SCT X4 return to stock option?

Badlilstang

Established Member
This has probably has been bought up but searching didn't help me find anything.

The X4 Flash device backs up your factory PCM program during installation should you ever need to return your vehicle to the stock program. Restoring your vehicle to the stock PCM program is as easy as selecting "Return to Stock" from the device menu. With all SCT devices, once returned to stock, there is no footprint or trace of the tune in the vehicle's PCM.

Does this mean the car can be returned to stock without Ford ever knowing? I thought the key cycles would be erased if put back to stock.. But it says "With all SCT devices" and I know with the X3 Ford would know if returned to stock.

SC_Terminator

Used to own a Boss
Established Member
This has been debated lots of times.....but my opinion, if Ford "really" wants to know if it has been reprogrammed (tuned), they can find out....you will get many mixed emotions on this....but the people who wrote the program for the PCM can tell if something has changed....

Badlilstang

Established Member
This has been debated lots of times.....but my opinion, if Ford "really" wants to know if it has been reprogrammed (tuned), they can find out....you will get many mixed emotions on this....but the people who wrote the program for the PCM can tell if something has changed....

Yeah, I mentioned this to someone who I thought my know the answer and he said its very doubtful. There are multiple ways to see if the PCM has been flashed. Kinda misleading on the SCT site. Oh well.. I got an X3 and I plan to use it!

5.0jake

Established Member
It's funny, people always scream on the forums that there are ways that they can tell but Ive never actually read on any forum over the years where someone actually said that their pcm was removed and or dissected by the dealer or a Ford field rep... and a tune was found.:shrug: Ive read of a few warranty voids here and there over the years but it usually had to do with blatant abuse and or heavy mods. Definitely none with when the Intune was being used. Theoretically Ford should be able to tell when you flashed it but nobody has posted 100% proof that they can or cannot tell.
As far as the X4, it should be great but I'd expect it t be buggy for a while being an all new design.

Last edited:

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
It's funny, people always scream on the forums that there are ways that they can tell but Ive never actually read on any forum over the years where someone actually said that their pcm was removed and or dissected by the dealer or a Ford field rep... and a tune was found.:shrug: Ive read of a few warranty voids here and there over the years but it usually had to do with blatant abuse and or heavy mods. Definitely none with when the Intune was being used. Theoretically Ford should be able to tell when you flashed it but nobody has posted 100% proof that they can or cannot tell.
As far as the X4, it should be great but I'd expect it t be buggy for a while being an all new design.

pretty much agree with the above..I think in some cases the dealer suspects a flashed pcm, so they may make a comment about drive/key cycles in an attempt to get you to spill the beans...at this point do not step on your own dick and make up lame shit about unplugging the battery etc. Look that mother****er in the eye and say I have no idea what you are talking about.

01GTB

Established Member
pretty much agree with the above..I think in some cases the dealer suspects a flashed pcm, so they may make a comment about drive/key cycles in an attempt to get you to spill the beans...at this point do not step on your own dick and make up lame shit about unplugging the battery etc. Look that mother****er in the eye and say I have no idea what you are talking about.

:lol:

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
They don't see a tune. Its #s they are looking for.

Example. You have a 2011 GT with 30k miles on it. YOu have an issue and you return it to stock and bring it to the dealer for warranty. They plug in their scanner and notice that the car has X amount of key cycles with higher miles but all data shows close to 0/new. Now they compare that data to Ford updates which now, they can see that it was flashed but not with their data. Now,they know someone else was in there thus getting the owner to admit it.

Last edited by a moderator:

ttk53

Established Member
I find it funny you guy all think you can trick ford.

tsb11-07-07_Page_3.jpg

tsb11-07-07_Page_1.jpg

tsb11-07-07_Page_2.jpg

They have a counter in the computer that tells them how many times the computer was flashed. if it doesnt match with the oasis report bye bye warranty.

Any why do you think you should be able to mod your car and ford still cover it under warranty.

Badlilstang

Established Member
I talked with a tuner about this and he said he has seen it in action and can confirm THEY CAN TELL! He said he has not tested the X4 but does not see how this can be any different.

Derek@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I find it funny you guy all think you can trick ford.

tsb11-07-07_Page_3.jpg

tsb11-07-07_Page_1.jpg

tsb11-07-07_Page_2.jpg

They have a counter in the computer that tells them how many times the computer was flashed. if it doesnt match with the oasis report bye bye warranty.

Any why do you think you should be able to mod your car and ford still cover it under warranty.

This.

Feel out your dealership by speaking with the service writer/service manager and see how they feel with aftermarket mods. A lot of mods won't void the warranty, but there are a lot that will, like a tune. Also. please guys, read up on the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, it will tell you all of your rights and what the dealer can and cannot do to your warranty.

This topic has been discussed a million times here with every other programmer. The X4 will be no different.

I talked with a tuner about this and he said he has seen it in action and can confirm THEY CAN TELL! He said he has not tested the X4 but does not see how this can be any different.

Correct. They can tell and the X4 will not be any different as it's the Ford PCM that does the counting. The X4 (or any programmer for that matter) cannot trick the PCM.

If you have a reputable tuner writing tunes for you car, you should not have any issues. But you also need to understand that no matter what, you are taking a risk when you mod your car, no matter what mod it is.

If you guys have any questions, feel free to give us a call or shoot us an email, we'd be glad to answer your questions.

Thanks.

5.0jake

Established Member

Most of us know about the TSB above and that they can generally tell that your car has been tuned but to this day nobody has provided proof that they can tell when the Intune tuner is being used. Many will come on here and say/assume that they can tell with the Intune and that being stealth is just marketing fluff. Maybe it is, but where is the proof? I have never heard anyone being denied warranty coverage with this tuning device since it has been out.
Like said above, it definitely helps if your Ford service dept is mod friendly. They may not always make the automate decision when something catastrophic happens but it definitely helps.

In my case I am using my SCT tuner from my prior stang to calibrate my transmission only firming up the boring stock shifting in my 14 auto. No engine calibrations were ever made. If I have a problem with my motor it will be due to factory defect in which Ford will be responsible. Magnuson-Moss will be in my advantage in this case. My dealer happens to be very mod friendly too and are aware of my tranny calibration only setup.

Last edited:

ttk53

Established Member
Most of us know about the TSB above and that they can generally tell that your car has been tuned but to this day nobody has provided proof that they can tell when the Intune tuner is being used. Many will come on here and say/assume that they can tell with the Intune and that being stealth is just marketing fluff. Maybe it is, but where is the proof? I have never heard anyone being denied warranty coverage with this tuning device since it has been out.
Like said above, it definitely helps if your Ford service dept is mod friendly. They may not always make the automate decision when something catastrophic happens but it definitely helps.

In my case I am using my SCT tuner from my prior stang to calibrate my transmission only firming up the boring stock shifting in my 14 auto. No engine calibrations were ever made. If I have a problem with my motor it will be due to factory defect in which Ford will be responsible. Magnuson-Moss will be in my advantage in this case. My dealer happens to be very mod friendly too and are aware of my tranny calibration only setup.

The PCM counts the number of times it has been written to, you can't get around it. And for you thinking just adjusting your trans won't void your warranty good luck with that!. Ford has a staff of lawyers that get paid weather they use them or not.

And dealers can't be mod friendly, if you pop a motor the call to replace it comes from Ford not the dealer.

You guys want better performance than stock but you still want the stock warranty to cover your cars.

5.0jake

Established Member
The PCM counts the number of times it has been written to, you can't get around it. And for you thinking just adjusting your trans won't void your warranty good luck with that!. Ford has a staff of lawyers that get paid weather they use them or not.

And dealers can't be mod friendly, if you pop a motor the call to replace it comes from Ford not the dealer.

You guys want better performance than stock but you still want the stock warranty to cover your cars.
There is a whole other(very long)thread that has covered that the Intune does not effect the counters when returned to stock.
Quote from Shaun at AED:
" DiabloMike is correct, there is only ONE CVN in Mode 9 and Ignition cycles are there as well. I then did a KAM reset and noted that Ignition Cycles did NOT change. So, to sum it up, Neither Diablo Nor SCT change the CheckSums when returned to stock, nor reset Key Cycles."
There wasn't a conclusion however that the Intune would be 100% stealth if Ford were to dissect it.... Regardless, if I am not changing my engine calibration in any way and something happens to my motor due to a factory defect, why the hell should I pay?!?! If something happens to my trans which I have modified via a calibration I will accept the responsibility...
The chance of something happening to my powertrain is quite low with my set-up anyway so no worries.

I used to work at a Ford dealer and a Ford field rep would not ALWAYS come out to investigate blown motor/trans claims. Most of the warranties voided that I saw over the years were due to abuse, clear evidence of racing and or were heavily and improperly modded.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread