School me on lawnmowers

CV355

_
Established Member
We have a JD LA150 with about 400hrs on it, 54" deck, several attachments. I gave it a tune-up this week and it is running decently, but it still needs a lot of work to make it through another season. The deck bearings are screaming loud right now- so bad I need ear-pro (non-serviceable, need to be fully replaced). The hydrostatic trans struggles in reverse, but forward seems ok. The cost to fix this thing will be a chunk.

We have 3 acres of lawn; 2 are low-grade and mostly flat while 1 is hilly/bumpy leading down to a pond. If I bite the bullet and get another mower, I'm definitely going lower-end commercial grade vs residential. I'm looking for a tank, since the lower yard area gets a bit unruly.

I'm unsure of ZTRs vs Tractors, gas vs diesel, etc. Your advice?

Malern28us

Established Member
Premium Member
We have a JD LA150 with about 400hrs on it, 54" deck, several attachments. I gave it a tune-up this week and it is running decently, but it still needs a lot of work to make it through another season. The deck bearings are screaming loud right now- so bad I need ear-pro (non-serviceable, need to be fully replaced). The hydrostatic trans struggles in reverse, but forward seems ok. The cost to fix this thing will be a chunk.

We have 3 acres of lawn; 2 are low-grade and mostly flat while 1 is hilly/bumpy leading down to a pond. If I bite the bullet and get another mower, I'm definitely going lower-end commercial grade vs residential. I'm looking for a tank, since the lower yard area gets a bit unruly.

I'm unsure of ZTRs vs Tractors, gas vs diesel, etc. Your advice?
Definitely need to know budget and what you want it to be capable of. I spent $9k on my last mower but I bought a commercial grade. I wasnt anywhere close to top of the line.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
The 700 series JD's are pretty bullet proof and there are a lot of used ones out there. I have one with over 600 hours mowing 1.25 acre. I figure I will trade it when I hit 1,000 hours.

CV355

_
Established Member
Budget is a tricky question. $5-7k if it's a 10+yr mower with proper maintenance. Right now I'm leaning towards the Kubota 400 series ZTR. If it lasts twice as long as a mower that's half the cost, it's worth it. Either high end residential or low end commercial.

What's your budget and how mechanically inclined are you?

I'm very mechanically inclined, but struggle with OCD (legit, @Revvv can back me up on it) so I usually need someone there to kick me in the ass while working. Basic maintenance is no problem, but anything extensive and I wind up with "engineer's analysis paralysis."

They cut grass

After yesterday, mine catches it on fire instead of cuts it. Hence the thread ;)

Malern28us

Established Member
Premium Member
My neighbor has a diesel Kubota. I know its at least 10 years old and she mows about 3 acres with it. Her lawn looks absolutely perfect when she is done. I just know it gets dropped off at the dealer every spring for maintenance. Her husband used to do lawn care and construction work, if that helps.

CV355

_
Established Member
But how efficiently?
I went from taking 2 hours to mow my lawn to 45 minutes to finish everything. It actually doesnt hurt my back when I am done mowing now.

That's another aspect of it. A ZTR would save me 20-30 minutes easily, especially if it is rear discharge or mulching. I have to plan the passes so I don't blow clippings into all of the flower and mulch beds, so I wind up zipping around 2-3x dead passes.

The seat springs on the LA150 are broken (perch too, otherwise I'd kludge something up), so the ride trashes my spine. Ever been hit directly in the top of the head with a basketball? Certain bumps in the yard feel like that.

My neighbor has a diesel Kubota. I know its at least 10 years old and she mows about 3 acres with it. Her lawn looks absolutely perfect when she is done. I just know it gets dropped off at the dealer every spring for maintenance. Her husband used to do lawn care and construction work, if that helps.

Same! My neighbor has the BX diesel. That's a bit out of my price range though.

Malern28us

Established Member
Premium Member
I bought a Simplicity commercial just for the suspension and seat. Everything is just so expensive when you get to the commercial ones. I skipped on the bagging attachments as it was an additional $1200.

Malern28us

Established Member
Premium Member
5901492_smi_cobalt_28-61_lf_2048px.jpg

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Budget is a tricky question. $5-7k if it's a 10+yr mower with proper maintenance. Right now I'm leaning towards the Kubota 400 series ZTR. If it lasts twice as long as a mower that's half the cost, it's worth it. Either high end residential or low end commercial.

I'm very mechanically inclined, but struggle with OCD (legit, @Revvv can back me up on it) so I usually need someone there to kick me in the ass while working. Basic maintenance is no problem, but anything extensive and I wind up with "engineer's analysis paralysis."

After yesterday, mine catches it on fire instead of cuts it. Hence the thread ;)
He's telling the truth. Haha

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
You can't really go wrong with any of the major brands. Get the biggest and best model that fits your budget. Size matters as a smaller deck usually leaves a prettier cut. My 48" leaves a prettier cut than my 72" but of course I cover way more ground with the 72" The bigger the deck especially on rough ground the more it dips and scalps on the edges.
A good 48 will still be faster than the old 54" garden tractor style.
Side discharge looks better than rear IMO as the rear discharge never lays the grass out right if you let it get a little taller. (This also depends on the type of grass) You will find a pattern that works without blowing in the beds.

My Exmark is up over 1600 hours with no major repairs.
Hustler, Exmark, Scag, and even Kubota.
Don't rule out BadBoy either. For a non business and just a homeowner they are good machines and the prices are pretty good.

buffalosoldier

Established Member
My snapper LT16 is 33 years old, I hope I get a few more out of the old girl, I got two used golf cart tires for $10 last summer and I need a new belt. I mow about a half acre.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
My 52" Bobcat ProCat Commercial mower...

I would have gone with a bigger deck but live on 40 wooded acres so I needed something that would be easier to cut around trees.

Don't buy from a big box store. Find a local dealer selling any of the name brand mowers that Stampede mentioned above.

Visit Lawn Mowing Equipment and do some research.
5D6623F2-A8A4-445C-82A1-F5440DC421C0.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread