Sager Laptops?

Fuerza

Established Member
Gents, its time for a new portable computer. I'm looking for a compact powerhouse, if there is such a thing. Originally I wanted a 13in MacBook Pro with retina display but it's not in the budget. I want something in the 13-14 inch range. I built a Sager laptop for about $1k but I'd like your feedback and suggestions on other machines.

Display 14" HD LED-Backlit Display with Super Glossy Surface (1366 x 768)
Zero Dead Pixel Insurance Guaranteed no dead or partially-lit pixels for first 30 days of purchasing [$50.00]
Video & Graphics Card Intel GMA HD Integrated Graphics with Share Memory Architecture up to 1.7GB
CPU Processor 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM Processor ( 6MB L3 Cache, 2.40GHz) [$100.00]
Thermal Compound Stock Standard Thermal Compound
Operating System Genuine MS Windows® 7 Home Premium 32/64-Bit Edition ( 64-Bit Preloaded )
Instant Windows 8 Pro Upgrade Offer with Windows 7 Purchase Yes, I will be upgrading to Windows 8 Pro Via Microsoft [$-15.00]
Memory 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 2 X 4GB [$30.00]
Primary Hard Disk Drive 128GB Crucial M4 Series SATA3 Solid State Disk Drive [$70.00]
Optical Drive Bay — Optical Drive or Hard Disk Drive in Optical Drive Bay with Caddy case 8X DVD±R/RW/4X +DL Super-Multi Drive & Software
Wireless Network Card Killer™ Wireless-N 1202 802.11 A/B/G/N Wireless LAN + Bluetooth 4.0 Combo Module [$50.00]
Primary Battery Smart Li-ION Battery Pack
Microsoft Office Microsoft Office Starter 2010 - Included in Price
Warranty Sager 1 Year Limited Parts and Labor Warranty

Important things to me are SSD drive, it doesn't have to be huge because I never download anything. I want it for faster booting & application launching. Window's 7, I'm not sure I want Window's 8 yet, I played with it at Bestbuy and wasn't sold on it. Size, under 14 inch, I don't want to lug around a 15-17 inch machine. Strong WIFI/wireless connector, I'll be using this on the go so having a good connection is important.

Thanks for your thoughts!

GloomySVT

LolUMad?
Established Member

xXGadfly09Xx

Banned
Gents, its time for a new portable computer. I'm looking for a compact powerhouse, if there is such a thing. Originally I wanted a 13in MacBook Pro with retina display but it's not in the budget. I want something in the 13-14 inch range. I built a Sager laptop for about $1k but I'd like your feedback and suggestions on other machines.

Display 14" HD LED-Backlit Display with Super Glossy Surface (1366 x 768)
Zero Dead Pixel Insurance Guaranteed no dead or partially-lit pixels for first 30 days of purchasing [$50.00]
Video & Graphics Card Intel GMA HD Integrated Graphics with Share Memory Architecture up to 1.7GB
CPU Processor 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM Processor ( 6MB L3 Cache, 2.40GHz) [$100.00]
Thermal Compound Stock Standard Thermal Compound
Operating System Genuine MS Windows® 7 Home Premium 32/64-Bit Edition ( 64-Bit Preloaded )
Instant Windows 8 Pro Upgrade Offer with Windows 7 Purchase Yes, I will be upgrading to Windows 8 Pro Via Microsoft [$-15.00]
Memory 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 2 X 4GB [$30.00]
Primary Hard Disk Drive 128GB Crucial M4 Series SATA3 Solid State Disk Drive [$70.00]
Optical Drive Bay — Optical Drive or Hard Disk Drive in Optical Drive Bay with Caddy case 8X DVD±R/RW/4X +DL Super-Multi Drive & Software
Wireless Network Card Killer™ Wireless-N 1202 802.11 A/B/G/N Wireless LAN + Bluetooth 4.0 Combo Module [$50.00]
Primary Battery Smart Li-ION Battery Pack
Microsoft Office Microsoft Office Starter 2010 - Included in Price
Warranty Sager 1 Year Limited Parts and Labor Warranty

Important things to me are SSD drive, it doesn't have to be huge because I never download anything. I want it for faster booting & application launching. Window's 7, I'm not sure I want Window's 8 yet, I played with it at Bestbuy and wasn't sold on it. Size, under 14 inch, I don't want to lug around a 15-17 inch machine. Strong WIFI/wireless connector, I'll be using this on the go so having a good connection is important.

Thanks for your thoughts!

no dedicated graphics for 1000 yeah right

no good

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Sounds like overkill for what you'd use it for.

A 399$ 15" laptop would be plenty...I still havent switched to SSD on my gaming desktop or gaming laptop, and probably wont for another year or two.

96 cobra

Established Member
Just picked up a lenovo G570, $400 shipped with 8-gigs ram, Intel i3 2.4, etc.

It won't breeze through the latest games w/ all settings maxed out, but otherwise does a very nice job for the uses you listed.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I was pricing an HP Envy. Loaded with a rebate came to $2,100. A bit high, but the notebook seems to be impressive (configured with a 320gb SS drive). HP rated well? It's a 17", of course, but price wise it compares with the Sager.

Fuerza

Established Member
I want overkill for the performance. My wife has a basic HP laptop and its slow along with our aging desktop. I went to compusa today and everything is loaded with windows 8. I need to act fast before everything is windows 8.

04SVT_COBRA

CO No Mas
Established Member
Just picked up a refurbished Lenovo Y570. I bought it from someone off of craigslist for $500, but they had paid about $620.

i7
8gb DDR3 SDRAM
Dedicated NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M 1GB
500GB 7200 rpm HD
64GB SSD

Not sure how you feel about refurbished, but it comes with a one year warranty. Mine was not a scratch and dent so it looks brand new and has zero flaws. Can't beat that laptop for $500

Satyr

Established Member
Sounds like overkill for what you'd use it for.

A 399$ 15" laptop would be plenty...I still havent switched to SSD on my gaming desktop or gaming laptop, and probably wont for another year or two.

You're missing out! Best thing about SSD's is that I just my computer off instead of letting it sleep. Surprisingly, it has actually affected my electricity bill. Boots take 15-20 seconds and you can't beat the speed of opening hefty programs (Steam, PS, etc.).

Plus, I am always getting emails from MicroCenter that they're having some awesome sale on them. 256gb for like 120 bucks--name brand, too. Can't beat it.

Satyr

Established Member
I want overkill for the performance. My wife has a basic HP laptop and its slow along with our aging desktop. I went to compusa today and everything is loaded with windows 8. I need to act fast before everything is windows 8.

You looked into the Samsung and Asus ultrabooks? Can be had for ~1200 and they have awesome battery life and really impressive stats. Graphics performance won't be handling Crysis and there's no CD drive, but if you don't need those things, they are fantastic for battery life and lightness.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
You're missing out! Best thing about SSD's is that I just my computer off instead of letting it sleep. Surprisingly, it has actually affected my electricity bill. Boots take 15-20 seconds and you can't beat the speed of opening hefty programs (Steam, PS, etc.).

Plus, I am always getting emails from MicroCenter that they're having some awesome sale on them. 256gb for like 120 bucks--name brand, too. Can't beat it.

I just hibernate my laptop when i'm done and it comes up fast enough for me. Load times havent impacted me enough to spend the $$ on a ssd I'd be happy with.

FWIW, I have the Asus G74sx with 12gb and core i7 proc.

http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G74SX/#specifications

Bought it off craigslist, sealed in box for 725$.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Couple of good deals on a tigerdirect sale today.

TigerDirect.com | WEM3314 | Our Famous 73 Hour Early Christmas Sale!

As far as windows 8 goes, if you turn off the metro theme, it is 90% the same as windows 7, so dont let that bother you.

Yeah, major difference being no Aero theme. Here's an interesting article discussing why Aero is gone.

I, too, have noticed that the number of Windows 7 equipped notebooks is fast disappearing. The big question for me is how much more stable Windows 8 (with Metro disabled) is over the latest Windows 7 release.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah, major difference being no Aero theme. Here's an interesting article discussing why Aero is gone.

I, too, have noticed that the number of Windows 7 equipped notebooks is fast disappearing. The big question for me is how much more stable Windows 8 (with Metro disabled) is over the latest Windows 7 release.

I've never used Aero...

VegasMichael

Established Member
Alienware, now part of Dell, has a 14-inch compact powerhouse but a new one will be likely more than you wish to spend. A refurbished/second hand one might be doable for you, though. I'll probably pick one up next year some time.

Users who are viewing this thread