Saw a Turbo Diesel 3/4 ton Tundra test mule yesterday

homer302

Banned
Before anyone asks: No, I am not under the care of a physician and I do not take any prescription medication nor do I drink and drive but I swear I was coming up I77 in the Turnpike area where it is very mountainous yesterday and I saw a silver king cab Tundra turbo diesel, the newest bodystyle there is. I assume they were doing testing at interstate speeds in very steep mountains. I didn't realize they were going to make one. Toyota doesn't mention it on the website but I did some searching and I was right:

Toyota Tundra Diesel CONFIRMED - Motor Trend The General Forum Forum

I think I must've seen a factory test mule in testing, the article says they are not using cummins but I am pretty certain the badges said Cummins so IDK?
I first noticed the turbo noise which obviously stood out and then noticed the coffee can sized exhaust on it. It was a 2 wheel drive but sat much higher than a standard Tundra. It had Monster sized rims on it that looked factory,
maybe 24's? :dw:

The turbo/exhaust noise was a bit ehh aggresive for an EPA compliant OEM system which is another reason I think it was a test vehicle. Although it sounded sweet I doubt it would pass.

This is probably way old news from two years ago but it was the first I have heard of it.
:rolling:

Last edited:

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
So does this mean Toyota may finally be able to pull the trailers for their race cars? I always enjoyed seeing the Toyota race team trailers being pulled by American trucks because it was too much for the Toyota to handle. :lol1:

I've never been a fan of the Toyota trucks, but it doesnt suprise me that they are making a diesel powered one.

rickm8

Banned
Maybe it sounded so loud because you were running up steep hills? The 24's probably were for masking the fact that it will be a production car.

homer302

Banned
Well it was going down the road so i couldnt see the actual wheel design but it didn't look like bling if that makes sense. They weren't chrome but just standard aluminum finish. :shrug:

rickm8

Banned
Well it was going down the road so i couldnt see the actual wheel design but it didn't look like bling if that makes sense. They weren't chrome but just standard aluminum finish. :shrug:

Hm, idk, just venturing guesses here about the reasoning :beer:

You should have snapped cell phone shots!

"Pics or it isn't true!"

homer302

Banned
Hm, idk, just venturing guesses here about the reasoning :beer:

You should have snapped cell phone shots!

"Pics or it isn't true!"
:beer: NP
yep. was waiting for that. LOL Pics or GTFO......

My cell is provided by my work and is a Blackberry 8300 from 2006 so no camera but it is free.......

BigSweezey

<insert witty title here>
Established Member
As far as looks go...the dually concept they had out looked sick.
intro.jpg

As for the test mule you saw, I highly doubt they would stick a Cummings badge on it even if it was a Cummings engine.

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
hmmm Interesting to see for sure! Part of me feels like they need to iron out the current truck probs before getting into the Diesel Business! lol

homer302

Banned
I wasn't meaning I was interested in getting one, just that i didn't even know they were going to start making them. Even though a LOT of parts on Ford's are made overseas it is still better to buy American whenever you can. if I was in the market for one of these, I would buy a Ford too.

homer302

Banned
As for the test mule you saw, I highly doubt they would stick a Cummings badge on it even if it was a Cummings engine.

Anything's possible but Dodge doesnt mind putting them on? The honda passport was an Izuzu, the Pontiac Vibe is a Toyota, half the Geos were Toyotas, the Mazda B2000 is clearly a Ford Ranger(or vice versa but same deal either way)......it wouldn't really be a new thing? :shrug:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
maybe the(potentially) cummins badges were there to throw some people off, considering the cummins I6 is, without a doubt, the most swapped light duty diesel engine. it's the damn small block chevy of diesels.

either way, i wouldn't put much to this. considering that the big 3 have halted their 1/2 ton diesel plans because of the drop in diesel sales, i'm sure toyota just has a team developing a diesel 3/4-1 ton without a scheduled release date. i don't have any doubt that they'll release one after some period of time though.

sixt5

Established Member
who mostly buys diesels? farmers and working people. how many farmers are going to buy diesels? HAHA good luck toyota. i HIGHLY doubt they will get close to the sales of a chevy/ford/dodge

R1der

SVT Vet
Established Member
Well my 2000 tundra has 240,000 miles on it and i haven't had any problems yet so if the new is as good as mine ill be getting one

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
They haven't figured out how to build a proper 1/2 ton yet. Perhaps they should try to get that right first.
no doubt! that floppy rear frame section(or "strong where it needs to be", as the commercial says:dw:) would be a horrible idea for a 3/4-1 ton, let alone a 1/2 ton.
Well my 2000 tundra has 240,000 miles on it and i haven't had any problems yet so if the new is as good as mine ill be getting one
your frame hasn't rusted through yet? sounds like your one of the lucky ones.

R1der

SVT Vet
Established Member
your frame hasn't rusted through yet? sounds like your one of the lucky ones.[/QUOTE]

lol no but i did treat my frame thru Linex and i havent had any probs yet and it went thru 3 years in fairbanks, alaska, personly that was the only thing i had to worry about unlike my old F150 that thing was a piece of shit...
tundra is my only foreign vehicle and it is the best one i use to be hard headed but now ill just buy what is good for my family.....but ill always have a Cobra cause nothing can touch the feeling of driving that.

ziggyspeez

YSSUP MOW!
Established Member
I've had the 5.7 Tundra ext. cab for a little over a year. I've put 32,000 miles and had no problems. That's 32000 hard miles. I'm not easy on vehicles. My dad's '07 has 85000 miles, no problems. It pulls my boat w/ no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread