Seafoamed the Mystic, now I need your help!

Immortal LuD

Established Member
Hey guys! First of all, my Mystic has 60,000 miles, Mac CAI, Mac o/r h-pipe, Flowmasters, 4.10's, and MGW shifter.

This is the first time I've done this, since the car started being a dog above 3.5k RPM's. I thought it was the IMRC plates, so I did this hoping it would work.

Now for the smoke show...

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALlevOiKIW0"]YouTube - Seafoam '96 Mystic Cobra[/nomedia]

It smoked for around 15 minutes or so, as I ran up and down that little strip doing WOT.

The car runs a little worse than before now. Always around 3.5k RPM. I have new spark plugs that are going in after I get some FRPP 9mm wires. I plan on changing out my CAI for stock, or something else with a new filter.

It's just a dog. It will backfire at every shift in the upper RPM range as well. Would you guys have any insight as to what I can check? Or what may be causing the sluggish motor? The car runs amazing otherwise, with no issues. It's in pretty much pristine shape, and is my daily driver. I just want to get rid of this annoying problem!

Thanks guys!

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
Hey guys! First of all, my Mystic has 60,000 miles, Mac CAI, Mac o/r h-pipe, Flowmasters, 4.10's, and MGW shifter.

This is the first time I've done this, since the car started being a dog above 3.5k RPM's. I thought it was the IMRC plates, so I did this hoping it would work.

Now for the smoke show...

YouTube - Seafoam '96 Mystic Cobra

It smoked for around 15 minutes or so, as I ran up and down that little strip doing WOT.

The car runs a little worse than before now. Always around 3.5k RPM. I have new spark plugs that are going in after I get some FRPP 9mm wires. I plan on changing out my CAI for stock, or something else with a new filter.

It's just a dog. It will backfire at every shift in the upper RPM range as well. Would you guys have any insight as to what I can check? Or what may be causing the sluggish motor? The car runs amazing otherwise, with no issues. It's in pretty much pristine shape, and is my daily driver. I just want to get rid of this annoying problem!

Thanks guys!

If infact it is an imrc problem such as being stuck seafoam wont help you will need to remove the intake to clean them. Since you have 4.10 just delete them

Immortal LuD

Established Member
It seems like it's a lot of work, and cost a lot of money... I'm not sure on how to do it.

Car ran great a few minutes ago, pulled hard through the RPM's. Earlier this morning and afternoon, it ran like poop. Seems to be really random. Typically does it when I first start driving around, and then sometimes goes away.

Checked my vacuum, and all is good there. Have new NGK TR55IX's that I'm going to put in probably in the next few days, since I don't know the past history of my current plugs. I was waiting to get FRPP 9mm wires, but I'm worried about getting them in place. Missing all the pieces.

Anywho, I guess I'll find out if it's the plugs soon.

BraMas

Established Member
If your IMRC's are stuck closed you can do a easy short term fix of Zip tying the plates open so the car is more drivable until you can either take the intake off to clean or delete them.
Just follow the cables that go to each plate open it up manually (it works like a Throttle Body lever) It would probably be easier with 2 people 1 hold them open and 1 to zip tie

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
It seems like it's a lot of work, and cost a lot of money... I'm not sure on how to do it.

Car ran great a few minutes ago, pulled hard through the RPM's. Earlier this morning and afternoon, it ran like poop. Seems to be really random. Typically does it when I first start driving around, and then sometimes goes away.

Checked my vacuum, and all is good there. Have new NGK TR55IX's that I'm going to put in probably in the next few days, since I don't know the past history of my current plugs. I was waiting to get FRPP 9mm wires, but I'm worried about getting them in place. Missing all the pieces.

Anywho, I guess I'll find out if it's the plugs soon.

its not too bad to remove and delete them, anyhow when you did the seafoam it cleans the valves,pistons, combustion chambers and it could leave a lot of carbon on your plugs so it could have possibly fould a plug or dirty them up. Pull the plugs and check it out.

P.S im sure there is a IMRC cleaning/deleting how to somewhere on here

Immortal LuD

Established Member
I'm definately interested in deleting them. I have seen write-ups over the years, but never had the balls to do it. :)

After I get out of debt, *hmph*, I plan on doing some more mods, and want to make sure my car is going to run top notch and healthy!

I have heard the same thing about seafoam messing up plugs, and also stories about O2 sensors. My car isn't throwing any codes at the moment, so I don't know if it's even worth worrying about at this point. It doesn't shake or jerk on acceleration.

I'm also planning on getting rid of the stupid Mac CAI, in favor of something else with a K&N filter. Ready to clean that MAF sensor too!

Immortal LuD

Established Member
Would it hurt to throw another can of seafoam down her throat first? I'm also thinking about adding a can to my gas tank for good measure too!

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
Would it hurt to throw another can of seafoam down her throat first? I'm also thinking about adding a can to my gas tank for good measure too!

with that smoke show i think it was enough lol, you can do another can and once it clears up, change your oil, and plugs.

I bet people were looking at you like WTF lol

SVT CAMR

Established Member
Time would be better spent pulling the intake and just doing it right. Not to sound like an ass but it is what it is. Those plates are known to gum up. After you clean them they will be good for a long while but eventually it will happen again. I say delete them get a tune and call it a day. if $ are tight then take them off the car and clean them. Might as well do a coolant change while your there too.

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
They are not 'hard' to clean, but it is pretty time consuming. I would guess that you need to clean them. As a short term fix, you can try to Seafoam it again and change the plugs. The Seafoam doesn't really work (trust me, I was a firm believer in the stuff until I pulled my IMRCs out a week after Seafoaming my car. They were still disgusting). You'll need a socket set, a couple cans of brake cleaner, and a toothbrush, and a weekend.

CJK440

Established Member
Seafoam is a good combustion chamber cleaner, not a good intake & intake port cleaner. In fact with the plates closed the cleaner will just go down the primary port.

It's more important to change your oil after a seafoam treatment. I'd change the plugs anyways but I bet they come out looking cleaner than before.

As for the IMRC's. I'm no expert since my car had them deleted when I bought it, but couldn't you reach behind them and manually actuate them to see if they are binding? If they are, then pull them and clean them. If not I imagine the problem could also be the IMRC motor under the intake.

Any codes?

As for driveability goes, I would think you are better off leaving them as is and not beat on the car. Wouldn't tieing them wide open all the time make for a lean condition under 3500rpms unless you retune?

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
A novice could take the time of say, probably a weekend, to completely remove the gunk/sludge mucking up the IMRCs.

Run a search for "IMRC" or "IMRC PDF" or "IMRC cleaning" and you should be able to find the SVT Cobra Club PDF document that outlines how to clean your IMRCs - it's so easy, even a caveman can do it (complete with pics). :)

1996MysticSnake

Established Member
You MUST change the plugs after you run seafoam through the engine. It fouls the plugs that why you are having problems in the upper rpms.

Immortal LuD

Established Member
Thanks for all of the replies guys!

I may have to eventually tear it all down and clean it by hand, but until then, I will find out if my new plugs will help it out.

Good thing I don't have to change the oil, that scared me a bit since I just changed it last week!!! =)

J.Rovirosa

Established Member
I would disagree.

I Seafoam'd my '97 awhile back and didn't have to change the plugs....but I'd imagine that's all dependent on how much gunk you have in there. Definitely change the oil and plugs, and you should consider pulling the intake and cleaning it "right". Not all that difficult and IIRC, all the gaskets are reusable.

Users who are viewing this thread