Santa is coming to town with a pallet ... Track car build part 2 -

Stop&turnFreak

Established Member
***Scroll to the bottom for latest updates....

After two seasons of enjoying the Evo, i have decided to get more serious about the setup. Right now, the car is 380whp, and weights around 2900lbs, and has allt he right goodies to stop and turn. The car was a SCCA car for two years, but I haven't competed with the car, I just use it as a dedicated track toy ...

11228523_10153254317319694_5138116626008895332_o_zpsguqn3ksg.jpg

So I dropped the car off - added new 18in rims

IMG_0223_zpswtceynuh.jpg

Here is the old motor setup -

IMG_0225_zpsb3fxxngq.jpg

Motor torn down - getting ready for the built 2.3RR

IMG_0503_zpsqta7s8ns.jpg

New Parts - lightweight components for frame, motor mounts, built diff, and Garret GTX Turbo setup ...

IMG_0504_zpsiumkcssg.jpg

The final setup will be with the car down to around 2400lbs, and the motor turbo setup will support up to 700whp. However, for track days, i am only tuning for 500whp/500Tq. With the new turbo setup, this shouldn't be a big deal, and the GTX claims good spool response even in the low 4k range. I will send updated pics when I get them, but I figured I would share my Christmas package.

In the meantime, i am tracking this .... which is super fast, and alot differnt from my Evo RS.

IMG_0475_zpsxqjviock.jpg

Last edited:

Stop&turnFreak

Established Member
why a stroker? torque yes but long life no.

I wanted something that would spool faster, with the larger turbo setup. Also, the motor is a 2.3RR which is way overbuilt, and will support up to 900whp, but I went with a smaller GTX series which is my limiting factor of 700whp. I overbuilt the motor, so I am hoping that only turning 500whp on track days will be fairly reliable.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
why a stroker? torque yes but long life no.

exactly.

I wanted something that would spool faster, with the larger turbo setup. Also, the motor is a 2.3RR which is way overbuilt, and will support up to 900whp, but I went with a smaller GTX series which is my limiting factor of 700whp. I overbuilt the motor, so I am hoping that only turning 500whp on track days will be fairly reliable.

which GTX? I had a 3071r on a built 2.0 and it was a sweet turbo. Only good for 550 wheel or so though, so if you are shooting for 700+ you must be talking 3582 or something else.... something Forced Performance cooked up?

Sweet build. Always loved the evo 8-9 and especially love the RS.

gabe1530

Banned
cool build. ive always liked evo's. how do you get the weight down that low besides stripping the interior (i dont know anything about them :) )?

Stop&turnFreak

Established Member
exactly.

which GTX? I had a 3071r on a built 2.0 and it was a sweet turbo. Only good for 550 wheel or so though, so if you are shooting for 700+ you must be talking 3582 or something else.... something Forced Performance cooked up?

Sweet build. Always loved the evo 8-9 and especially love the RS.

I looked at the 3582, but was assured the 3076R would come close to the 700 number on race gas maxed out. To be honest, I could care less about max number, I chose the 3076R because the guys at Buschur tell me it should be at full spool about the same as a FP series I had before. Also, bear in ind the RR build will spin up to 9500rpm if I need, so it has a high upper limit. However, if it falls a bit short of 700 with the 2.3RR build, I won't be too upset, my goal is good spool, and a solid 500whp for track days without the motor or turbo struggling.

cool build. ive always liked evo's. how do you get the weight down that low besides stripping the interior (i dont know anything about them :) )?
I have gutted the car inside, and have also replaced alot of the support compnents with lightweight components from AMS or Buschur. Right now the car is about 2800/2900 depending on rims I run, and after switching the remaining interior parts, body parts, and some other components, we are hoping to shed around 200-400lbs. However, that includes removing all the glass from the back and going with lighweight plexi. Again, if it ends up at 2400 or 2500, that's fine, it will be going back up as I am adding a cage, and aero soon.

Rct851

Established Member
Seriously time to sell the 5.0 daily driver bullshit and make a car that can be tracked. Good stuff dude

Stop&turnFreak

Established Member
Track Toy Updates - Part 3.

Update - 1/7/2016

Well, the car is taking a bit longer, but I've added more to the mix ...

I have gotten the new turbo in, and it's ready for mounting, provided the 2.3RR was back, which it's not. It is on the engine stand, being assembled, but I don't want to rush the team.

IMG_0673.JPG IMG_0674.JPG

I have also added a new swaybar since I am moving to slicks, and additional lightweight pieces for the front and back, replacing more stock parts. Weight will definitely be down to less than 2400, 2600 with me in the car.

IMG_0651.JPG

Last, we decided to go ahead and redo the head, and have some work done to the valves to hold the higher RPM band the motor will have.

IMG_0676.JPG

To reduce drag, I added these carbon window pieces, which I haven't seen many guys use over here, but in Europe they are the standard.

IMG_0675.JPG

The last mods, not pictured, are new Kedford (sp?) cams, and having the diffs, t-case, and tranmission redone for road racing. The car should be a beast when done, with nearly 600whp, and weighting less than 2700 with driver. I hope it's as quick as touted, because I am ordering the tag, GTR-LOL for the back :) ... I will keep you all posted as it moves forward.

Last edited:

chao5.0

Established Member
who is handling the build? my younger brother has a place called Kozmic here in Houston do his stg whatever and supposedly they are the best with the X MR platform, but I find the tune and trans shifting to be off compared to how I would like it.

Users who are viewing this thread