SCJ Monoblade users,imput requested...

466scj

Old School Stangbanger
Established Member
hi guys and gals,
Was wondering about anyone's experience with one of the Ford Racing single blade T.B.s..I have a 2.9 Whipple with the dual 65mm Ford Racing T.B.Is it worth the time,expense to upgrade?Always looking for more power.I am in he process of a forged short block.Is tuning an issue as I drive this on the street regularly.I just got some ID750 injectors and was considering this because I have to go back on the dyno.Any opinion is appreciated! thanks!

scotsam

Established Member
Albrightsville, Pennsylvania, United States
I have one on my 2.9 whipple. As for is it better than the twin 65 it probably makes more power but with a slight loss in drivability. That said I don't have any drivability problems but there was a bit of learning curve when I first got it. Basically your opening a barn door so at certain throttle openings the throttle can be a little sensitive. When I first drove it I asked Lund about it and he assured me it was a caracteristic of mono blades, now I don't even notice it.

gr850

Established Member
I had serious drivability issues with it. First tune was a dyno tune by a reputable tuner and when I test drove it (hot) it was pretty good but cold it was just pure junk; wrench lights, surging, idle etc. Did a mail order from VMP and big improvement, still had some surging, idle and such. Finally bought a VMP 67MM twin bore and had them calibrate my existing tune to it; free BTW. WOW. No drivability issues, idle or anything. Sold the mono on ebay at a loss but worth it. Very happy with the VMP product and tune. Even if you don't get a VMP tune the twin bore will be easier for the tuner you do choose.

Bottom line the mono will make good power but unless you are close to a dedicated tuner that can tweak it as needed I'd avoid it. The 67MM makes nearly the same power with way less issues. Good luck.

genesmob

Established Member
BJ from vmp remote tuned mine with gen 2 tvs. Really woke it up with no driveability issues. I would have done it when I bought the blower if not for all the warnings on here.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Run the mono on both cars, the 11 has a 2.9.
You can expect to gain 20 + hp upgrading from the twin 65, my 11 didn't need to be retuned.
Both are mfg. by Accufab, both drive very smoothly.
......................To be fair, there are tuners who can't tune a mono.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
What I've noticed is that people that have problems with it are the ones who get re-tuned for it. I went from the FRPP twin 65mm to the SCJ mono and haven't had a single driveability problem with it. And I did not get re-tuned for it. I've had it on my 2.9 Whipple for probably 3 years now. I say go for it, but DON'T re-tune for it and see how you like it. If I recall, it was said back when it was released that if you're going from the FRPP 65mm twin (and/or the stock 63.5mm?) to the mono, no re-tune is necessary, provided your car is properly tuned for the twin in the first place.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Run the mono on both cars, the 11 has a 2.9.
You can expect to gain 20 + hp upgrading from the twin 65, my 11 didn't need to be retuned.
Both are mfg. by Accufab, both drive very smoothly.
......................To be fair, there are tuners who can't tune a mono.
image.or

Those coil covers are sick.

466scj

Old School Stangbanger
Established Member
i had serious drivability issues with it. First tune was a dyno tune by a reputable tuner and when i test drove it (hot) it was pretty good but cold it was just pure junk; wrench lights, surging, idle etc. Did a mail order from vmp and big improvement, still had some surging, idle and such. Finally bought a vmp 67mm twin bore and had them calibrate my existing tune to it; free btw. Wow. No drivability issues, idle or anything. Sold the mono on ebay at a loss but worth it. Very happy with the vmp product and tune. Even if you don't get a vmp tune the twin bore will be easier for the tuner you do choose.

Bottom line the mono will make good power but unless you are close to a dedicated tuner that can tweak it as needed i'd avoid it. The 67mm makes nearly the same power with way less issues. Good luck.

thanks!

466scj

Old School Stangbanger
Established Member
What I've noticed is that people that have problems with it are the ones who get re-tuned for it. I went from the FRPP twin 65mm to the SCJ mono and haven't had a single driveability problem with it. And I did not get re-tuned for it. I've had it on my 2.9 Whipple for probably 3 years now. I say go for it, but DON'T re-tune for it and see how you like it. If I recall, it was said back when it was released that if you're going from the FRPP 65mm twin (and/or the stock 63.5mm?) to the mono, no re-tune is necessary, provided your car is properly tuned for the twin in the first place.
Thanks for the reply,that is what I will try.I have heard the same but read a lot of bad things about the mono,but I would like to run it.Looks like it will make more power and if 20 more is what it makes,it is worth it to me....

FORDMAN GT500

Established Member
170mm Whipple eliptical is the deal. Love mine . Drive ability is great... but so is my tuner !!

Last edited:

466scj

Old School Stangbanger
Established Member
I have a 2010,GT500s didn't get wideband o2s until 2011,is that correct?Is that why a retune wasn't necessary for the mono?I can't just bolt one on my 2010 with the Lund tune and dual 65mm CJ throttle body,like a 2011+?Anyone know??

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Thanks for the reply,that is what I will try.I have heard the same but read a lot of bad things about the mono,but I would like to run it.Looks like it will make more power and if 20 more is what it makes,it is worth it to me....

I have no doubt that I gained at least 20WHP with switching to the monoblade and not one other change, especially on the top end.

I have a 2010,GT500s didn't get wideband o2s until 2011,is that correct?Is that why a retune wasn't necessary for the mono?I can't just bolt one on my 2010 with the Lund tune and dual 65mm CJ throttle body,like a 2011+?Anyone know??

I think that might be the case. You could still give it a shot without a tune and see how it feels for a while. I wouldn't get to deep into boost with out data logging, though. You don't want it to lean out too much on you.

466scj

Old School Stangbanger
Established Member
I have no doubt that I gained at least 20WHP with switching to the monoblade and not one other change, especially on the top end.

I think that might be the case. You could still give it a shot without a tune and see how it feels for a while. I wouldn't get to deep into boost with out data logging, though. You don't want it to lean out too much on you.

I'm going to give it a try. I have a wideband to log A/F ratios.Thanks for the help!Hope all goes well so I can sell my CJ dual 65mm..i m installing ID750s so a tune will be in order:beer:

Last edited:

VNMOUS1

Established Member
I'm going to give it a try. I have a wideband to log A/F ratios.Thanks for the help!Hope all goes well so I can sell my CJ dual 65mm..i m installing ID750s so a tune will be in order
Throttle body has no bearing on air - fuel.

Users who are viewing this thread