Screw In Tire, What would you do?

Zeroescence

Established Member
Hey guys, Need some help. What would you do in this situation. Is there a warranty from the manufacture of the tire? Will Ford help me? Should I buy a new tire? What have you other GT500 owners done in this situation? Thanks guys.

Im super depressed as I just installed my MGW and have no more 1-2 grind and wanted to take her for a drive. Life is life I guess.:mj: Here is a photo of the screw. I pulled it out cause the tire had little to know air in it.

tire.gif

VaporDude

Established Member
Don't plug it, it tears the steel belts more and you would be in more trouble. Ford doesn't warranty road hazard which this would be and I don't believe the tire company will either. Ford will tell you to take it to the tire company anyway. They may pro-rate that tire for you.

Van@RevanRacing

Hey guys, Need some help. What would you do in this situation. Is there a warranty from the manufacture of the tire? Will Ford help me? Should I buy a new tire? What have you other GT500 owners done in this situation? Thanks guys.

Im super depressed as I just installed my MGW and have no more 1-2 grind and wanted to take her for a drive. Life is life I guess.:mj: Here is a photo of the screw. I pulled it out cause the tire had little to know air in it.

tire.gif

That sucks. Sorry dude.

R U TRIPIN

Established Member
And to think when I spoke to you early, you were real happy about the shifter. Now this. Sucks. Check with your insurance company. If you have a zero comp deductible. They might replace it for you. Not sure though.

Zeroescence

Established Member
That sucks. Sorry dude.

Yep, thanks Van. Shitty part also is I only have 1200 miles on her.

And to think when I spoke to you early, you were real happy about the shifter. Now this. Sucks. Check with your insurance company. If you have a zero comp deductible. They might replace it for you. Not sure though.

I know right. Thanks I'll call my insurance tomorrow.

Last edited:

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
I wouldn't think that is too close to the sidewall, but okay.
Ironically, I had a nail in my right real in the middle of the tread. I took it to Discount Tire today and they patched it for FREE!
S.

BOD89LX

Established Member
Check with discount tire and get one new tire and get there Road hazard on the new one and they will let you add the other 3 tires as well then if it happens again you are covered, but will have to eat the cost of this tire.

SIRLOIN

Established Member
On a tire I plan to haul ass on? Took it to a couple places and they said its to close to the side wall and that they wouldn't patch it.

Man if i could only count how many plugs i had put into my tires that people said it wouldn't work cause it was too close to the sidewall. Said it wouldn't last very long and it was dangerous. That was followed up by "I will gladly sell you a new tire, but we can't fix it"...:rolleyes:

So needless to say i drove to some mom and pop place down the road and asked them to plug it. They told me the same thing, but i got him to plug it for me anyway. In the next two months or so i shit you not, i had that same tire plugged like 3 more times by the same guy. Just about all of them close to the sidewall like before. After the second time he was like, "man this thing is gonna let go anytime now, but if thats what you want, i'll do it". Fast forward about 5 months, tire going bald, countless burnouts and what not, the tire was still holding up.

The moral of this story is that yes, yes you absolutely can plug your tire. I don't give a damn how close it is to the sidewall. Is there a possibility something could happen? Sure, i suppose... Thats up to you to decide if you wanna buy a new tire every time you get a puncture, or just plug/patch the damn thing. My honest opinion is i think you will be fine. Just don't be trying to do any 200 mph runs with that plugged tire lol...

Zeroescence

Established Member
Check with discount tire and get one new tire and get there Road hazard on the new one and they will let you add the other 3 tires as well then if it happens again you are covered, but will have to eat the cost of this tire.

Thanks, I'm going to Goodyear store tomorrow (only place open) and I'll see if they will prorate the tire and give me the road hazard warranty on all 4.

Last edited:

Dsg-shaker

American Slothstronaut!
Established Member
Man if i could only count how many plugs i had put into my tires that people said it wouldn't work cause it was too close to the sidewall. Said it wouldn't last very long and it was dangerous. That was followed up by "I will gladly sell you a new tire, but we can't fix it"...:rolleyes:

So needless to say i drove to some mom and pop place down the road and asked them to plug it. They told me the same thing, but i got him to plug it for me anyway. In the next two months or so i shit you not, i had that same tire plugged like 3 more times by the same guy. Just about all of them close to the sidewall like before. After the second time he was like, "man this thing is gonna let go anytime now, but if thats what you want, i'll do it". Fast forward about 5 months, tire going bald, countless burnouts and what not, the tire was still holding up.

The moral of this story is that yes, yes you absolutely can plug your tire. I don't give a damn how close it is to the sidewall. Is there a possibility something could happen? Sure, i suppose... Thats up to you to decide if you wanna buy a new tire every time you get a puncture, or just plug/patch the damn thing. My honest opinion is i think you will be fine. Just don't be trying to do any 200 mph runs with that plugged tire lol...

This^ the recaps we run usually have five or more plugs in them and usually don't have issues unless the cap peels off but I'm sure op isn't running recap tires.

zr1gerhardt

You can't outrun ugly!
Established Member
See what they say.

Keep in mind, if they do attempt to fix it, make sure you understand what the implications are to your speed ratings on the tire. A "plug" probably kills the rating. I don't know about Goodyear, but Michelin has a multiple step process for patching the Cup tires on my ZR1 from the inside. Slow fix, but it works per Michelin.

Scott

BlownAway03

Established Member

I'm with you, man. That is not too close to the sidewall at all. I would plug it if it were mine, maybe even have it patched if that makes you feel better. I personally have never witnessed any ill effects from plugging a tire. I was a tech for 7 years and did it all the time. Only if it was actually in the sidewall did I advise the customer against it. I even plugged a Nitto drag radial on my old 03 Cobra soon after I have purchased a new set. Many burnouts later, when the tires were bald, that plug was still there and I had no blowout.

Hwy. Chile

Established Member
I'm with you, man. That is not too close to the sidewall at all. I would plug it if it were mine, maybe even have it patched if that makes you feel better. I personally have never witnessed any ill effects from plugging a tire. I was a tech for 7 years and did it all the time. Only if it was actually in the sidewall did I advise the customer against it. I even plugged a Nitto drag radial on my old 03 Cobra soon after I have purchased a new set. Many burnouts later, when the tires were bald, that plug was still there and I had no blowout.

This and what SIRLOIN said. I've had countless plugs on my Audi and your screw would be one that any of the shops I deal with would plug. I've never had an issue with a plug failing.

Dizzyscure1

Established Member
I had a tire a few months ago bought brand new and later that day i got a screw in the side wall also down $600 LOL! It sucks booty but your going to need another tire if you intend on driving the car any more, just think about the possibilities of this tire blowing out because that could total your car or kill you.

eagle eye

Established Member
You're probably saying to yourself, "it had to happen on this car and not the daily driver" right? Well S*** happens.
First off, hopefully you unscrewed the drywall screw and not pulled it out. This would minimize the damage to the steel belt.
Secondly,using a plug has always been considered to be temporary. Sure there are people who have had good luck with plugs and thats all it is, good luck. I might trust a plugged tire on my winter beater but I wonder if they would drive that plugged tire at speed? 150 + I wouldn't.
The proper thing to do is either replace the tire or go to a retreater and have them repair it by vulcanizing a section in and have it rebalanced.
This would be considered a safe and permanent repair.

Marc

Established Member
I had a tire a few months ago bought brand new and later that day i got a screw in the side wall also down $600 LOL! It sucks booty but your going to need another tire if you intend on driving the car any more, just think about the possibilities of this tire blowing out because that could total your car or kill you.

Exactly. Its only a tire. Replace it and take the hit now. Think of it blowing out and destroying your $60K toy or worse you get hurt.

Users who are viewing this thread