Saleen s/c over Gt500!!!

cobradude

SVT DUDE
Established Member
First off, let me say this. I am disapointed with the Gt 500...it was suppose to wiegh 3,600 pounds have a detuned ford gt motor w/ a twin screw. Rant over!!! Okay, I'm not talking Saleen Extreme 550hp@500 torque.I'm refering to the s/c Saleen. It looks better has 435hp 425 torque(twin screw) and weighs 3,550. Compared to a Gt 500 which is 475@475 and weighs 3,940(whopper) 400 more pounds equals 50hp. Both should be underrated. The thing I'm in a bind about is the 330 5.4,is the Saleen going to be as easy to mod as the Gt 500?

chuckstang

Established Member
wow. first off, no forged internals on the saleen and it is just a reg ol 3v all aluminum gt mustang v8 with a twin screw on it. no safe way to make any more power then what you already have, plus its gona cost about 10k more and just honestly its a no brainer that the gt500 is far superior and a better value. but if you have deep pockets and care more about looks and exclusivity , then well, buy a saleen s/c.
all saleens have been like this, more show and less go.

crispy23c

SVT Chupacabra
Established Member
chuckstang said:
wow. first off, no forged internals on the saleen and it is just a reg ol 3v all aluminum gt mustang v8 with a twin screw on it. no safe way to make any more power then what you already have, plus its gona cost about 10k more and just honestly its a no brainer that the gt500 is far superior and a better value. but if you have deep pockets and care more about looks and exclusivity , then well, buy a saleen s/c.
all saleens have been like this, more show and less go.
Yeah, what he said. :pop: Plus, the GT500 won't have the dumb triple wing. If you want to do that, buy a Mustang GT, Spend your money on a nice 2 screw blower & forged internals. If you want new bodywork, go to CDC (classic design concepts). They have some cool designs. After that, you probably will still be cheaper than a Saleen, and it won't break when you jump on it. :burnout:

Solo500

Established Member
What about the other mustangs out/ coming? Such as the Boss and etc. Is the GT500 going to be the most powerful?

Solo500

Established Member
Is the GT500 actually going to be the fastest production Mustang? If not what is all the extra money for? An overpriced name? I want what I'm paying for.

Skywarp

Established Member
Solo500 said:
What about the other mustangs out/ coming? Such as the Boss and etc. Is the GT500 going to be the most powerful?
Rumor has it all future special editions have been shelved ie: Mach, Bullitt, Adrenalin due to financial woes. I like the Saleen. It has the scenic roof, 19s, optional 550HP WITH a warranty. The tailights remind me of a 70-71 Cuda, better seats than the 500. Its all about taste.

Viperluke

Established Member
I chose a S/C Saleen over a 07 Cobra. If the final version of the Cobra hadn't been watered down, compared to the Cobra we saw a year ago. I would have went with the Shelby/Cobra.
The Saleens are running 385-400 on the dynos. So the 435 official HP rating seems a little low. With bolt-ons I'm shooting for 450plus rwhp...stock it only runs 5lbs of boost...and the Saleen weighs almost 400lbs less than the Cobra. I know beauty is an individual thing, but I think Saleens are gorgeous. The compliments, stares, questions this car gets is crazy.
I'm not dissing the Shelby. For me the S/C Saleen was the better choice.
Skywarp-The wheels are 20's
Pic

wall2ic.jpg

Last edited:

Viperluke

Established Member
Thanks Crispy. Another reason I went with the Saleen is because, who knows when I'd be able to buy a Shelby at MSRP.

crazyhorse06

Established Member
Viperluke said:
Thanks Crispy. Another reason I went with the Saleen is because, who knows when I'd be able to buy a Shelby at MSRP.
If that is a S/C Saleen, it surely had to cost you more than the GT500 with 10k markup. Aren't the S/C'd ones well into the 50Ks?

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I would take the Saleen just for looks IMO. But not having a DOHC, much less a 5.4 DOHC is a very bit problem that would make me really consider that question. Oh, and the fact that the Saleen is way overpriced for the package you get.

-Jeff

venams03

Established Member
Viperluke;

That is a nice Saleen! It's just too bad that FORD couldn't make the GT-500 a little more like that. Maybe they should have brough in Steve Saleen for his styling cues instead of paying Shelby!

crazyhorse06

Established Member
venams03 said:
Viperluke;

That is a nice Saleen! It's just too bad that FORD couldn't make the GT-500 a little more like that. Maybe they should have brough in Steve Saleen for his styling cues instead of paying Shelby!
Honestly, I'm glad they didn't. Styling is an individual taste thing, but, I just don't like the overstyled plastic pieces on the car. I didn't like the last generation either.

Viperluke

Established Member
As far as styling. I wish the 07 Shelby looked just like the one from a year ago. That car looked badass. It was my wall paper for quite awhile. That car had a different hood, wheels(size), brakes, spoiler, stripes, Shelby name across the back.
But I am anxious to see the production model in person.
Yeah I think Saleens are a bit overpriced. A lot of what you're paying for is exclusivity. Only 309 S/C's were made in 2005.

dsc000307tr.jpg

Last edited:

Skywarp

Established Member
Viperluke said:
As far as styling. I wish the 07 Shelby looked just like the one from a year ago. That car looked badass. It was my wall paper for quite awhile. That car had a different hood, wheels(size), brakes, spoiler, stripes, Shelby name across the back.
But I am anxious to see the production model in person.
Yeah I think Saleens are a bit overpriced. A lot of what you're paying for is exclusivity. Only 309 S/C's were made in 2005.

dsc000306xv.jpg
You might know this. Can you get the auto in an S/C car? I know its an option.

Viperluke

Established Member
You can get an auto. But you have to order it. The wait is really long. I couldn't imagine having an auto. :nonono:

crispy23c

SVT Chupacabra
Established Member
Solo500 said:

Last I heard, Boss was still on. That won't have as much HP, but you can bet your a** that it will take a corner real nice . My bet? 400-425 HP, N/A, and a sweet handler. Nothing to sneeze at. :bowdown: :beer: :burnout:

Users who are viewing this thread