School me on C6 hydraulic clutches

Cobra-21

I feel the need...
Established Member
So a buddy of mine has a stock base C6 and we wanted to drive each other's cars. So we drove from Gainesville to the Silver Springs Ford and Mustang roundup show in Ocala on Sunday.

His all stock tranny shifts like butter, but his clutch felt really weird, it only takes a little bit of pedal travel to operate, very tricky to feather it. But the effort is very light.

My stock clutch is super stiff and the shifter is extremely notchy to get into gear. I think the C6 has almost the same tranny we have, the Tremec T-56, but they feel totally different.

Anybody else done this back to back and can talk about how different they feel?

PS my mods are in my sig, and I've tried multiple different tranny fluids and also have the "anti-venom" mod, but nothing seems to help this tranny.

testorossa1989

Established Member

testorossa1989

Established Member
The OP was talking about his stock clutch, which is what I was referencing.

And in regards to that, hydraulic have their ups and downs. Its more or less what you were brought up in. I prefer cable over hydraulic. Their are solutions out there

ctgreddy

Established Member
What year c6? some have the 6060 which is a lot better than a t56 imo. I've driven lots of these cars around the shop but never on a long trip. the clutches feel 100 times smoother/easier, all because of the hydraulic setup.

As far as the smoothness goes, if it was a c6 with the t56, it probably feels a bit different since there's a lot of linkage connecting the shifter to the trans, which is in the rear of the car.

Cobra-21

I feel the need...
Established Member
What year c6?
To describe the action of his shifter, it just goes into every gear with no drama, no "hitting a wall", no having to push into gear, it just glides into gear with the lightest push. Not talking about the clutch action here but the gear shifter itself.

TRBO VNM

It's because of the linkage. That absorbs some of the notchy feel. Just like comparing the stock IRS to an IRS with stiffer bushings from FTBR. The stiffer bushings do not absorb as much road noise/feel, so get more feedback from the road. With the shifter mounted directly to the trans you are getting the feedback.

Even vette guys do the anti-venom mod

Clutch, yeah, it's just because it is hydraulic. The twin disc does help and will feel much lighter. Hydraulic clutches still are lighter than that, but it would be the closest light pedal effort you would get without converting to hydraulic.

Cobra-21

I feel the need...
Established Member
It's because of the linkage. That absorbs some of the notchy feel....The stiffer bushings do not absorb as much road noise/feel, so get more feedback from the road. With the shifter mounted directly to the trans you are getting the feedback.

Clutch, yeah, it's just because it is hydraulic. The twin disc does help and will feel much lighter. Hydraulic clutches still are lighter than that, but it would be the closest light pedal effort you would get without converting to hydraulic.
So I know that the current generation (05-14) mustangs have much longer shift linkage. Do the current cars have a smooth engagement, less notchy? I'm considering whether to get a Shelby, Boss, or Vette.

Regarding the pedal effort. that doesn't bother me so much, I'm used to it (Every day is leg day !). His just felt really hard to slip it and get smooth engagement with the shorter travel, even though it took less strength.

Users who are viewing this thread