School me on centrifugal blower hp ratings with built motors.

xXSVTmonsterXx

SVTP Monster
Established Member
I'm curious... if a blower is rated at "x" hp and "x" lbs of boost what happens on an engine that makes that same hp BEFORE the blower?

Also what happens on a high compression engine that would make yhe max hp rating on only a few pounds of boost?

Background: I have a 360+ ci modular 4v with gt heads, huge cams (for my size engine) custom intake, etc. I'm also 12:1 compression. Will I have to runa top tier blower? Ysi, f1, etc or will a smaller blower suffice. My rotating assembly is good till 1500 wheel and I want under 1000 wheel on the street....

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

SVTPete83

Established Member
The smaller blowers will not make as much boost as your motor will move more air then they can provide. I would say you need at minimum a ysi or f1 and its gonna have to spin pretty hard to make 1k hp

SVTPete83

Established Member
If his motor makes 500 rwhp on motor he will need 14 psi to get 1000.

He will prob need at least 1350 cfmbfrom his head unit to fill those cubes and big cams. I would think ysi at minimum.

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
when you said "spun pretty hard" i thought we were talking 25+ PSI (which is nothing for those blowers)
that motor with an f1a or ysi will be nasty!

vadorsnake04

Established Member
I guess i don't understand this question, why would you run a smaller blower with a built motor like that?? you are just limiting the capability of it by doing that which would kind of defeat the purpose of building the motor.

1QUICK10TH

Just A GT
Established Member
I guess i don't understand this question, why would you run a smaller blower with a built motor like that?? you are just limiting the capability of it by doing that which would kind of defeat the purpose of building the motor.

I'm thinking the same thing.... What would be the point of a say a d1 on a monster motor? Anything less than a Ysi/f1a/f1c is going to run out of breath up top.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Just remember that boost/psi is just a measure of back pressure on the intake valve.. Your motor is going to use a lot of air, so lets say you buy a YSI.. Someone with a standard 281ci motor will have to pulley it for 22psi we'll say. That same pulley combo will make like 12psi on your motor if that makes sense.. The main thing that you need to look at is RPM ratings of the blower in this case.. :)

vadorsnake04

Established Member
Just remember that boost/psi is just a measure of back pressure on the intake valve.. Your motor is going to use a lot of air, so lets say you buy a YSI.. Someone with a standard 281ci motor will have to pulley it for 22psi we'll say. That same pulley combo will make like 12psi on your motor if that makes sense.. The main thing that you need to look at is RPM ratings of the blower in this case.. :)

this is always a good reminder for everyone.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
With a motor of that size and build and compression I'm assuming you are going to be running E85.. I would look into nothing smaller than a YSI or F1A/C. The other blowers you are going to have to spin the shit out of.

xXSVTmonsterXx

SVTP Monster
Established Member
E85 is all this engine will see. Will a novi 2k be too small?

If so any ideas where I can find a ysi or f1 for a good price?

dwtjr3

Established Member
Nice build op have any videos of the car with the big cams?

And I agree with the other guys YSI is the smallest I would go. otherwise I think you wasted your money on the motor.

xXSVTmonsterXx

SVTP Monster
Established Member
Nice build op have any videos of the car with the big cams?

And I agree with the other guys YSI is the smallest I would go. otherwise I think you wasted your money on the motor.

Car will be dynoed this week in n/a trim. I built it with the intention of having a wicked n/a car... but assuming I make under 600rwhp n/a that excitement may be short lived. Ill post up some videos when the cars finished.

vadorsnake04

Established Member
Indeed. I quoted the wrong post. Hah sorry vader!

its ok. I was going to say though, that for your application i really don't think that anything paxton including the 2500 wouldnt really cut it, maybe, but i would still think you would be better off with a F-series blower or a YSI. That's my .02 on that blower.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread