SCT urgent firmware update

bull3441

Established Member
My father and I both received an email from SCT stating a critical update was nneded to the SCT xcal 3. Anyone know what's up?

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
It seems to be a firmware issue and they're a bit vague on why it's critical. I did the update a couple days ago, but it wasn't without problems. The update timed out and left me with a programmer that wasn't functioning. I had to call tech support and they remoted my computer and got me going again. If you do the update, do it while they're open and can get tech support. You have to go back to stock to perform the update. If the programmer craps out, you could have a problem.

Here is what SCT posted in thier Pro Racer Support Forum:

Firmware Release Version: 1.2.142
Importance: Critical
Action: Update all X3 / SF3 products immediately

SCT has released a new version of the X3 (PN: 3000) / SF3 (PN: 3015) device firmware - Version 1.2.142. This is a critical update that resolves issues found with prior versions of the X3 / SF3 firmware.

All SCT customers & dealers are urged to update their device(s) to this latest firmware revision using the SCT Auto Updater Software immediately. Dealers with X3 / SF3 devices in stock are urged to update their inventory to the firmware version 1.2.142 prior to selling these devices or should encourage the consumer to update the device prior to installing it on their vehicle.

54First

Grouchy Old Guy
Established Member
I went to their website because I didn't get an e-mail. I don't have the site handy right now, but if you go to the updates section you'll see that the update only fixes problems for 2011+. I have a 2008, and I'm registered, so that's probably why I didn't get notified.

Steve

IA Shelby

Established Member
Thanks for the update. I fall into the 11+ crowd.

My pc crapped out on me and I have a house full of apples that don't work well with sct.

May need to work with a neighbor to get this updated.

GTOGreg

Crazy Sum-B
Established Member
I know that the lack of certain strategies has been problematic for later cars (e.g. my VJKO strategy), hopefully it isn't anymore severe than that...I invested in some data-logging just last night and got a clean bill of health to run open track this weekend.

Black Sex

Established Member
I wonder what would happen if you don't update it? My datalogs are at VMP now. Just waiting on my revisions.

overtime

Established Member
I have an '08, but downloaded the new version anyways. It was very simple, set your car back to the stock tune, connect your tuner to your computer, open the SCT Updater, click Check for software updates, the tuner gets updated. Check the firmware version on the tuner to make sure it was successful 1.2.142, Final step - load your custom tune back to the car. Pretty simple.

IA Shelby

Established Member
This stuff is new to me. I had Vmp tune and load it last April. Car is running fine.

I have not reconnected or touched a thing.

Am I not supposed to drive my car until I get this firmware updated?

03MUSCLE

03 MUSCLE
Established Member
This stuff is new to me. I had Vmp tune and load it last April. Car is running fine.

^I also loaded a VMP tune in this April. Do i need to be concerned?

overtime

Established Member

You will be fine with your current tune. If you decide to change the tune, I would suggest returning the car to stock, load the new software from SCT and then load your custom tune back on your car.

I had Justin send me a new tune earlier this week since I had Long tubes installed and needed the O2's turned off, so I just updated the software while I had it connected to my computer, loaded the new tune from VMP, then put in the car.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
The update requires you to return the car to stock. There is no way around that. You will then need to reload your tune(s) into the programmer before you can reflash your PCM back to the tune after the update. Where the problem comes in, is if the update renders the programmer useless, and you have to have your tune to run the car, you could have a problem if tech support is not operating when you do it.

GTOGreg

Crazy Sum-B
Established Member
The update requires you to return the car to stock. There is no way around that. You will then need to reload your tune(s) into the programmer before you can reflash your PCM back to the tune after the update. Where the problem comes in, is if the update renders the programmer useless, and you have to have your tune to run the car, you could have a problem if tech support is not operating when you do it.

This is an excellent point -- make sure you're in the window for tech support before updating!!! You don't want to do this late on a Friday night...just as you wouldn't upgrade your phone's OS before a long business trip (ask me how I know :rolleyes:)

Kenneth

Established Member
You will then need to reload your tune(s) into the programmer before you can reflash your PCM back to the tune after the update. .

Wait a minute, IF I'm understanding this correctly you have to.

Return the car to stock.

UPDATE SCT(which will erase tune that are previously on there)?

Reload tunes to SCT

Reload MOD tune to car.

What if you don't have a copy of your Mod tune???

When I bought my SCT it came preloaded with the tune I requested.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
What if you don't have a copy of your Mod tune???

When I bought my SCT it came preloaded with the tune I requested.
I'd contact support on that one and see if you can do anything to keep them. I admit, I had a problem, so what they had to do to mine left the programmer blank. But I have SCTs Advantage software and it wasn't a big deal to load my tunes back on the programmer. If the update worked like it should have, I don't know if my tunes would have remained on the programmer or not.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
SO um yeah...MY came with a Steeda tune that I do not use, but I have a Jhon Lund tune installed, which I do not have a copy of. So how do I get my tune back on the car ?? No way I can drive it with a stock tune..Just not going to happen..

Kenneth

Established Member
I think I'll wait until Monday before I try updating my SCT.

On the other hand, might be a good enough excuse to order another tune.

Users who are viewing this thread