SCT X3 - My experiences

Toasty

Established Member
So I purchased a SCT X3 early last summer in preparation for my KB install and tuning.

I've had NOTHING but headaches with my unit.

ON multiple occasions I've tried to upload my baseline tune custom tune (my .ll3 file) to the X3, I've received memory errors and incomplete transfers. Thinking it might be firmware related, I've tried to update the firmware on the unit. 3 times now I've tried to update the firmware and every time my X3 has ended up being bricked. I have to wait for business hours of SCT to open , get one of their techs online through their online chat, and allow them to take control of my PC's desktop so they can rebuild the unit from scratch (format MMC, install new SCT flash os and then firmware update AND install my tunes).

Each time SCT has either not known what went wrong or subtly blamed me for doing 'something wrong'. I've followed the instructions WORD for WORD and did every step as prescribed before attempting to update the X3 firmware and I have ZERO luck. I've tried multiple USB cables, and different PC's to ensure its not something specific to one system causing the issues.

I am fairly certain that I have a bad/buggy X3. SCT has offered NOTHING to mitigate this situation - in their eyes it seems to be all PEBCAK. I work with software and programmable line controllers (PLC's) for a living and I'm 99.999% sure its not me.

I am very very very disappointed with my SCT X3. Sct's updater software is a buggy piece of junk that hangs and has a terrible UI and buggy window management. Their online PDF documentation is often out of date, poorly written and sometimes just plain wrong.

To add even more pain to this situation, I just purchased the SCT Pro Racer package to tune my car myself (another $500 CDN dollars all said and done). I'm regretting spending the money and I'll likely never buy another SCT product again.

Last edited:

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
Sorry to hear it. My Xcal2, while far from being a bug-free product, has done the job for me pretty reliably. I have had to call them for suppport one time, and they did the same thing, but they fixed my problem, and I have been trouble free since. If you are persistent, I am sure they will help you get it right eventually.

Again, I am sorry you are having a bad experience. I feel a little bit responsible for recommending it to you. When it works, it is very powerful.

Mustang Matt

Established Member
I agree. The software is poorly written. My tuner ran into a problem where the fan wouldn't turn on. Lost time on troubleshooting to make sure it wasn't the fan and then rewriting the tune several times to find the parameter that was causing a corrupted tune.

Since they can't seem to hire decent software devs, they need to open the source up and let people that have the motivation fix it.

Will they at least replace your X3?

ZeroSVT

Established Member
The x2 is the best out there still. The x3 is nothing but bugs, your just gonna have to keep bother SCT. Ask for Mike Rivera next time you call.

03 TOPLESSSVT

Established Member
On my 3rd X3 between the Cobra and the Power Stroke and no bugs. Sorry to hear.

Toasty

Established Member
Yeah, I know that from alot of other posts I have read that the X3 experience is hit and miss. Some people love it, others have had issues. I'm at the breaking point now with this POS and I've invested ALOT of money in their f-ing products. Very very very pissed.

Oh and to add more confusion/pain to the mix, SCT has decided that the X3 I bought is no longer an X3, its a SF3. Their website says X3's purchased before July 25/08 are now considered SF3's, even though their part number (pn3000) is a X3 part number. Something to be aware of for those of you thinking of buying a used SCT X3.

I did however get a FREE perfect condition Teksid block this week, so I'm moderately happy on that front.

Last edited:

Toasty

Established Member
Since they can't seem to hire decent software devs, they need to open the source up and let people that have the motivation fix it.

I wouldnt be surprised at all to find out development was offshore (India or other). It may be in house tho, I dont know...

Will they at least replace your X3?

Good question. I'm getting to the breaking point on this one. My local vendor (Mustang Performance Parts and Classic Mustang Parts in Canada) is superb about taking back items that are defective that I've bought through them, replacing them for free asap (often out of stock on hand), and dealing directly with the vendor to resolve issues. I'm not trying to plug TMS, just pointing out that a good local vendor who you have a strong relationship with is pure gold.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
I had a Xcal2 and it caused me a bit of grief but the tech at SCT was quite helpful and got me on the right track. The Xcal3 seems like they were rushed out the door with little of no testing. Good luck getting it working.

Toasty

Established Member
I had a Xcal2 and it caused me a bit of grief but the tech at SCT was quite helpful and got me on the right track. The Xcal3 seems like they were rushed out the door with little of no testing. Good luck getting it working.

Talked with SCT. They say the X3 is defective and to send it back to them. I got a new one from my local vendor this morning and he's gonna handle the send back to SCT.

+10000000 for buying local from a good+solid vendor. It may cost more, but service after the sale aspect is awesome.

MKSVT

Dosen't Wheel Hop
Established Member
Did you have the latest software update on the 3. I was having the same issues you were having.

Users who are viewing this thread