SCT Tuning HELP!

myrsvt

Established Member
Got my new X3 tuner from Rick at Amazon Racing and having problems flashing custom tune on mt 96 Cobra.
I'm getting error code 1019 Unlock ECM Failed. Followed by 1017 Upload Stock Failed and finally 1009 No Tune Changes Written.

Rick tried rewriting the tune but no change. He said to contact SCT to see what those errors mean. I'm in the process of troubleshooting with them now.

They ask if the vehicle had been tuned before (don't know? possably by a previous owner) and to check for 18volts on OBDII pin 13.
I checked and I have .4 volts with key on.

SCT also said ECM may have to be flashed by dealer back to stock?

Anybody ever run into anything like this before?:bash:

This is killing me, I am completely finished with my Vortech install except for the tune and datalogging.

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
If you do somehow have a tune on the car already, you can swap the ecu from another car with the same model number or have a dealer reflash the car (might be able to throw a tech a few $ on the side) or if you install a custom burnt chip and ditch the xcal that might work.

You can PM this guy...

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...x3-question-error-1019-unlock-ecm-failed.html

This guy said the key was in the wrong position..

http://mustangforums.com/forum/amer...-load-my-preloaded-sct-tunes-into-my-car.html

Another key problem..

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-...p-error-codes-when-trying-program-sct-x3.html

SCT's advice...

http://www.sctflash.com/support/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=18&nav=0

Last edited:

myrsvt

Established Member
Thanks, but haven't figured it out yet.
From what i've researched the .4volts on pin 13 may be normal. Some have said that the Programer will momentarly send 18volts via pin 13 to ECU to signal programming??

Or i'm looking at maybe ECU is screwed up and sending/receiving wrong voltage??

Don't know yet?

Anybody have a OBD diagram/identification/voltage/schematic THINGY for our vehicles??:shrug:

myrsvt

Established Member
Ok, here is the latest for anyone who might have this problem in the future.
Don't know if this is the final fix but... I have confirmed that in order to flash the ECM 18 volts must be sent to the ECM thru pin #13 on the OBD connector from your tuning device. I checked by putting a paperclip on the back side of the OBD connector and checking for voltage after pushing the (select) or begin tune on SCTX3 and turning key to on position. My tuner was only sending 3.8 volts intill the error pops up then 2.7 volts.
SCT has authorized a return to check out, repair, or exchange the tuner.

myrsvt

Established Member
:cryying:problem NOT SOLVED!
Got tuner back from SCT yesterday. Tried it out and still getting same errors...starting with the "Unlock ECM Failed"
SCT said they replaced the board and I did check for the 18volts on pin 13 to the ECU and am now getting 18volts (where I wasn't before) but still won't flash custom tune.

Car has been sitting for 2 weeks now since SC install complete but can't drive cause NO TUNE!! :mj:

Looking for any help or troubleshooting ideas?? PLEASE HELP!!

Can't call SCT untill Monday :shrug:

myrsvt

Established Member
I got a wiring diagram yesterday and unhooked the ECU to check for continuity between:

OBD pin 13 (Flash EPROM Supply) and ECU pin 13...OK
OBD pin 2 (Data+) and ECU pin 16...OK
OBD pin 10 (Data-) and ECU pin 15...OK

All checked out OK.
Does this indicate a problem with ECU??
I'm not sure if the ECU had been flashed with a previous owner but if so would dealer flash to stock be necessary?

BUELLER?.....ANYONE?....BUELLER?...ANYONE????

COME ON GUYS, NEED HELP!!

blksheep618

same issue

I am getting the same error and was told by SCT that it could be because its chipped. I plan on taking the ECM out tonight to confirm.

For me, I get the same error but my Theft Detection light starts flashing and the only way I can start it again is to read the DTS code from the SCT, which resets the code.

If you have any new info, i would appreciate the feedback.

myrsvt

Established Member
Problem Solved!! Finally

After talking to SCT and Rick at Amazon Tuning several times and everyone running out of ideas SCT said send it back again (a second time).
I said ok and how about I send you my ECU as well (since they hinted it might be a problem on my end).

Well long story short I sent ECM an Tuner all back again to SCT, they replaced the board in the tuner (again) successfully flashed my ECU sent it all back to me and everything works fine.

A month lost but oh well.... good learning experience I guess.

Lessons learned:

1. Must have 18volts on OBDII pin 13 from tuner to flash ECU

2. Make sure no chip is in J3 port on rear of ECU in order to flash

3. Whatever program is in the EEPROM will become the stock download
program in the SCT X3. (only one program at a time is ever stored in
the ECU)

4. From what Ford and most everyone else says ECUs almost never go bad

5. And MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL just because you buy something new, don't always expect it to WORK!!

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
I have been watching this thread with interest. Glad to see it worked out in the end. SCT's products are powerful, but can have a lot of "quirks".

I assume you are running an LLX3 or LLX4 tune. Your next possible SCT bug is in the Load calculations in the SCT tune. If you are running a larger than stock MAF, you may see this problem. My tune gave the wrong Load value after upgrading to a 90mm LMAF. Check to make sure that your Load goes up to at least about 1.3 at the top of your WOT runs. Mine only made it to 0.9 with a 6# KB. Many of the tables use Load for one of the axes, so it is important to get this calculation right in your tune.

If your load comes out too low at the top of the WOT run, check to see about how much you needed to scale down your MAF Transfer Function from the value file that your load for that MAF. Then scale your Engine Displacement by the same percentage.

For example, with my LMAF, after loading the SCT value file, I had to scale down the MTF by about 30% to get the AF dialed in. Then my max load was only 0.9. So I scaled my Engine Displacement down by 30%, and my Load came in at 1.3, which is about right for my setup.

Last edited:

myrsvt

Established Member
Thanks for the input!

SCT actually returned the ECU to stock before they returned it to me and I loaded a base tune from Rick @ Amazon Tuning.

I sent a datalog for revision and am waiting for a new tune from Rick as I'm still running very rich and some surging/idleing issues.

I've waited this long so I'm gonna wait a bit more to get a little more dialed in before I make any WOT pulls.

But lookin forward to rippin this thing and seein what it will do:pepper:

I'm shootin to get it Dyno'd at Mustang Week with ProDyno

Users who are viewing this thread