*&!$%....Scratched my rims

cobra808

Established Member
:cryying: :cryying: :cryying:

My mag rims met it's unfriendly neighbor Mr. Curbside the other morning.

Doesn't look too bad, just slightly scraped the rim lip on one of the wheels. Any suggestions in trying to refinish the rim lip surface? Thinking about using a Dremel tool.

thanks....WC

Ghoust

Will Over Skill
Established Member
there are wheel shops who repair stuff like that..last time I had to do it on my GT and went to a shop who charged me 50 bucks to make them look perty again.

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
I had the same thing happen to me a few months ago. The company that repairs rims in Dallas wanted a flat $250 per rim, light scratch or heavy damage the same price. I said screw that, I could get another stock rim for that price! I bought a Dremel tool and a small metal grinding stone and smoothed my edge out. Can you tell it's been fixed - yes, if you are looking for it. But, it doesn't show up like the scrapes do. To be honest, I have forgotten about it until you posted this...

I would say for $35 - try the Dremel. You may be happy with the results and still have the Dremel for use around the house as well. If you still aren't happy, then get the rims fixed professionally.

EDIT - the price was $109 - don't know why I remember $250... :shrug: Anyway - to me a flat fee sucked! Anyway - here is my post when I rubbed mine on the curbs:

Click Here

Last edited:

B-O-B'03

Established Member
If you don't have the chrome wheels already, just trade them in :idea:

The chrome wheels, with the trade will cost $695.

The black cars beg to have chrome wheels on them :coolman:

I can post a few pics, if you want to see them.

-Brian

cobra808

Established Member
Thanks folks for the replies.

Have some chromies on order and hope to get them soon.

I'll try Dr. Dremel for now just to ease the pain a bit.

WC

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
just make sure you dont use too abrasive a bit, mr dremel makes aluminum dissappear very quickly if your ham-handed;-)

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
I have repaired curbed aluminum (uncoated) wheels with great results.

Dismount the tire first, to have unimpeded access to the rim lip.

Take a large flat fine tooth file, hold it completely flat against the surface, and make one pass, one way. Then slap the file against the dismounted tire's tread to dislodge the large aluminum bits (these will gouge the soft aluminum and cause a groove...not what you want). Repeat this until the rim lip is smooth.

If this is done correctly, and not a whole lot a aluminum is taken out of only one place (feather it out for about 3-4 inches around the repair if it's really bad), it is undetectable. It appears like the machined face of the rim lip.

I have found a 10000 RPM Dremel sanding roll cuts like a mother if I'm not careful.

Good luck.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Don't feel bad. I did the same thing to the rear passenger rim yesterday morning. I was backing into a parking spot and really thought I was farther away then I was. Those small mirrors don't help, either. Fortunately I only scratch the edge/lip of the rim by maybe one inch. I'm going to use the Dremel tool to buff it out. You can hardly notice it now so the tool should work fine. Now if that was the chrome wheel it would have looked even worse. (Something to think about.) In a way it was a good thing because we all tend to dread that first scratch. At least it's done now. LOL!

Users who are viewing this thread