SCOTT ROD panels install

1990jmcturbo

@03svtjmc
Established Member
hey everyone. so here in michigan, winter is right around the corner. which means cold cold weather and alot of snow (hopefully). the last week i tackled this project of getting these scott rod panels installed. i wanted a little kick start before it gets to cold and harder to lay the paint nice. the panels did take some work to fit nice. as expected nothing is perfect. after cutting the up a bit i got them to fit nice and snug. i installed the panels over the old ones with motor in the car. ive heard people either using panel bond, or welding around the seams. so i did both. i first spread panel bond along the original panels then stuck the scott rod panels against it in place. keeping the panel bond away from the corners, then i spot welded around the panels to the orignal ones. after i ground down the welds i then went over the welds with more panel bond sense i was nervous of flexing and cracking the paint. i let that cure followed by body filler over that and alot of sanding. it was hard to get in the corners so i tried my best, when the body work was done i did use some Fast and firm seam sealer along the inside to help make it smooth, to get the best finish i could i used prep all (grease and wax remover) to help smear the seam sealer into a nice radius. then i primer filled, sanded, primer filled, sanded. then primer sealer, then 4 coats of sonic blue base with 3 coats of clear. im by no means a body guy. i dont do a lot of body work. but this worked for me. im sure there are much better efficient ways to do it. but i found this worked for me pretty good. here are some photos.
4q1jk7.jpg

15gumvm.jpg

2n8wo5g.jpg

24mrk0z.jpg

2u9om6e.jpg

34nirud.jpg

261kj91.jpg

Mach1Stang

1994 327 Stroker
Established Member
Great job! I'm in the process of doing the exact same thing to my 94 but with the motor out of the car. I'm doing is basically the exact way you did.

coposrv

Established Member
Nice work. Where'd you get the paint? I like seeing more guys use panel bond to install these. Gives me motivation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hunterp

Established Member
Did you just get the panels for the Fox body? I noticed on their website that they don't have anything specific to the 03-04 cars.

1990jmcturbo

@03svtjmc
Established Member
update. panels came out good. i still need to wet sand them but im gonna let it cure good for a little while before wet sanding. i started wet sanding driver side some then noticed a spot i wanted to touch up.maybe sunday or so i will get to wet sanding it and polishing so its all a real nice shiny finish. yesterday i pulled the harness out, there routed in front of the motor that runs over to the starter. it was kinda close to my hot side so i had it wrapped in heat insulation. wasnt much of a fan of it. so now im gonna run it around the front of my core support and extend the wires. try and make this engine bay empty! also about to pull the intake sense im switching to a sullivan forward facing..

14813459_10209613149879297_1544108060_n_zpszq7bhljp.jpg

14800789_10209613151039326_1918494808_n_zpswtciiglb.jpg

14813548_10209613151079327_777581737_n_zpshws5cuym.jpg

Last edited:

1990jmcturbo

@03svtjmc
Established Member
so.. i wasnt exactly happy with the finish the first time. so i wet sanded it down and resprayed it. and damn did it turn out good this time around. paint is not a thing to rush!!
dcft1.jpg

ih1aat.jpg

105sc2a.jpg

eb79zp.jpg

2q1uico.jpg

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I thought the panels looked good before, but your redo looks primo! Nice work. The panels really give your engine bay a fresh and muscular new look. Awesome!

Users who are viewing this thread