Sanity check for Service quote from Ford...

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yea local ford place near me is nearing $200 a hour.

Benz is over $400 per hour. Still paying techs 25 a hour

I don't buy that last part. Ours are right on the bell curve and they make $32-44/hour.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
Jesus Christ! LOL, That's not a bust on you Nick. Just labor shock LOL. I'm familiar with it since I built my 65 Mustang myself. I couldn't afford to have someone else do it for me at those labor rates.

This is another reason I don't go to dealerships anymore. Last time I have been to a dealership was back in 2016. Just too expensive if it's not covered under warranty.

@*Jay* If the repair is not covered under warranty I would not pay $1,600 to install a $35 part. If you have the time, patience, skill and desire I say do it yourself.

My local NORMAL diesel shop here is $215 an hour

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks for the input everyone, those that said Corporate would say kick rocks were correct. They wont cover any of the water intrusion repair or related damage. The dealer however said they would cover half so thats what I am gonna go with. Shop rates are a helluva lot higher than I expected, takes some of the sting away knowing that.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Thanks for the input everyone, those that said Corporate would say kick rocks were correct. They wont cover any of the water intrusion repair or related damage. The dealer however said they would cover half so thats what I am gonna go with. Shop rates are a helluva lot higher than I expected, takes some of the sting away knowing that.

Is there damage to the interior?

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
Is there damage to the interior?
None that I could find when I was getting under the carpet aside from some rusty hardware, just the water I drained and moisture that I removed. All of the submerged wiring that runs in that channel appeared to be completely sealed with no connections that I could find. There was no residual mildew/mold that I could find after a few weeks and I wasnt told of any further damage by the dealer.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
None that I could find when I was getting under the carpet aside from some rusty hardware, just the water I drained and moisture that I removed. All of the submerged wiring that runs in that channel appeared to be completely sealed with no connections that I could find. There was no residual mildew/mold that I could find after a few weeks and I wasnt told of any further damage by the dealer.

Good. If there was, I would've suggested making an insurance claim.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
I don't buy that last part. Ours are right on the bell curve and they make $32-44/hour.
My local ford store is 25-30 an hr for techs and 109hr for gas and 129hr for diesel...service writters 400 a week lol

When i was writer there 10 years ago was 20- 25 hr, 79hr gas 99hr diesel...not sure what writers get now

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
The Ford ESP won't cover it, period.

So let's assume it's $1,600 to repair it.

My hourly door rate is $153.93. So a $35 part (using your number, I didn't look it up), and 10 hours of labor. Probably isn't too terribly far off.

That's a lower rate than the shop I came from who had just upped their rates to $178/hr and upped it again to $183. Dealers, specifically a Volvo dealer not far away is charging $199/hr and I think some dealers are over $200 now.

Most jobs are expensive now and $1000 repair is on the low end. Water leaks are indeed tricky and I usually oversold them to prepare the customer so I could come back way less if it went better than expected.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Damn what is the typical rate at a reputable independent shop these days?

Russo

Unofficial Glass Tech
Established Member
my friends performance shop is $150/hour, my glass shop is $65-$125 depending on in shop, mobile, USL&H, etc.. we don't charge enough labor, but insurance keeps you bound to around $35/hour..

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member

Around here it's $165 but going up, and some insurance companies are still trying to pass off $129 as the average. Its BS though cause all of the big companies have accepted the $165 rate as the average. I might have been wrong on that Volvo dealer also. I think it might actually be $299/hr. I heard someone say it a while back and $200 seemed really high but if the other luxury brands are in the $300-400 range already then I think it was on that higher end.

SHOdown220

Established Member
The Ram 1500 had a water leak from the sunroof - the drain tube was not connected. Ram covered it 100%. Interior was completely removed. Carpet and sound deadening was removed and replaced. Again, they covered it 100%.

So you're telling us that the "trim piece" you circled, which actually looks like a functional insert and not trim, caused a leak and Ford isn't going to cover anything? That's real retarded, sir.
Was that under factory warranty or an extended warranty? Factory 3/36 is way different than any extended warranty

SHOdown220

Established Member
My local ford store is 25-30 an hr for techs and 109hr for gas and 129hr for diesel...service writters 400 a week lol

When i was writer there 10 years ago was 20- 25 hr, 79hr gas 99hr diesel...not sure what writers get now
400 a week sounds like a base pay plus commission. When I worked for ford we were paid a base of something like 400-500 a week for showing up plus commission on parts and tech hours. Current job has $0 base pay all commission but it works in my favor as long as I keep myself busy.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Yea local ford place near me is nearing $200 a hour.

Benz is over $400 per hour. Still paying techs 25 a hour
That’s just rape and pillage, when I was a service manager not all that long ago our door rate was 2.5 times the labour burden rate, that’s wages and benefits costs. So a tech making 25.00/hr add in benefits, maybe 12.00/hr 37.00x2.5 = 92.50/hr make it an even 100/hr and they are still making money

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
400 a week sounds like a base pay plus commission. When I worked for ford we were paid a base of something like 400-500 a week for showing up plus commission on parts and tech hours. Current job has $0 base pay all commission but it works in my favor as long as I keep myself busy.
No comission for the writters then...parts got comission...if we were lucky we got a bonus each month of 200 to 400 bucks lol
Glad i left when i started nursing school in 2009 lol

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That’s just rape and pillage, when I was a service manager not all that long ago our door rate was 2.5 times the labour burden rate, that’s wages and benefits costs. So a tech making 25.00/hr add in benefits, maybe 12.00/hr 37.00x2.5 = 92.50/hr make it an even 100/hr and they are still making money

Benefit costs have probably doubled in the last 5 years.

Users who are viewing this thread