Salvaged 1991 coupe... opinions on value???

SRT_2_SVT

Established Member
Well fellas,
I'm considering buying a coupe I found local but wanted to ask a few opinions first. Feel free to speak your mind.*

The car is a 1991 coupe. Original 4cyl car that has been swapped like many of them. It is Oxford white with original black interior (my favorite combo) with power locks and windows. From 8 feet... The car looks showroom clean. I'm assuming it was painted within the last few years. The paint is nice and glossy. However, up close there are some minor noticeable lines on the moldings from where they taped it off and on the roof, the paint has some cracks in it. Not very noticeable but its there. Only interior flaws are on the drivers seat where the outer bolster has a rip and two small holes on the dash from where I'm assuming a tach was mounted in the past. The holes are plugged so hardly noticeable.

The good part... The car has a fresh DSS 331 stroker in it. Stock block that is girdled. Other mods are... Trickflow 205 heads, Anderson N-91 cam, bbk SSI intake, bbk throttle body, summit mass air with a nice CAI, MSD coil, MSD distributer, Mishimoto (spelling) big aluminum radiator with electric fans, shorty headers, x-pipe and flows, tremec 5 - speed with short throw and new clutch, aluminum driveshaft, 8.8 rear with 31- spline axles and 3.73 gear. Car has 3" cowl hood, fresh smoked headlights, fresh stock lx tails and some brand new staggered chrome 17" fr500's on it with brand new nittos.*

Im sure I'm missing some things but that's the majority of it. The owner said there is less than 200 miles on the motor since it was put in the car so it's still in its break in period and not ready to be beat on. I took the car for a drive and it drives great. Heat works and a/c was working prior to the motor swap but still needs to be charged.*

Owner is a super nice local guy and offered to have the roof repainted as his buddy owns a paint and body shop and said his buddy could also charge the a/c and fix the rip in the drivers seat while he's at it. Just needs to have the car for 4-5 days to get it all fixed. Also said he has an extra tremec trans with a bad 4th gear and a set of bullet wheels with nitto drag radials on them that he'd throw in for $6500 total.*

I looked the car over extremely well and from what I can tell, it's perfectly straight. Owner said he bought it with the salvaged title but he was told it was a theft recovery from years ago. It had different wheels on it and a stock 5.0 in it when he bought it.*

So... given everything I've stated here, do you guys feel it's worth $6500? If it was clear title, I'd be all over it! Just a little hesitant on buying a salvaged title vehicle. Just don't want to have any hassle in the future should I want to sell the car. I know salvaged titles scare away a lot of folks.

Thanks fellas! Lmk your thoughts.*:)

Link to my identical post on corral but with pics. My phone won't let me load them on here...

Salvaged 1991 coupe... opinions on value??? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

Last edited:

itSSlow98

Established Member
For that price I would buy it, its not a collector car its going to be a driver. My only advice is to check with your insurance company because I have heard some will not cover vehicles with a salvage title.

EDIT: Just realized who this was. Like you need a slow fox body anyways lol

SRT_2_SVT

Established Member
Lol! Oh I def don't NEED it. I wasn't looking by any means. I was filling the cobra up with corn juice at the local gas station and this guy pulled in to look at my car. We got talking and he said he had been considering selling his coupe and then I was interested. Lol I'm just looking at it for a fun little daily driver. My insurance will cover it but under liability only. I can deal with that. I just didn't know if the salvaged title would be more hassle than its worth when it comes time to sell it again.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
Take no offense, but I tend to pick over a fox for sale ad pretty quickly. 10 seconds in I'm to the point it's a former 4 banger with a stock block, t5, and some ugly intake(sorry).

I wouldn't pay $4,500, but to each their own.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
Can't see the pictures because I'm not a member there.

Definitely not an investment, and won't ever be. A salvaged title car like this should only be bought if you plan on keeping it and you can enjoy the hell out of it in the process. I have no idea what theyre worth, but find a similar one and take $500-1000 off what a clean version would go for.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
Car looks good, and I love white coupes....I would probably try and beat him down $500, but pay the $6500 if he didn't budge.

SRT_2_SVT

Established Member
Oh yeah... i love me a clean white coupe especially with black interior! Any other interior color and id let it pass. U just dont see too many clean black original interiors in these cars. At $6500... I'm thinking it's a borderline deal. But... When u consider the extras he's throwing in, that's about $1k in value right there alone if I sold the extra wheels / tires and the extra tremec trans with the bad syncro so I'd be $5500 into it when said and done. I've been looking hard both on Craigslist and the forums to see what other coupes can be had for the money and I'm not seeing many other options that compare to it for the price considering the condition of the car and the mods on it.

My thinking is this... The car has a solid drive train in it with the 331 and nice trickflow heads and a clean black interior with brand new wheels and tires, etc. Majority of the value is right there anyway. Worst case scenario, a clean roller could be had for cheap and I swap all the good stuff over to a clean title car if I wanted to go that route... or I can just drive it as is.

The owner and I have spoken since I posted this and I shared my concerns with him and told him for closer to $5k, I'd be game but for $6500, it's a toss up. He said he understands and that he can work with me some for a quick sale. Said $5k is far too low with the money in it but if I wanted it, $5800 would take the car with the extras and he'd still have his buddy to the repairs on it at his body shop. For any less, he said he'd keep it and post it on Craigslist when he gets a chance for $8k obo and see what happens.

For the $5800 now, it seems like a solid deal.

SRT_2_SVT

Established Member
Take no offense, but I tend to pick over a fox for sale ad pretty quickly. 10 seconds in I'm to the point it's a former 4 banger with a stock block, t5, and some ugly intake(sorry).

None taken bud! I'm not a fan of the intake either but that's not a big deal to change. The block itself is stock but the rotating assembly is all forged. It is a former 4 banger but the swap doesn't have much to it. Pretty sure the only difference between an original 5.0 car and a 4cyl is the wiring harness, motor, trans and 8.8. All of those have been swapped so no corners cut from what I can see. It has a tremec trans in it that shifts nice and smooth and an extra tremec tko600 with a bad synchro that comes with it. Not trying to talk anyone into liking it. Just clarifying if I wasn't 100% clear on those things.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Oh yeah... i love me a clean white coupe especially with black interior! Any other interior color and id let it pass. U just dont see too many clean black original interiors in these cars. At $6500... I'm thinking it's a borderline deal. But... When u consider the extras he's throwing in, that's about $1k in value right there alone if I sold the extra wheels / tires and the extra tremec trans with the bad syncro so I'd be $5500 into it when said and done. I've been looking hard both on Craigslist and the forums to see what other coupes can be had for the money and I'm not seeing many other options that compare to it for the price considering the condition of the car and the mods on it.

My thinking is this... The car has a solid drive train in it with the 331 and nice trickflow heads and a clean black interior with brand new wheels and tires, etc. Majority of the value is right there anyway. Worst case scenario, a clean roller could be had for cheap and I swap all the good stuff over to a clean title car if I wanted to go that route... or I can just drive it as is.

The owner and I have spoken since I posted this and I shared my concerns with him and told him for closer to $5k, I'd be game but for $6500, it's a toss up. He said he understands and that he can work with me some for a quick sale. Said $5k is far too low with the money in it but if I wanted it, $5800 would take the car with the extras and he'd still have his buddy to the repairs on it at his body shop. For any less, he said he'd keep it and post it on Craigslist when he gets a chance for $8k obo and see what happens.

For the $5800 now, it seems like a solid deal.
I agree it's a pretty solid deal, since he is still throwing in the extras and having the roof/seat repaired and A/C charged.

SRT_2_SVT

Established Member
That's what I'm thinking. I haven't seen any other nice coupes I like for the same or less money. The only thing I'd want to do is have it put up on a lift so I can get a solid look at the under body and confirm that it is as straight as it looks.

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
Like you mentioned this is 100% you buying the drivetrain/parts on the car. That empty shell is worth what the local LKQ/You pull it will give you or part that out as well.

Sick03Vert

Banned
That's what I'm thinking. I haven't seen any other nice coupes I like for the same or less money. The only thing I'd want to do is have it put up on a lift so I can get a solid look at the under body and confirm that it is as straight as it looks.

Definitely do that.

However, I love a good foxbody and IMO, if he is going to fix the issues, at $5800 I think it's a good deal, assuming the car is straight.

As others have said though, I'd buy it only if I intend to keep it. Everyone uses a salvage title as an excuse to offer $5 for a car when you go to sell it.

Just something to keep in mind, but if you're going to keep it and drive it then I'd say go for it.

Good luck. :beer:

ibleedblue65

Established Member

This. And salvage title.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
$4500 and not a dime more, and even then the seller is getting a great deal.

If it was clean title id say more around $5500 but the whole "theft recovery" is lulz unless the carfax is legitimate in stating this. Most will say its "theft recovery" in hopes the potential buyer doesnt do his due diligence and find it was on a frame rack.

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
Those Trick Flow 205 heads are what makes this a good deal. That 331 has lots of potential with those heads. Not a fan of the intake, but I know you aren't either. $6500 is a little bit pricy, but a 331 isn't cheap either.

See if he will take $4500 for it, and swap the drivetrain over to clean body.

Last edited:

SRT_2_SVT

Established Member
Thanks for all the responses fellas. Im thinking its pretty close to a fair deal at the $5800. No way he would go $4500 as much as id like him to. I tried for $5k and he basically said thats just way too low. The many nice parts alone are worth that and then some since hes also giving me the extras with it. $5800 is his bottom dollar or he will list it public and see what happens. A clean white coupe with black interior with some nice mods usually wont last long regardless the title situation... at least from what ive seen lately. I just wasnt sure how much of a difference to value the title made on a car of this age but i know a clean coupe is getting harder to find and it seems like prices on them are increasing from what ive seen on the forums and craigslist lately. Supply and demand i guess.

The motor being a 331 and the trickflow heads are def majority of the attraction here considering their value. The setup has potential. Scrap that intake for trickflow trackheat or holley systemax and it would be a little spunky setup for a driver. He also literally put the wheels and tires (both brand new) on the car less than 2 weeks ago so there's what... $1400 or so in fresh shoes and nittos?

Im still kicking this around. Im going to talk to him today and see if he'd let me take it to a shop to put it on a lift before we lock in on the deal. If he does that and it checks out clean, i dont see it being a bad deal. I figure i can sell the extra wheels and tranny for about $1000 and i'd be $4800 or so into the car. I think if i went over there with $5500 cash and said take it or leave it, he'd prob do that.

The good news is, a friend of mine knows this guy pretty well and says hes a good dude. Very honest and up front about everything which ive felt is an accurate statement in talking to him and dealing with him thus far. My buddy actually pulled the stock 5.0 out of this car personally and put the 331 in it for him. He confirmed that the car has everything the guy says it does. He says the underside body wise looks very clean from what he saw. The DSS motor was actually ordered for another car (sn95 the same guy owns) and was dropped in the car but not for long. When he got the coupe, he pulled the good setup out of that car and put the stock setup back in the sn95 to sell it intending to keep the coupe instead. Long story short... he had something come up and can use the money now for some unexpected expenses. My buddy feels its a solid deal for what hes asking for it. Should i buy it and want out of it, my buddy says i should be able to get my money back or a little more with everything the car has on it even with the salvaged title. Thats just his opinion though.

My only other reservation is that the car is said to still be in its break in period. It drove and shifted great but we didnt take it over about 3500 or so the whole time. Guy said the motor has maybe 100 miles on it total. Im not too familiar with whats required for break in on these but he said he let the car idle for 20 mins on initial startup for the cam to break in before he drove it and said hes planning on taking it easy for the first 500 miles or so to make sure everything seats properly. Does that sound right?

Last edited:

leo2hot4tv

Established Member
Thanks for all the responses fellas. Im thinking its pretty close to a fair deal at the $5800. No way he would go $4500 as much as id like him to. I tried for $5k and he basically said thats just way too low. The many nice parts alone are worth that and then some since hes also giving me the extras with it. $5800 is his bottom dollar or he will list it public and see what happens. A clean white coupe with black interior with some nice mods usually wont last long regardless the title situation... at least from what ive seen lately. I just wasnt sure how much of a difference to value the title made on a car of this age but i know a clean coupe is getting harder to find and it seems like prices on them are increasing from what ive seen on the forums and craigslist lately. Supply and demand i guess.

The motor being a 331 and the trickflow heads are def majority of the attraction here considering their value. The setup has potential. Scrap that intake for trickflow trackheat or holley systemax and it would be a little spunky setup for a driver. He also literally put the wheels and tires (both brand new) on the car less than 2 weeks ago so there's what... $1400 or so in fresh shoes and nittos?

Im still kicking this around. Im going to talk to him today and see if he'd let me take it to a shop to put it on a lift before we lock in on the deal. If he does that and it checks out clean, i dont see it being a bad deal. I figure i can sell the extra wheels and tranny for about $1000 and i'd be $4800 or so into the car. I think if i went over there with $5500 cash and said take it or leave it, he'd prob do that.

The good news is, a friend of mine knows this guy pretty well and says hes a good dude. Very honest and up front about everything which ive felt is an accurate statement in talking to him and dealing with him thus far. My buddy actually pulled the stock 5.0 out of this car personally and put the 331 in it for him. He confirmed that the car has everything the guy says it does. He says the underside body wise looks very clean from what he saw. The DSS motor was actually ordered for another car (sn95 the same guy owns) and was dropped in the car but not for long. When he got the coupe, he pulled the good setup out of that car and put the stock setup back in the sn95 to sell it intending to keep the coupe instead. Long story short... he had something come up and can use the money now for some unexpected expenses. My buddy feels its a solid deal for what hes asking for it. Should i buy it and want out of it, my buddy says i should be able to get my money back or a little more with everything the car has on it even with the salvaged title. Thats just his opinion though.

My only other reservation is that the car is said to still be in its break in period. It drove and shifted great but we didnt take it over about 3500 or so the whole time. Guy said the motor has maybe 100 miles on it total. Im not too familiar with whats required for break in on these but he said he let the car idle for 20 mins on initial startup for the cam to break in before he drove it and said hes planning on taking it easy for the first 500 miles or so to make sure everything seats properly. Does that sound right?

If he won't let you beat on it run. There are break in periods for the engine but if you can't beat on it how can you be sure all is in order? Remember once money changes hands, it's your problems. Far too many people discovering crap once they tear down the engines after the previous owner swore it was less than 500 miles on the built motor.

SRT_2_SVT

Established Member
That's a good point. I'll be sure to drive it when I take it to put it on a lift. I don't have to bang rev limiter but I want to see how she runs up in the rpms before buying it.

Users who are viewing this thread