"Sea Foam", Has anyone here tried it?

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
Just as it was stated in the title, Has anyone here ever tried or know anything about a product called sea foam?

A friend of mine told me yesterday that it cleans out valves and restores hp.

KC/COBRA

Fear The Cornholio
Established Member
I've been told it is the best f.i./valve cleaner and I've used it on three different vehicles and it seems to work fine.

Riceater52910

Established Member
I know a lot of LS1 guys use it, i was once one of them. It seemed to help. Never tried it on the cobra. You put about half a can through your brake booster vacuum line with the car running.

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
I appreciate the replies. Like I said, I only heard of it yesterday. Now I'm wondering why I haven't atleast heard of it sooner considering my knowledge of cars.

So does this possibly mean that it may restore noticeable hp in our cars?

po-po 5.0

Established Member
Some cars make good use of it, some don't. I had a '92 bronco with 185k miles, and it distinctly cleared up a miss. Used the stuff the same day on my blown notch to no effect whatsoever. Basically.....on FI or high compression engines its not going to help much as the higher combustion temps keep the cylinders cleaner. It MIGHT help a bit on your cobra, but if you're out raping your car like you should be, it won't do much.

Finaltheorem47

I'm a Lead Farmer
Established Member
it clogged my plugs up so beware. It works very well, I love it, but if you have the type of spark plug with the ceramic having a pinhole in it for the electrode, that hole will clog up. You can try running a cup of water through it the same way you did the seafoam to clean it out, but most likely it will require new plugs.

omj

Established Member
Seafoam works great. I love putting it in the Cobra then ripping around the neighborhood like I'm James Bond! My car is really smoky since the valve seals leak. It makes my car idle better, also.

K2AHollywood

Established Member
Wow i know i have heard several reports of this working for people but no one is the least bit concerned about inducing straight liquid into your intake? I cant remember who it was but when I was working at Autozone, i remember someone coming in and reporting they had tried this [not on a mustang] and hydrolocked their motor [makes sense] Now that is the only problem I have heard reported but seriously....this doesnt concern anyone else out there? How many people have actually done this? And from the write up it sounds like it almost kills the car for a while, whats the room for error?

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Wow i know i have heard several reports of this working for people but no one is the least bit concerned about inducing straight liquid into your intake? I cant remember who it was but when I was working at Autozone, i remember someone coming in and reporting they had tried this [not on a mustang] and hydrolocked their motor [makes sense] Now that is the only problem I have heard reported but seriously....this doesnt concern anyone else out there? How many people have actually done this? And from the write up it sounds like it almost kills the car for a while, whats the room for error?

you are sucking up a combustible material, not water...water is extremely dangerous because once it gets in the cylinder it can't burn off like the seafoam...

Sea Pony

Workin'! Woot!
Established Member
I have seen videos and heard people say it works...

I don't plan to use it unless I have a problem I think it will address.

po-po 5.0

Established Member
whats the room for error?

Quite large, actually. A motor has to ingest a significant (huge) amount of fluid to hydrolock. Hydrolock occurs because you can't compress a fluid. Once you've filled a cylinder beyond its minimum volume with a fluid the motor effectively locks. So you'd basically need to consume 70+ccs of a fluid (size of combustion chamber) into ONE cylinder to cause a hydrolock. 70cc is ~ 2 fl oz. So basically you'd have to get ~10% of the bottle in almost instantenously to cause hydrolock. Very, very, very unlikely to happen. The odds are much better that the motor will stall before hydrlock actually occurs if you're following the directions.

Last edited:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator

Dude, in the old days with Carbs I would pour (Slowly) a gallon of cold water down the carb to clean the cumbustion chambers.
If done right the water turns to steam.
Not much cleans better than steam.

The intake on these cars is quite large. I'd almost bet a can of seafoam will fit inside and barely touch the runners.

You suck it in slow so the chances of the whole can puddleing and sucking up liquid is slim to none.

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
Dude, in the old days with Carbs I would pour Slowly) a gallon of cold water down the carb to clean the cumbustion chambers.
If done right the water turns to steam.
Not much cleans better than steam.
DITTO! :rockon::rockon: Much cheaper than carb cleaner and it works GREAT!

Just have to keep the RPMs up and pour it slowly.:burnout:

Users who are viewing this thread