SCMC on track - new MSR Houston - Dec 3-4

Andy M

Established Member
Folks,

I just wanted to give you all a trip report from last weekend.

As some of you already know, we have a new sports car track here in the Houston area, something we have been waiting for with great anticipation for quite a while now. The new Motorsport Ranch Houston, modeled after the very successful MSR in Cresson TX (outside of Fort Worth) recently opened its doors, and our SCMC event this past weekend was the very first track event held there.

Yours truly was the lead instructor and grid marshal, and I was partnered up with my good friend David (03 Cobra Toy here). The instructors began arriving at the track on Friday afternoon as the track owners/manager had promised us some free track time to begin learning the track layout and lines. We all had a great time on FRiday learning the track a bit before the real event started on Saturday.

The track is 2.4 miles long and has 17 turns. It is a very technical, very tight road course and top speed on the longest straight was about 130 or so.

Although we had a few offtrack excursions during the weekend, I am very happy to report no major incidences occured under my/our watch.

Many thanks to my good friend David and the rest of our SCMC team (my beautiful wife Tammy, Jim and Jackie, Edmond, and the rest of the team) for helping to make this a very successful event.

We had representation from pretty much all makes a models. We had 3 Lotus Elise cars, a couple of AC Shelby Cobra kit cars, on Ferrari Challenge car, on Mini Cooper S, a couple of Vipers, a brand new silver 06 Z06 (WOW!! What a machine!!!), two Lightnings, a Ford SHO Taurus, 2 Porsche GT3 Cup cars, and several other Porsches, 5 2000 R's, 1 95 R, and a slew of other Mustangs, including a representative amount of Cobras.

We ran 5 run groups and everything seemed to flow very well.

All in all, a very fun event, although I was bone tired at the of the day on Sunday, from all the walking back and forth in the paddocks, etc.

Many thanks to Al and Jerry of MSRH and to the wonderful staff there, including the corner workers, who were wonderful to work with.

I hope to see some of you northerners next year, when we hold this same event two weeks ahead of Thanksgiving. So, no excuses from you guys up north about the winter weather. ;-) :poke:

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
cool! :rockon: congrats on the successful and safe event! :beer: wish I was able to be there! maybe next year, depending on work and such....

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Andy:

Congrats! Sounds like you guys had a great event!

When you praise MM suspension to me, you're preaching to the Choir!! :rockon:

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
When you praise MM suspension to me, you're preaching to the Choir!! :rockon:

Bruce,

What do you have on your car?

What type of shocks, spring rate, front sway bar.....

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
David:

I have the Koni double action adjustable front struts from MM. I can't remember the spring rate? It's either a 450# or 475#? I'll check if you'd like?

I also have the KB 3-way adustable front sway bar. Everything was initially set up totally neutral and that is pretty much how I ran the car all year. I never spent enough time (or for that matter had enough time when I was at any particular track) to play with any set ups to see how that car might react. I like how the car handles right now. Believe it or not when I put my slicks on, the car is capable of not oversteering in the turns which is something I'm not used to driving a Mustang! :read:

Last edited:

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
Do you have coil-overs in the rear? if so what spring rate? I just changed my spring rate to 450 Ft and 650 rear.

:beer:

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
03 Cobra Toy said:
Do you have coil-overs in the rear? if so what spring rate? I just changed my spring rate to 450 Ft and 650 rear.

David:

What were you running in the front before? Now that you've switched to the 450's what changes have you noticed? What were you previously running in the rear?

I have the KB IRS with the relocated pivot points and the KB control arms with coil-overs.

KB recommended 550# on the rear and I ran them all year and I didn't think they were too bad? I do want to go to a 650# next season (on the rear) if I get some time to work on the car this Winter?

Last edited:

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
David:

What were you running in the front before? Now that you've switched to the 450's what changes have you noticed? What were you previously running in the rear?

I had 400 ft and 600 rear. The new spring rates have reduced some of the oversteer on my pig. My next step is to loosen the end links on the sway bar or just go with the KB adjustable sway bar.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Andy M said:
...we have a new sports car track here in the Houston area, something we have been waiting for with great anticipation for quite a while now. The new Motorsport Ranch Houston, modeled after the very successful MSR in Cresson TX (outside of Fort Worth) recently opened its doors, and our SCMC event this past weekend was the very first track event held there.

The track is 2.4 miles long and has 17 turns. It is a very technical, very tight road course and top speed on the longest straight was about 130 or so.
Great news, Andy. How far away is the new track from home? How far is MSR from you?

Does the track have a website yet? Is it a full for-profit and one of the country club-type tracks (like ACC)? Technical and tight? That sounds like another Alan Wilson designed track?

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
03 Cobra Toy said:
Thanks!
It is a country club. I wish they would open one in my area. I would join immediately! Thirty weekends of track use per year! :bowdown: Their $7K fee is a little more than what ACC charged until their recent price bump.

I'm jealous.

P/S It sure looks like Alan Wilson!

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Amazing Track!!! and the event went sooooo smooooothly.... or at least it seemed to to me :thumbsup:

I didn't think anything could beat Ice Racing....I WAS WRONG!!!

Now that I've been bumped up a couple run groups and signed off for solo(Thank you Joe Johnson!!!).... I can safely say that this stuff blows my Ice Racing days AWAY!!!

Andy, Dave, Jim, Edmond and everyone did a great job!!!

My smile and neck muscles are finally recovering :thumbsup:

My daughter loved her first track ride!!!

The $100.00 Sumitomos held up GREAT!!! Never lost the brakes!!! No limp mode all weekend!!! No spins!!! No wheels off!!!(with all that dirt track style late apex sliding I'm still surprised) Passed a lot of cars I didn't think possible!!!

Only down side... forget using Motorcraft "Preferred Value" front pads.... :rollseyes ... I know ... I know!!! Hey they were cheap.... and now they are GONE!!!

It's still pretty amazing to me how far High Performance Factory Fords have come... The stuff you can do with a bone stock Terminator just blows my mind!!!

Thanks FORD :bowdown: :beer:

morepitwallaction.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread