SCT xcal 2 opinions

mikeD4V

Established Member
from what i've seen alot of you guys are running the xcal 2 and i have the opportunity to buy one for a little less than $300(used, no tune). does this sound like a somewhat smart investment(i would eventually put a dyno tune in it) or would i benefit more from just ordering a new one with the mail order tune till i get the dyno tune? thanks in advance guys..

Dreddstang

Wing-Less Bastard!!
Established Member
Bring it by here and I can check to see if it's VIN locked or not. If it's not it should be good to go, and I can even put a tune in it for you. I carry blank ones and tune them all the time if the customer can't go to the dyno or doesn't want to. But if it's a good one, $300 is a good price.

I have one in my '98 and it makes a nice difference. :thumbsup:

TRBO VNM

i would be another to recommend a new one. most places you buy them from new will supply you with tunes based on your combo. Then you can take it to a dyno or log the car yourself if you have a laptop and send the log files to the tuner and they can tweak them and send revised tunes to you. Some do this for free.

A lot of us have been using Jon Lund for tuning and purchasing SCT stuff from. I have setup a couple of tuning days with him and once he provides you with custom street tunes then he will change them for free if you make changes. He provides 2 or 3 tunes when you purchase and can get it pretty damn close to perfect.

I only recommend a dyno for checking numbers and changes in numbers between mods, but you need to go to the same dyno everytime and with similar weather conditions. and even then if the dyno operator is not calibrating the equipment and replacing parts that he should you will not have accurate readings. Tuning on the street and logging all of the parameters necessary allows the tuner to make adjustments for real world conditions.

dyno's can be calibrated to put a load on the car as if it were on the street, but there are a lot of other parameters with the calibration of the dyno that need to be done to be accurate. My dyno experiences have been ok, but not the best. Just too many variables that are unknown. If I am driving the car on the street and tuning there, I know it is done for real conditions.

everyone has their opinion and that is mine. ultimately it is you decision and we can do our best to guide you. hope that helps.

mikeD4V

Established Member
Dreddstang said:
Bring it by here and I can check to see if it's VIN locked or not. If it's not it should be good to go, and I can even put a tune in it for you. I carry blank ones and tune them all the time if the customer can't go to the dyno or doesn't want to. But if it's a good one, $300 is a good price.

I have one in my '98 and it makes a nice difference. :thumbsup:

i was trying to kill two birds with one stone; buy the used xcal 2 and use the rest of the $ to get the subs welded up but i think i'm going to spring for a new one just to be safe. besides after getting the used one it'll probably run me about another $100 after all is said and done to get it tuned. i'll be up there soon to get my subs done and maybe some cats for next summer's sniffer test. might even have to fill out an application, :beer: ..

this thing needs a tune bad, too many codes and i think it's running very rich. the back of my car is always black by the end of the week, lol.. :-D

Last edited:

mikeD4V

Established Member
WUTWINE said:
i would be another to recommend a new one. most places you buy them from new will supply you with tunes based on your combo. Then you can take it to a dyno or log the car yourself if you have a laptop and send the log files to the tuner and they can tweak them and send revised tunes to you. Some do this for free.

A lot of us have been using Jon Lund for tuning and purchasing SCT stuff from. I have setup a couple of tuning days with him and once he provides you with custom street tunes then he will change them for free if you make changes. He provides 2 or 3 tunes when you purchase and can get it pretty damn close to perfect.

everyone has their opinion and that is mine. ultimately it is you decision and we can do our best to guide you. hope that helps.

thanks! i think that swayed it. i figure after all is said and done it will end up costing me around $400 anyway so i might as well get a new one. do you have a contact for Jon Lund or could i go through you now if your business is up and running. i like the idea of keeping the tuning local in case it needs tweaking. last q, what's the avg turn around time on the tunes after purchasing the xcal2?

TRBO VNM

mikeD4V said:
thanks! i think that swayed it. i figure after all is said and done it will end up costing me around $400 anyway so i might as well get a new one. do you have a contact for Jon Lund or could i go through you now if your business is up and running. i like the idea of keeping the tuning local in case it needs tweaking. last q, what's the avg turn around time on the tunes after purchasing the xcal2?

I am not fully setup yet and even if I was I would still recommend going right through him directly. he will send you one with the tunes already on it and then after you log and send him the log files, if he has time that day he usually can get it done that day. it depends on his full time job which is a pilot. so if he is flying then it may be the following day.

I will pm you his info.

Mrcobraguy

Established Member
Ya i'm intrested in getting the Xcal too but not untill i get putting this solid in this guy building it is taking forever but i'd rather have him do it then anyone else. I just got a laptop too so i can't wait :-D.

booricua

A JODER
Established Member
Jon will do you right he is an SCT dealer and gave me some good tune my car.It runs real good on the street tune I just have to get the hop under control but I am confident once that is done I will even have lower # on my aggresive tune :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
Can you PM me Jon's info also. I almost bought one of these things from MustangTuning.com yesterday, but I would definitely feel better buying from a local tuner. Also, I am planning on getting an 03/04 next spring, I assume these can be reprogrammed (unlocked) in such a case.

Shambles

Fetch the COMFY CHAIR!
Established Member
You could do what I did and just chip it. You can load multiple tunes on 1 chip and switch between the tunes on the fly, that is if you arnt planning on doing a lot of heavy modding in the future. If you plan on doing heavy modding I would suggest the X-Cal2, just because its eaiser to upload new tunes (for the chip you have to take it out and reprogram it and its a total pain in the ass).

Just my .02. The X-Cal2, either way, is a really nice tuner. Now that the new Advantage III files are out you can do the end-user on-screen tuning on the X-Cal itself.

TRBO VNM

Rick James said:
Can you PM me Jon's info also. I almost bought one of these things from MustangTuning.com yesterday, but I would definitely feel better buying from a local tuner. Also, I am planning on getting an 03/04 next spring, I assume these can be reprogrammed (unlocked) in such a case.

PM sent. yes, you can "unmarry" the xcal2 from the original car and use it on another car. once you sell and get the terminator. what yr car do you have again?

Users who are viewing this thread