School taxes

cj428mach

Established Member
Even if you don’t have children, you’ll benefit from an educated society.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

But that doesn't happen at public schools. I wish you could get a voucher if you have kids to attend the school of your choice.

I have a 16 year old niece and from what I hear about public schools now days its nightmare (and we're in the heartland of America here not the big citys). A friend of mine sends his kids to private school because he feels the public schools are a joke, I believe he spends $7200 a year per kid. To have to send thousands to the govt for public schools just to turn around and pay for a private school isn't fair. I am also a believer that a voucher program will introduce competition.

cj428mach

Established Member
Imagine being within walking distance to work. Should you pay taxes for the road maintenance? You don't use it. So why?

Because everything you buy at the store, for your home, get shipped to your place, etc. all use roads.

Same goes for kids. You're investing in the countries education level when you pay school taxes. It's not about whether you even have kids or not, it's about the country as a whole. I support a more intelligent American population. Simple enough.

The govt pays for road and bridge repair from fuel taxes, vehicle taxes, etc. So if you use a vehicle you pay more into the repair/maintenance of it.

Stanger00

Established Member
Districts such as mine don't have traditional unions per se, we have associations. I am in a right to work state. I cannot strike. Which means I have no funds to support me via the union. I am okay with that.

Unions pay for lawyers, arbitration lawyers, negotiating teams and donate funds to politicians campaigns. They don't pay the member.

Also, if y'all haven't heard public sector employees can opt out of paying union dues if they want and still get those awful union wages and benefits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Not a fan of the school tax system in PA. It promotes wasteful spending. My grandfather was paying 3000+ a year in school taxes for a .12 acre property (more than double total for school and property), up until he was declared 90% incompetent last year and they were finally waved at the age of 89. Not cool how people on a fixed income, who haven't had kids in 60+ years, get squeezed. Sure he could sell his house and move somewhere cheaper, but guess who won't get a great price for his home because of the taxes here... All so the mediocre district could build a massive new school with an Olympic swimming pool. I looked at buying my grandfathers house recently and the school and property taxes would be as much as the mortgage each month. Makes turning it into a rental almost a break-even venture until the loan is paid off.

If I'm smart I'll build a large garage with a loft that doesn't fit the definition of a dwelling.

Black2010

Established Member
Meanwhile, many of those that do meet the teachers are going there to bitch at them about how dare they treat their little angel that way.

Reminds me of the below. Sad part is it's pretty true. Their are exceptions but those are getting rarer every year.
Explain-Bad-Grades.jpg

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
I have a problem with it when I remember that the public education system is a left wing indoctrination camp. If I'm going to pay for it regardless of my use of it, I don't want your political bullshit being fed to the youth. But that's just it though, it doesn't stop at the youth (k-12). What about state funded post secondary schools? Are you ok with forcing students to take obviously left wing biased curriculum in order to graduate from these state funded institutions?

Politics aside, problems start with the legislators that are making decisions when they haven't been in a classroom in 20+yrs, admin staff that are just climbing the school board ladder, then actual educators. 2400 elementary school teachers in North Carolina just failed the math portion of their recertification exam. I'm sure some of you (or your wives) are teachers so I'm not saying all teachers are terrible, but great teachers are few and far between.

Luckily, the state I'm in has a prepaid college program and a great scholarship program funded by the lottery, but its public primary and secondary schools' test scores aren't exactly at the top of the list.

P.s. Taxation is theft. End the FED. Shut down the Dept of Edu
Screenshot_20180814-075108_DuckDuckGo.jpeg

...and Maximus said to Commodus, "the time for honoring yourself will soon come to an end."

Last edited:

VegasMichael

Established Member
I have a problem with it when I remember that the public education system is a left wing indoctrination camp. If I'm going to pay for it regardless of my use of it, I don't want your political bullshit being fed to the youth. But that's just it though, it doesn't stop at the youth (k-12). What about state funded post secondary schools? Are you ok with forcing students to take obviously left wing biased curriculum in order to graduate from these state funded institutions?

Problems start with the legislators that are making decisions when they haven't been in a classroom in 20+yrs, admin staff that are just climbing the school board ladder, then actual educators. 2400 elementary school teachers in North Carolina just failed the math portion of their recertification exam. I'm sure some of you (or your wives) are teachers so I'm not saying all teachers are terrible, but great teachers are few and far between.

A few reasons for that. Mostly it is because there is such a demand for teachers that districts just need a body in the room so they will take almost anyone. Many are either long term substitutes or are currently in a program to get licensed while still being allowed to teach. Districts have also given the keys to the kingdom to parents and students and refuse to say no to any demand made by them no matter how ridiculous. Class sizes have become much larger in many places as well due to the lack of teachers. Lack of teachers often equates to larger class sizes which frequently makes the job nothing more than crisis management. Also, the number of college students enrolling in education has dropped nearly a third over the past 10 years. My district just hired over 100 teachers from The Philippines. Yep. We had to recruit 10,000 miles away.

The teacher supply is plummeting. Pa. will spend $2M to stem the tide

Severe teacher shortage looms for New York State

Luckily, the state I'm in has a prepaid college program and a great scholarship program funded by the lottery, but its public primary and secondary schools' test scores aren't exactly at the top of the list.

P.s. Taxation is theft. End the FED. Shut down the Dept of Edu
View attachment 1508730

...and Maximus said to Commodus, "the time for honoring yourself will soon come to an end."

Last edited:

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
" teacher shortage"

So what solves the problem? Turn over rate of young people in the profession is pretty high (hell, I am one of them).

What about this....give an option to professionals right as they retire/leave the workforce: go teach kids and you can have any pension you've earned yourself completely tax free. If you did not earn a pension but worked for xy amount of time in a teachable subject area, you'll earn a teacher's salary completely tax free. Increase the depth of the teacher talent pool with subject area professionals full of life skills.

Last edited:

Stanger00

Established Member
What about this....give an option to professionals right as they retire/leave the workforce: go teach kids and you can have any pension you've earned yourself completely tax free. If you did not earn a pension but worked for xy amount of time in a teachable subject area, you'll earn a teacher's salary completely tax free. Increase the depth of the teacher talent pool with subject area professionals full of life skills.

Where will community colleges and for-profit private universities get their pool of teachers from then?

Also back to taxes; you are guaranteed death and taxes.

Kids deserve a good education and teachers deserve a living wage. Now, to somehow to get corporations to use those billions of profit per quarter to pay the labor force more per hour....

VegasMichael

Established Member
So what solves the problem? Turn over rate of young people in the profession is pretty high (hell, I am one of them).

Some states, mine included, are calling teachers out of retirement and allowing them to draw their pension AND collect full salary. Double dipping. Most decline to come back, however. My district is already more than 500 teachers short for this school year already in progress. Bottom line is this: very few want to be in the profession anymore. Paying off student loans while making a teacher salary is never enjoyable. There is so much negativity toward schools and the education profession that people are avoiding it. Even those in the profession, like myself, frequently talk others out of embarking in the field. Sad state of affairs in many places.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

You are from Florida but what is shocking is the demographics involved here. Green Bay only has a population of 105,000 people and 3.5% of residents are black and 13% Hispanic. Granted they retired nearly 20 years ago but I have an aunt and uncle who taught in the Green Bay school district and I guess the Asians and Hispanics really did not like each other, I'm sure things have gotten much worse since then.

Even scarier, Milwaukee is FAR FAR worse with a population of 600,000 and 40+% of the city residents are black with another 17+% being Hispanic.

There is no other solution besides immediate and severe consequences for these teenagers misbehaving in school.

Stanger00

Established Member
Some states, mine included, are calling teachers out of retirement and allowing them to draw their pension AND collect full salary. Double dipping. Most decline to come back, however. My district is already more than 500 teachers short for this school year already in progress. Bottom line is this: very few want to be in the profession anymore. Paying off student loans while making a teacher salary is never enjoyable. There is so much negativity toward schools and the education profession that people are avoiding it. Even those in the profession, like myself, frequently talk others out of embarking in the field. Sad state of affairs in many places.

Kind of surprising to hear given the exodus that's going in CA. My cousin is certified teacher who taught in a great district in The Bay Area and ended up walking away after 3 years and moved to Oregon. He started as a sub there and got a full time job for remainder of school year last year and after applying and interviewing, the district gave the job to another person. Presumably, an actual Oregon native was given the job.

Appears to be different for your local economy.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
Where will community colleges and for-profit private universities get their pool of teachers from then?

Same place. I think that the incentive I mentioned would bring more people in to the shallow pool rather than spreading the scarce supply even thinner. Those jobs already exist and you can go that route just as they do now, paying taxes with whatever benes those institutions offer. Just trying to coax some folks that wouldn't have thought about it before in to the far less glamorous (and I use that word sarcastically but it works comparatively) primary+secondary public educator openings that also already exist. Put some of the people in that community in to the schools, let them keep their whole pension/retirement from whatever they had before or (not both) teacher salary tax free. Dangling a little fruit for the people making career moves after 10/15/etc years in the workforce
The problem with getting the retired teachers back is they're already jaded, "you couldn't pay me enough to come back jack." Plus, like you said, the ones that do come back are double dipping their chip, taking more away from the very limited pot of $ that they have to pay teachers in the first place (I understand the $ doesn't come out of the same account in the type of situations, but it's still double pay.) Offer those that come back inventives to put their pension on hold with better interest rates or basing it off of a higher salary upon their second retirement.
seinfeld-double-dip.gif

Offering to pay student loans just increases the number of young "I am not 100% sure what to do with my life" college kids becoming teachers. They can get thrown in to some tough environments that turn them off to teaching, tough it out as long as they have that debt and then they're gone.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread