school me on CTS-v's

Slobanator

Established Member
My manager has a 2004 Cadillac CTS-V hell sell me for a good deal.

It's black on black, only driven on sunny days and only has 32k in miles.

He's going to sell to me for $16,500.

He said The only thing bad is that there is swirl marks from cleaning and a crack in the driver door speaker guard.

Skidmarcx

Established Member
What do you want to know? I currently drive one I'm trying sell... That's a good price, but there are considerations to be made with an 04... Mainly the rear end

Last edited:

itSSlow98

Established Member
That's a pretty good price. I sold mine after 3 years of ownership. Ls1tech has a section dedicated to them with all the info you wanna know.

Slobanator

Established Member
How are they as far as reliability??

And has anyone driven one in the snow??

Ill be daily driving it when I'm not in the cobra. And my 01 silverado was involved in a hit and run and its basically totaled. I drove my truck mostly in RWD, with the exception of some red light on hills.

NJStang86

02 GT
Established Member
Be prepared to replace axles .. Friend had one for awhile and had to replace 3 axles in a matter of 2 years I think. Luckily the dealership covered it under warranty.

Skidmarcx

Established Member
Pros: DVD player with 5.1 surround, handles well, looks good, simple mods make it fun to drive

Cons: gutless pile of crap in stock form, pile of crap driveshaft and rear end

I think it's pretty reliable... Engines and trannies are stout, has a few bugs to fix like any car

Satyr

Established Member
My GTO was horrid in the snow, so I would guess the CTS-V isn't going to be great (though, probably better).

Skidmarcx

Established Member
I think so... Others may not... Only reason I'm selling mine is its about as far as I want to take it... And I'm ready for a new project

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
I loved mine. It's the only car I regret getting rid of.

The rear sucks if you're trying to drag race or do burn outs. For normal use and roll races it's not bad at all.

Slobanator

Established Member
As far as driving it in the snow i was choosing between an 03/04 lightning and the ctsv.

I figured the CTS would be better due to traction control and weigh.

I probably wouldn't be drag racing or doing any burnouts.. Probably be doing roll races at the most.

ff500

Established Member
I had an sts-v, it was a great car but impractical for the 1000 mile round trips between Ma and Va, maintenance costs are double that of a regular cadillac.

Skidmarcx

Established Member
Once you secure the rear subframe it isn't terrible out of the hole... And with the Ford conversion you're insuring it for higher horsepower... I cut 1.7 60 foots which I'm happy with

6.0GTO

Established Member
Most of the driveline problems can be fixed with products from Gforce 1320 and The Driveshaft shop.

itSSlow98

Established Member
I never had any axle or rear issues in mine over 3 hard years and about 35k miles. It did wheel hop like a mofo though.

Other then that I don't ever recall having any trouble. Brakes are slightly higher since its 4 piston brembos all around but that's about it.

I've also heard with snow tires they do suprisingly well.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I know little about Alaska winters, but I'd be concerned about daily driving a car like that up there. If your manager has been daily driving it, then I guess there is no reason why you can't either. Nice price, for sure. I think a good detailer should be able to get rid of the swirl marks in the paint.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
As long as you do not spin cookies and try to do burn outs the rear and axles are fine. Make sure you look at the car fax, odds are if it is an 04 they have replaced the rear already. You will love how the LS6 pulls on the top end it is a fun car to drive and I liken it to driving a recliner on wheels, comfy and fast.

I live in Wyoming we do not have near the winters you do but we get a lot of snow and Ice. I run Nitto SN2 studless snow tires on mine in the winter and drive it year round. They are good on the ICE and snow just do not try to get on it and you will be fine. I get around in the snow and ice as well as I did in my AWD mitsubishi ralliart.

It wasn't much snow but I was going 75 on it with no problems.

CTS_zps669e95d6.jpg

It is a good price for a good car. I would'nt hesitate to buy another.

Last edited:

JD03Cobra

Who's your Daddy!
Established Member
I daily drive a 06 CTS V year round including the snow. With snow tires it does great. Put 100k miles on mine and not one serious issue. Stock axles and rear end is just fine with tons of spirited driving. The V was intended for the twisties, not the 1/4 drag strip. I've got kooks headers with no cats, been a great car!

The 04-05 V's had the weaker rear ends, the 06-07 were updated.

P3223195.jpg

Never_Enough

Established Member
Great price for a low mile one. The $16k ones are usually high miles. If you don't buy it, I might so PM me

Users who are viewing this thread