Scratches and swirls

Black99L

SVT FAN!
Established Member
Hey guys, I need some advice. My poor truck is loaded with scratches and swirl marks and I cant get rid of them. It is a daily driven (year round) black 99L. I have tried several different waxes, scratch removers etc, but nothing works. I dont have any experience with buffers, so everything has always been applied by hand. I was thinking of taking it to a professional once the winter is over. Am I better of going to a detail center or my body guy? Is there a permanent fix for my problem or will they keep coming back? This is the first black vehicle I have ever owned and boy is it a lot of work to keep it looking nice :) Thanks in advance for the help.

spree

Established Member
Few things...

1) Get a porter cable. They're a lifesaver. I personally use the PC7424...it's a very safe machine to use. It's expensive (costs about $180-$200 for the machine and the appropriate pads), but I've used it a lot so far. A rotary would be better, but I don't recommend using that on your truck without practicing on something else that you don't care about first.
2) Get a good swirl remover. Poorboy's SSR 2.5 or 3 should do the trick. Meguiar's Dual Action Cutting Polish (DACP) is also a quality product.
3) Get rid of whatever created the swirl marks in the first place. Often times, people wash/dry their cars with bad mitts/towels.

tropi-care.com

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Check out www.coastaltool.com for the PC #7424 at $119 + shipping. It also comes with the 6" velcro backing plate. We also have available the 6" x 1.75"thick black buffing and yellow polishing pads for the PC at $10.99 each.

Use the CD test to check your towels and applicators. If it's scratches the CD, it will likely scratch the paint surface.

Some customers report excellent results with removal of spider scratches and heavy swirls with 3M Perfect II Rubbing Compound followed by Tropi-Care TC-8 Swirl Remover. The paint preparation will take time but will be worth the effort in the long run.

Black99L

SVT FAN!
Established Member
Hey guys, Thanks for the help. With the PC, is there any chance of me causing more harm then good, seeing as I am inexperienced with power tools? Sometimes I perfer to leave my truck dirty because after the wash, it brings out all the scratches and swirls and it looks just as bad as if it were dirty :(

spree

Established Member
Not really. The PC is a very safe tool to use (it doesn't generate enough heat to cause any damage to your paint).

Black99L

SVT FAN!
Established Member
Thanks for the help guys, now I know what to put on my christmas list. As far as the compounds and swirl removers, I have 3m scratch and swirl remover that I got at pep boys, will that work well with the pc? Can I find the others that you suggested at any local auto store?

spree

Established Member
I've never used the 3M stuff with a PC, but it did a decent job the one time I applied it by hand. I'd try it out with a PC, and if it doesn't do the trick, you can try those other products.

jknowles4

Established Member
Look on autopia.org for many answers to your questions about getting rid of the swirls and scratches on your truck. I've found a lot of helpful information there.

loadmastergf

Established Member
formula 113 will take the swirl marks out i have an 03 mach 1 black so i know what u mean and i also detail vehicles for a living.

Edited by HISSMAN. No unauthorized advertising.

Last edited by a moderator:

Black99L

SVT FAN!
Established Member
formula 113 will take the swirl marks out i have an 03 mach 1 black so i know what u mean and i also detail vehicles for a living.

Any idea where I can find formula 113? Thanks :)

Scott P

Established Member
Black99L said:

Any idea where I can find formula 113? Thanks :)

Don't waste your time. I don't make a habit of commenting on a competitor's products, but since this guy is trolling in a forum I help sponsor, I feel I have a right to make "corrections".

Formula 113 is a solvent-laden cleaner wax with so-so durability and decent at best results. It may fill some light scratches and do some mild paint cleaning, but there are much better products onthe market.

For swirl removal, I would go with Poorboy's SSR line of swirl removers. It can be done by hand with some good ol' effort using SSR2, then be followed up with SSR1. If using a machine, I would step up to SSR2.5 with a polishing pad follwed by SSR1 with a polishing pad. You would then be ready to apply your glaze, wax and or sealant.

The Poorboy's line is available from my store. The link is in my sig. You can also shoot me an email or call me and I'll make sure you get the right products without getting anything you won't need or won't be able to use.

Black99L

SVT FAN!
Established Member
Hey everyone, Merry Christmas.. I got my PC today and I had a few more questions.
1) Should I buy another polishing pad? That way I will have one for the wax and one for the swirl remover? If so, where do you recomend I get it?
2) The PC has 6 different speeds, Which one do you recomend I use?
3) The 6" velcro backing plate.. What is that used for?
4) I am currently searching for the best swirl remover.. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks a lot for the help and please excuse my ignorance.

Last edited:

Scott P

Established Member
It sounds like you got a 7336SP for Christmas. Lucky you! The standard pad that comes with that model is a good little pad, but there are much better options around. Let me see what help I can provide.

You’ll need a velcro backing plate. You use it to attach the foam pads you will be buying. Foam pads come in different sizes, colors and textures. They are often referenced by color and texture. However, there is no standard. One company will produce a white polishing pad when another one will produce a white finishing pad. It can get pretty confusing. I recommend that you start with one brand first, try the different textures and work from there.

I sell Lake Country pads. They are the most popular pad in the industry. LC makes pads for all of the major detailing supply companies. The pads that I carry are the 6.5” Curved Edge Variable Contact pad. The pad measures 6.5” in the back and 7.5” across the front. Here is a picture to help you out:

LC_CEVC_Asst.jpg

Back Row L-R: Yellow Cutting, Orange Light Cutting/Heavy Use pad, Green Aggressive Polish
Front Row L-R: White Polishing, Black Finishing, Blue Final Finishing

The yellow pad is the most aggressive. You would use it with a stronger to quickly level paint and remove swirls and scratches. It is aggressive, so some hazing will be left behind.

The orange pad is somewhat special. It had a decent cutting action, but is more durable that the yellow pad. It is marketed as an OEM pad for workers on a line. It doesn’t ct as well as the yellow pad, but it will tackle most jobs. It will leave behind some hazing.

The green pad is a newer texture. It is a fairly aggressive polishing pad. It offers more bite than the standard white polishing pad. If using a stronger swirl remover or polish, it can leave some minor hazing behind.

The white pad is the most often used pad. It is great at removing many swirls (when used with the right products) and doesn’t leave any hazing behind. It is perfect for final polishing before a last step product. I would go with at least two or more of this pad as a starter.

The black pad is the standard finishing pad in the industry. It is soft and applies sealants and waxes in very thin coats. It is perfect for the first layer of wax or sealant on a finish.

The blue pad is a new entrant as well. This final finishing pad is the softest pad I’ve ever seen. It is great for glazing as well as adding multiple layers of sealants. I’m replacing my black pads with these in my personal arsenal.

As far as product selection goes, I like the SSR line from Poorboy’s World. Based on the severity of swirls, I would start with SSR2.5 and a white polishing pad. Working in a 2 ft square section or so, spread the product evenly with the machine set to 4, then crank it up to 5.5 or so. Work the area back and forth and up and down with overlapping lines until the product just about disappears. Wipe the area down with a microfiber towel and check you progress. It may take multiple passes to get everything looking nice. You may also need to step up to a more aggressive pad like a yellow, orange or green one.

Once you have that done, I would step to SSR1 and another white polishing pad. This final polish will remove any possible hazing from the previous step. Work the product the same way you did the previous step.

Meguiar’s also makes some nice products. I would go with their Dual Action Cleaner Polish, #83 as a first step. Then, you can flow up with #80 Swirl Free Polish (I think I have those numbers right).

Once you have the swirls out, you can them top with your choice of last step products. You have a full selection to choose from including waxes, sealants or even both.

Hope this helped. :beer:

Black99L

SVT FAN!
Established Member
Hey Scott, Thanks so much for your help. I got the 7424 PC and it actually came with a 6" hook and loop contour pad with 6 dust holes. Is that necessary for anything? As for the pads you sell.. Do they come together in a package or do I need to buy them seperately? Also, where can I find the velcro backing plate? As for the products, If I start with the poorboy's line and finish with Cherry Wet Wax (I already have this product), do you think that will do the trick to take care of my problem? Thanks again!

BLWN03

I'm a Hustla Baby!!!!!
Established Member
I do auto detailing on the side...your not that far from me maybe 1.5 hr's if you don't get it the way you want give me a shout i can help you out as long as the paint isn't burnt...i have many pics of cars i have fixed here's one really good example...I use all Body shop issue supplies by 3M

Before..

detailjobs0105ql.jpg

detailjobs0120dd.jpg

After
detailjobs0136md.jpg

detailjobs0184vt.jpg

detailjobs0175ip.jpg

Last edited:

GeoSnake

Mustang Week Staff
Established Member
For black, I've always had really good luck w/ 3M's Dark Car Swirl and Haze remover. Follow that w/ a quality top coating. Detailing is a trial and error thing and no one detailer will use exactly the same steps to get to final coat.

Slowbra01

Established Member
are these foam pads washable and reusable?? i am looking into getting a pc myself but have always wondered about the pads... where can i get the pc and along with everything else i need such as extra pads, the backing plate and the such as a kit/package?

Users who are viewing this thread