Scratchy III. First Ride Rewiew!!

Whiskey City

Established Member
Prologue:
Scratchy I, Stock
Scratchy II, Level-5 IRS, Whipple
Scratchy III, Crazy-built tranny w/ guaranteed 3rd-gear gettin' internals, Hellion T76 TURBO!

WOW, what a day! First, I get to sneak out of work around 2:00 w/ Postban to take him to the thriving metropolis of Jackson to pick up his ride...[sound=banjo pickin']it felt like home to me.[/sound] Then, it's back to the Detroit-area's 2nd City, Whyne-dotte.

First impressions? The turbo sound is freakin' overwhelming at speed. A thunderous roar as the motor grabs revs like a homeless dude picking through the trash for aluminum cans and then the unmistakeable whistle of a big-ass TURBO. And the blow-off valve when he dumps the boost?? Only one word sums it up for me...RICE-CAR!

Because Postban is Postban, and just can't stop modding his car, as soon as we got to the Garage-mahal, he did his first mod...see below.

First%20Mod.jpg

That's right. Electrial tape over the A/F gage. Ok, now that that's out of the way, it's off to dinner at Sports and then a little pre-dreamcruising on Fort Street. We do a little stop light-to-stop light bragging and get some nods from passerbys. We blow by some teens in an '05 V6 Stang and when we come to the next light, the guy and girl tells us, "That's a NICE car!". When the light turns green...Scratchy falls flat on her face. She goes down like a $2 whore on payday. We look at each other and I know we're thinking the same thing...WTF?. The car starts but won't stay running under 2k. We limp into a strip mall...almost getting T-boned by an effonefiddy coming the other way (yes, I did say a prayer or two). We pop the hood and find the problem right away. The intake "boot" became separated from the TB. So, it's off to AutoZone to bum a tool to do some...WRENCHING

Wrenching.jpg

We had to bum a wrench from the "experts" behind the counter. Let me say one thing about that. AutoZone's slogan is something like, "We know cars". **caugh** bullshit **caugh** We fielded questions like, "Is that a 5.0?" and "You guys ever been to Milan?" :bash: Anyway, back to the review.

So, we got the car back together and run it around a bit. Here's a pic of the new-hottness boost controler as we spool up:
Mad%20Boost.jpg

Notice how it fits nicely in my hand? I Postban told me that portable guages are the new thing. I can't believe I never heard that before. I guess it's because I live in KY. We're a little behind the curve when it comes to the latest and greatest in car tech..(please see large orange word above).

So then we went back to Fort St. and cruised for an hour or so. Saw lots of nice old rides and a few good looking new ones. :thumbsup:

All kidding aside, Scratchy III hits HARD when that turbo spools up. Dave'll post the dyno curve and you'll see how the car gains almost 400 hp in the span of about 850 rpm. It's like being shot out of a cannon. Massive ass squeezing and "tunnel vision" is the word for the day as the speedo needle runs to the right quicker than Hillary Clinton when asked about the WOT. There's still some work to do before this car is running up to it's potential but I have to say that I am thoroughly impressed and can't wait to see this MONSTER on the track. :bowdown:

Good job, Dave. :rockon: :beer:

Last edited:

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
The wiperblade pic must not have come out or that would be up there too :lol:

for the rest of you, guess which ones are on my car right now.............?

attachment.php

yep, 3rd from the bottom, "SUPERCHARGED"

JP, you got a set of normal ones?

Had a great time last night, car runs great, lots of stuff to get used to though.
The trans, omg does the 2-3 and 3-4 clunk and slam into gear.

Still gotta mount the controller as seen above.

Thanks for helping me pick up the car shannon :beer:

dougwg

Established Member
I bet JP could make you a set that say "Hair Dryer" :)

"400 hp in the span of about 850 rpm"

a little math.....
redline = around 7k

so under 6150rpm you only have 270hp? :shrug:

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
MidLifeC said:
It's good to hear Scratchy's back on the road. See you tomorrow at the cruise?

guaranteed :rockon:

Spent the day detailing it after finishing mounting the boost controller and hooking up the wideband. Shannons electric tape pic is out of date now :p

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Autometer #2152 Carbon fiber 2-5/8" gauge cup. I cheated and wrapped electrical tape around the boddy of the controller.
Yep, I trimmed the bracket too.
scratchy005.jpg

scratchy006.jpg

scratchy007.jpg

scratchy008.jpg

scratchy009.jpg

scratchy010.jpg

scratchy011.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread