SAFETY ISSSUE: Check your STRANGE shocks NOW!

dougwg

Established Member
I just got them yesterday..... I have looked at them

I believe I know why they failed

I will need to do some measuring today

When I come to a conclusion I will post it here.

dougwg

Established Member
ok... real simple...

I made my bushings to fit the strange shocks that I bought
The lower eyelet has a double back cut taper... which is why my bushings have the same taper

The shocks that hmwave sent me DID NOT HAVE THE SAME EYELET welded to the end of the shock.

The hole was smaller and straight cut, so when hmwave installed the bushings there was WAY too much press.(how was he to know)

I had no idea, nor did hmwave, that Strange would supply the same shock with 2 totally different eyelets.

So... before installing the bushings, make sure the bore is not straight but rather double back tapered.

Hmwave

I'll call you tomorrow and discuss a solution.

Last edited:

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
Good to know. However, I don't recall the specifics of mine. What should I do if mine are not the correct ones but have not yet broken? (only have about 100 miles on them so far).

CWD

Established Member
If bushings fit with ease should be ok?

Do not remember what the eyelet was. My bushings were snug but tapped in easily. Doug, can the Co. give you a production date or reference number when the eyelets changed? After I did the top bushing mod Postban suggested mine have improved 100%! Thanks Charles

dougwg

Established Member
I'll post some pic's later today

in the mean time, I suggest taking on or both of the shocks off at the bottom and remove the bushings to see if the bore is straight.

hmwave

Established Member
dougwg said:
I'll post some pic's later today

in the mean time, I suggest taking on or both of the shocks off at the bottom and remove the bushings to see if the bore is straight.

Thanks Doug, look forward to your call.
Glad to hear this may not be a common problem for everyone!

To those who have Doug's kit:
If your bushings went in without too much trouble I expect you are likely OK and have the tapered shell shocks.

As I noted early in the thread I had to press the bushings in with a very large 3/4" breaker bar and a TREMENDOUS amount of torque. I feared the bar would bend I had to pull so hard. I could hear my bench creaking with the force I applied when pressing them in.
Sweat was dripping off my brow at the end of the bushing fitting.
Imagine the cliched Dentist standing on the patients shoulders with the big pliers, kind of like that.

So, if you managed to fit your bushings without needing near superhuman strength, you are likely to have the tapered shells and probably won't have the same failure I did.

Last edited:

oldnfast

approaching ancient
Established Member
I feel for both you and Doug. I'm going to check mine tomorrow, but I doubt I have a problem.

I'm guessing one of you will talk to Strange regarding the difference. If you do, let us know what they say.

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
dougwg said:
don't install them! :dw:

maybe I should clarify.....what is the next step if we have already installed them. Are you working on a different bushing set or are we supposed to deal directly with strange to see about getting a set that fits the bushings?

Venomous04

Established Member
Ok I have the billetflow bushings how do I go about getting the correct shocks?

any vendors on here can confirm that the shocks are the ones required? I'll order today I've got a credit card ready to go :)

Tat03Cobra

Established Member
Subscribing to see the pictures from Doug. I have the strange shocks and billetflow's adapter - but I cant seem to tell it I have the tapered ones...

peace

hmwave

Established Member
Tat03Cobra said:
Subscribing to see the pictures from Doug. I have the strange shocks and billetflow's adapter - but I cant seem to tell it I have the tapered ones...

peace

Were the bushings hard to fit?
If not you are probably ok.

dougwg

Established Member
opps... been very busy for the past week... it slipped my mind... well what I have left of my mind...

I'll try to remember to post pic's later today... sorry for the delay

Tat03Cobra

Established Member
hmwave said:
Were the bushings hard to fit?
If not you are probably ok.
They are not installed yet - which is exactly why I'd like to know if I have the right match or not before doing so.

peace

hmwave

Established Member
Tat03Cobra said:
They are not installed yet - which is exactly why I'd like to know if I have the right match or not before doing so.

peace

So try pushing the bushings into place by hand!
Also it should be easy to tell if your Strange shocks are tapered or not. Mine were not.

Users who are viewing this thread