SCT tuner locked while loading tune now no start 12 gt

98ATLBlueCobra

Established Member
I have had 5 sct tuners in the past on different mustangs in the past but I have never had this happen. I was waiting cruising around today and the wife wanted to meet me at a store so while I was waiting on her I decided to load my 93 octane race tune. During the process the tune failed and it told me to set to stock. I tried this and no luck. I have disconnected the positive and negative for 30 mins and touch the posi and neg together to try and reset with no luck. Any ideas?

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
I have had 5 sct tuners in the past on different mustangs in the past but I have never had this happen. I was waiting cruising around today and the wife wanted to meet me at a store so while I was waiting on her I decided to load my 93 octane race tune. During the process the tune failed and it told me to set to stock. I tried this and no luck. I have disconnected the positive and negative for 30 mins and touch the posi and neg together to try and reset with no luck. Any ideas?

yup, been there done that. You have one of two options depending on how smart you decided to be. If you saved your stock tune after first tuning your car, call SCT monday as they are closed on the weekends and can't do this for you till then and they will have you give them your backup file and they will create a recovery file to restore your car and they also restore your tuner back to 100% factory stock image. They then load their recovery file and then have you flash that too the car.

If you didn't save the stock tune, and chances are 99% it is too late as it is corrupt on the tuner, least that was my case but I had an earily backup saved I managed to find, you'll have to have it towed to a Ford dealer and the PCM reflashed. I have heard it costs 75+ to have this done. thankfully I saved my stock tune and never had to do this.

If you can wait until monday, at least attempt to save the stock tune now and tell them exactly what happened and that you saved the stock tune post the car "bricking" and see if they can build the recovery file from that. At the time when they told me about that, the percentage of times it actually worked was fairly low. This was maybe a year ago.

I had Bama tunes at the time too, and this happened twice with their tunes too me and I can only believe it too be faulty tunes as they never ran right to begin with.

Last edited:

scotmach

Established Member
This is why it's critical to save your stock tune in case you get into a situation like this and while the chances are slim it's got a good practice to swap tunes at home so you're not stranded somewhere.

98ATLBlueCobra

Established Member
Saving the stock tune - are you referring to saving it on a computer or on the tuner. I thought the tuner automatically saved the stock tune to itself upon initial hookup.

scotmach

Established Member
Saving the stock tune - are you referring to saving it on a computer or on the tuner. I thought the tuner automatically saved the stock tune to itself upon initial hookup.

Saving it on your computer. Yes the tuner will save your stock tune but it will be of know help if you brick your ECU.

darreng505

Established Member
Some flash/ECU services will come to you to reflash your ECU with the Ford IDS system. That's what I had to do when I had version conflicts.

You can export your SCT tunes onto your computer. A good idea.

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
This thread reminded me to back up the stock tune to my PC. I made another backup to my NAS.

+1 I have it in a couple places including a CD-Rom stored away too just incase. Not that I expect anything to happen, but would be my luck to have the house burn down AND my car brick at the same time and loose copies of my stock tune :p

98ATLBlueCobra

Established Member
Thanks for the information guys. I'm having it towed to ford. My dad works there and I believe it may just be easier to deal with them first and go from there. Sct is closed and who knows if they will reply to my tech support email. From now on ill only do changes at the house and back up my stock data on computer.

Ultrakla$$ic

WhoFlungPoo
Established Member
Keep trying. There are a few that kept trying to flash and for some reason it ended up working after numerous trys.

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
Thanks for the information guys. I'm having it towed to ford. My dad works there and I believe it may just be easier to deal with them first and go from there. Sct is closed and who knows if they will reply to my tech support email. From now on ill only do changes at the house and back up my stock data on computer.

another thing that is vital, that most people don't realize, is to turn off the radio and the air, headlights, etc. When changing tunes any of the above *can* cause the car to brick.

you pretty much want as little drain on the battery as possible while tuning the car, so anything not needed to be on to tune the car, turn it off!

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
+1 I have it in a couple places including a CD-Rom stored away too just incase. Not that I expect anything to happen, but would be my luck to have the house burn down AND my car brick at the same time and loose copies of my stock tune :p

If all that happened simultaneously, you better play the lottery and wear a lightening proof suit at all times.

another thing that is vital, that most people don't realize, is to turn off the radio and the air, headlights, etc. When changing tunes any of the above *can* cause the car to brick.

you pretty much want as little drain on the battery as possible while tuning the car, so anything not needed to be on to tune the car, turn it off!

Truth! That's why I turn off everything, roll down the windows, close the doors, and tune from outside the car.

Last edited:

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
If all that happened simultaneously, you better play the lottery and wear a lightening proof suit at all times.

Truth! That's why I turn off everything, roll down the windows, close the doors, and tune from outside the car.

*pulls off tin foil hat* shhh, they'll hear you...

haha.

I only open the window too so I can start the tuning process and walk away from the car for a few mins and do something else :p.

98ATLBlueCobra

Established Member
I had the windows down headlights off, radio off, and made sure map light went off. Ford was able to return it back to stock with no problem. Now since I did not turn the car back to stock with my tuner is my tuner locked now?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
*pulls off tin foil hat* shhh, they'll hear you...

haha.

:lol:

I had the windows down headlights off, radio off, and made sure map light went off. Ford was able to return it back to stock with no problem. Now since I did not turn the car back to stock with my tuner is my tuner locked now?

Since it's still married to your PCM, shouldn't it be fine? Unless the new stock tune changed the PCM identifiers?

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
:lol:

Since it's still married to your PCM, shouldn't it be fine? Unless the new stock tune changed the PCM identifiers?

no, means he'll have to contact SCT Monday and have them unlock it for him. They might charge you for that. I would explain everything too them and see what they do for you. They really are a great bunch and might do it for free. I've only had to call them twice but both times they were excellent too work with.

Right now the tuner being married to his car, will look for the info on the PCM saying it is married and reject it because it isn't there and it sees a completely stock PCM.

nsty4vlve

Got Boost?
Established Member
I fried 2 pcms on my car first was that stupid procal and it completly fried my pcm and I had to buy a new one all together. The second time was my fault I unpluged the sct from the car while it was take the stock tune off the car and it fried the pcm again had ford replace it again and from then on I won't even sit in my car while I'm tuning my car just to be safe. My buddy fried his pcm also because he was not getting the sct manditory updates when he got new tunes so so the programs where wrong. Always make sure your tuner is up to date before swapping to new tunes.

Users who are viewing this thread