*Sid. I was just kidding. Don't ban me.

ampstang

Nobody F's w/ a Lion
Established Member
It's temporary during this time of ultra high traffic.

F your traffic, Sid. Remember you're in charge. I never want to see "Database Error" from this forum again. It's your job to fix that. Do it NOW!!!!!.............NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!................not tomorrow............NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Admin

Jack of all trades
Administrator
It's a problem with MySQL. That's why you're seeing the classic DB error.

I'm working with a vendor using vB to upgrade to Microsoft SQL 2005. The results are very promising, but the PHP code is a complete mess.

Sorry, but you're wrong about the issue having anything to do with the DB, and the PHP code is far from a mess.

BTW, the error is an IIS 503 error if you wanna kill some time.

The DB error page is a generic VB error page and is pretty meaningless.

Stavesacre21

Thinkin 4th Dimensionally
Established Member
*quietly exits the thread, having absolutely no idea what anyone's currently talking about*

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Sorry, but you're wrong about the issue having anything to do with the DB, and the PHP code is far from a mess.

BTW, the error is an IIS 503 error if you wanna kill some time.

The DB error page is a generic VB error page and is pretty meaningless.

Let me know what the Event Log entries are for this are and I'll let you know how to fix it.

I take it you're running MySQL connecting from vB on Windows 2003 with IIS 6.0.

Correct? :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread