Sct tuner advice

04termi black beast

Established Member
I came to the car to see if my device is married to the car and this is what I got.
20171207_131006.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

01yellercobra

Established Member
I don't think you understand what I wrote. You can only use that handheld to datalog with. Tuners can not write tunes for that device any longer.

So if you plan to tune the car at all, you need a new device.

--Joe
I wonder what changed? The Xcal2 still shows up as an option in my software. I was able to load tunes on it before, but it wouldn't connect to my car. It acted line it waa still locked to my old car. Which it wasn't.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

cj428mach

Established Member
SCT doesn't support that model anymore. Tuners will not be able to make you a tune for it anymore. Sorry, thats part of the fun of dealing with SCT.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I tuned an Xcal2 car the other day. Works just fine.

LOL, nice. I figured they still worked! You were going to send me a tune the other day and didn't say a word about xcal2's not working. Bad info on this thread

OP, you're fine with what you have.....datalogging AND tuning. No need to upgrade $$$ if you don't want to

04termi black beast

Established Member

04termi black beast

Established Member
I tuned an Xcal2 car the other day. Works just fine.
Nice, I been trying to get you to tune my car for months already lol, you told my once to do it any Saturday but never got a call from you. I'll send you another text so you know who I am. I would like for you to tune my car.

04termi black beast

Established Member
LOL, nice. I figured they still worked! You were going to send me a tune the other day and didn't say a word about xcal2's not working. Bad info on this thread

OP, you're fine with what you have.....datalogging AND tuning. No need to upgrade $$$ if you don't want to
I really don't want to spend money if I don't have to. I'm waiting for my second baby son and am short on $

01yellercobra

Established Member
It's not bad info, if SCT themselves said they no longer support the device.

--Joe
Supporting the device and being able to use it to transfer tunes is two different things. Support means if the device goes bad for whatever reason they won't fix it. But as long as the device is good it can be used to transfer tunes.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
It's not bad info, if SCT themselves said they no longer support the device.

--Joe

Here's what you said

I don't think you understand what I wrote. You can only use that handheld to datalog with. Tuners can not write tunes for that device any longer.

So if you plan to tune the car at all, you need a new device.

The device can still be used to transfer tunes. SCT not "supporting" a previous model device...... and that device not being able to be written to and transfer tunes to a car's computer are two entirely different things. You made it sound like the OP is shit out of luck and needs to drop his xcal2 in the trash and order a new device.

I'm using my xcal2 until it sprouts wings and flies off to sct handheld heaven. Until then, it still can be written to and transfer tunes to my car.

dumbstixlars

Established Member
Since you guys are more familiar with these tuners then I perhaps you can answer this for me. These newer tuners, do they write directly to the ecu? My car came tuned, but it is an older setup that is piggybacked off the service port on the ecu.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Since you guys are more familiar with these tuners then I perhaps you can answer this for me. These newer tuners, do they write directly to the ecu? My car came tuned, but it is an older setup that is piggybacked off the service port on the ecu.

SCT uses a hand held device to transfer the tune from the computer to the car. HP writes directly to the ECU, but doesn't support our cars yet. Whichever tuning software cj428 uses writes to directly to the ECU I believe. But I'm not sure which software that is.

dumbstixlars

Established Member
SCT uses a hand held device to transfer the tune from the computer to the car. HP writes directly to the ECU, but doesn't support our cars yet. Whichever tuning software cj428 uses writes to directly to the ECU I believe. But I'm not sure which software that is.

So the SCT-4's have a module that gets programmed and hooked into the service port also? Mine is an SCT, but it is super old.

01yellercobra

Established Member
So the SCT-4's have a module that gets programmed and hooked into the service port also? Mine is an SCT, but it is super old.
It's plugged into the OBD II port and the tune is loaded that way. You don't have to leave it plugged in once the tune is loaded.

dumbstixlars

Established Member
It's plugged into the OBD II port and the tune is loaded that way. You don't have to leave it plugged in once the tune is loaded.

OK, that's what I thought, I found a video of a guy doing just that with an 04 Mach 1. I ask this because my car has an old SCT switch chip in it, and because of this I can't fully mount the ECU in it's bracket. Plus the tune is from 09, so I figure a newer tuner and tune will be in order when I start changing parts.

Users who are viewing this thread