SAFETY ISSSUE: Check your STRANGE shocks NOW!

swlacobra

too many cars
Established Member
what do we do if the shocks are not tapered? i havent put mine on yet and would like to see this resolved before i do. i just hate to pay the inflated price for the qa1's when these would be fine

Tat03Cobra

Established Member
hmwave said:
So try pushing the bushings into place by hand!
Also it should be easy to tell if your Strange shocks are tapered or not. Mine were not.

Already tried that - and they do not push in by hand. Cant tell it the shocks are tapered - maybe if I had the 2 different styles side by side or a picture I could. :shrug:

peace

Zman04

Established Member
Well I just got my shocks. I ended up with one of each style. 1 Straight thourgh and 1 tapered. If the bushings don't slide right in, then you have the straight ones. The tapered have like a ridge where both sides meet in the middle of the housing.

hmwave

Established Member
dougwg said:
opps... been very busy for the past week... it slipped my mind... well what I have left of my mind...

I'll try to remember to post pic's later today... sorry for the delay

Hey Doug, any pics yet?

Also I PM'ed you a few times. Please read, thanks.

cgr46

Established Member
I pulled my shocks. On one of the shocks (the one into which the bushings originally slipped w/ only hand pressure) I was able to easily remove the bushings. After removal it was obvious that the eyelet was tapered. Just as described, the inner diameter decreases towards the center where there is a ridge. As for the other shock - I can't get the bushings out. This is the shock into which I had to press the bushings. I can only assume that the eyelet on that one is incorrect for our application (straight, not tapered). So it looks like I have 1 tapered & 1 straight. Not sure where to go from here... Anyone heard anything from Doug? :shrug:

dougwg

Established Member
cgr46 said:
I pulled my shocks. On one of the shocks (the one into which the bushings originally slipped w/ only hand pressure) I was able to easily remove the bushings. After removal it was obvious that the eyelet was tapered. Just as described, the inner diameter decreases towards the center where there is a ridge. As for the other shock - I can't get the bushings out. This is the shock into which I had to press the bushings. I can only assume that the eyelet on that one is incorrect for our application (straight, not tapered). So it looks like I have 1 tapered & 1 straight. Not sure where to go from here... Anyone heard anything from Doug? :shrug:

CALL ME TOMORROW :)

Dior55

Established Member
Removal of the Strange Stock Bushing

OK, in March I bought BF's "kit" for the Strange adjustable shock upgrade, and I also bought a set of the Strange shocks from Jeg's. When I saw this post, I hesitated to put the shocks on because of the potential problems. I followed this thread closely.

It appears the problem rests in whether or not the Strange shocks purchased have a tapered or straight bushing cup/flange.

My question -- is there any way to "safely" remove the bushing from the Strange shock so that if it turns out that my shocks are of the straight, or non-tapered variety, I can send them back to Jeg's? Is the rubber bushing from the shock in two pieces? In other words, can I spray some WD-40 around there and gingerly remove each side of the rubber bushings?

Alternatively, is BF producing a variety of its bushing which will work on those of us who happen to get the straight, as opposed to tapered, bushing ends? If I remove the bushings and find out they are straight, can I send my "stock" BF bushings back to BF and get a straight cut variety?

This thread seemed to die too young -- as there are some of us wanting to try this set up and we're "betwixt and between".

Thanks.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Dior55 said:
...snip... Is the rubber bushing from the shock in two pieces? In other words, can I spray some WD-40 around there and gingerly remove each side of the rubber bushings?
..snip....

It is one piece of rubber, push out the sleeve first, then push out the bushing.

Dior55

Established Member
OK, thanks for the advise. I put the shocks in my vice with a couple of 2x4 pieces on either side so the material wouldn't get damaged. I squirted some WD-40 all around there and used a tapered brass drift and my trusty 4 lb. hammer to whack out the center sleeve. The entire bushing and sleeve came out in 2 whacks. Just as a point, when I tried to do the second one, I whacked the drift 3 - 4 times with no movement, so I attacked the sleeve from the other side and the sleeve with bushing flew out on my second whack. Everything looks good, so if I had to return the items to Jeg's it would not be a problem.

As it turned out, I have the tapered cup/flange on both of my Strange shocks, so I should be good to go today and get these puppies installed.

Thanks again for the super-fast, great advise!
:pop:

Tat03Cobra

Established Member
My installer had to burn ours out - put some heat in the middle until the rubber melts. then tapped it right out. Since you dont need the rubbers on the old or the strange shocks - it works great!

peace

GordsFord

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Is there any further news/experience with this? I bought the bushings from Doug (along with a totally awesome set of interchangeable pullies, idlers and installation tool!!) but have not bought the shocks yet.

Interested in the latest.

Thanks,
Gord
GordsFord

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
FWIW, mine are still holding up after 1200 miles. If you do the Strange shocks, get the revalved units which I think are available from Hermann.

Dior55

Established Member
My fix worked and seems to be holding up. Plus my wheel hop is about 95% gone -- and I have an entirely stock rear set up, including bushings, etc.

The only thing I was unhappy about at first was the clunking noise coming from the rear of the car. Further reading on the forums showed that the top Strange mount doesn't really work on the SVT, and you have to cannibalize the top mount from the Bilstein shock and use that in conjunction with one half of the Strange mount, cutting out the inside hole to accomodate the Bilstein lower rubber. It was a fairly straightforward fix, and worked great.

I have my shocks set on 10 and I do not mind the ride at all.

GUY WAGNER

Established Member
Hermans shocks

I was out last night with the cobra,just cruising along on a windy road and I hear bang bang!I thought right away I must have broken a shock.I nurse it home,up on the lift,and rr shock broken off at the bottom.These are hermans shocks with dougs bushing kit.Both are tapered inside,but I see what happened.The lca moves in a different plane than the shock angle is in.As long as the bushings are this rigid something will break...................Took off the other side and that eye was broken all the way through also.Just a word for the wary.
Guy

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
Dior55 said:
Who is Herman and what does this have to do with the Strange shocks and Doug's kit?
Herman = "Horsepower by Herman". He was (still is?)selling the Strange shocks revalved for the IRS.

Dior55

Established Member
badboy said:
Herman = "Horsepower by Herman". He was (still is?)selling the Strange shocks revalved for the IRS.

I didn't hear about "revalving" the Strange shock. I just bought the shocks from Jegs as per the posts on here. Is there something "wrong" with the valving of these shocks that Herman needs to fix?

Users who are viewing this thread