Same old story, compression loss in 7 and 8.

Copperhead

"Cover me, Porkins!"
Established Member
My car has been idling very rough since Christmas and it has ran chronically rich in spite of tuning since then. It never threw a code though. We've thought everything from bad 02 and frp sensors to lost flywheel weights. I finally took it in and a comp check shows loss on 7 and 8.

The car still makes pretty good power though (430ish hp) but the tq is off (400ish).

I don't know how much compression loss there is, but the service manager seems to think the pistons are ok and it is the valves that are bent. I don't know yet if warranty will cover it or not. I assume not.

If it is the valves only, how much am I looking at for the fix? I was thinking of doing the apten cooling mod while the engine was out.

Any other problems to check for or mods to do while the engine is out that you all can think of? It has had 2.8 pulley, cai, chip, off road x and catback since about 6k miles. It has 43k on it now, and the problem prolly begun at 38k.

Thoughts?

fastozzy

Whalenstein
Established Member
Seen you pull in at dealer Monday, I had a oil change. Sh*t like this continues to make me think about selling this car. I still haven done any real mods for this very reason.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Yes do the Apten!!!!

No noises????

Get ready for burned pistons.... 7 and 8

2.8 pulley makes great power...... and a lot of HEAT!!!!

I think they are too much...
Spins the blower too high.... my opinion....
To run that set up and see it live...
Boost a pump.... or equivalent...
Over rich tune...
Aftermarket high quality forged pistons .... with wider rings
and more end gap than stock(heat)

Sorry to hear about another casualty
:nonono:
Good luck!
Jimmy:(

Copperhead

"Cover me, Porkins!"
Established Member
Hey Ozzy. Yours was apart once wasn't it?

I hope they aren't burned Jimmy. So is there any chance a Ford will cover a head swap with my mods? I knew the risk I was taking when I did them, so I won't be pissed if they won't, but I wondered if it has been admitted that there was a preexisting condition if that would make a difference.

Emmerson_Biggins

Huge, that is
Established Member
If the dealer performs a cylinder leak down test they will be able to dertermine if it is a bent valve or faulty pistons/rings before the engine ever gets disassembled.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
I highly doubt its a bent valve if anything its piston damage. The top of the piston cant take a beating before you notice any problems, but once the heat messes up the ring lands your hosed.

sn8kbite

Established Member
I would think that any mechanic worth a grain of salt would have a bore scope and could look inside the cylinder to actually see what the problem is.My guess is the same as the others fried pistons and rings.
When mine burnt the car still ran and idled fine it just lacked power and had a faint ticking noise that was annoying as crap.

NeedForSpeed

Established Member
if it's any help, i had a 2.8 upper, 4# lower, exhaust & every bolt on.

My bottom end sounded like someone was knockin on a metal door....

I took it in and they replaced the d\s head..... then voided my warrantee

Copperhead

"Cover me, Porkins!"
Established Member
Should I take it and trade it at a different dealership, or will they have shared the info in OASIS already?

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Originally posted by Copperhead
Should I take it and trade it at a different dealership, or will they have shared the info in OASIS already?

No....are you a man of good character? Please think of the poor sap that buys it and whom will be stuck footing the bill for a motor you damaged.

cobra101

Established Member
What was your a/f ratio like? Just wondering if a pig rich tune would fry #7 and #8 as easily compared to one running 11.8 a/f up top.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Sorry to have to add you to the list of failures, Copperhead. I PM'd you the standard list of questions for the "Summary of blown engines" thread.

Copperhead

"Cover me, Porkins!"
Established Member
Its hard to say what it was at. Like I said the problem began so long ago and I can't even remember what the mods were at the time. It seems like it was around 10:1 at the time, though, the failure could have led to the richness. It was at about 11.5:1 at one time.

Anyone have a guess at the cost to repair if warranty is no help?

Users who are viewing this thread