Safe NITROUS

GTPRFXN

Established Member
Whats the most you can spray a stock GT motor without running into problems such as rods letting go and so on....... I will be using a NX kit..... with a rpm switch.....

lair116

Established Member
Nos

I think a one stage system like a 100 shot might be a little to much all at one time, you might want to use a two stage like 50 first and 50 for second when your in 4 gear, also If I were you I would use a separate fuel pump and also a 1 gallon fuel tank just for the NOS it self and as a safety purposes install a safety pressure regulator just in case your fuel pressure drops below 7#s it will turn off the the NOS system so you will not burn a valve in two, also buy your self a bottle heater and a purge system, just my 02 cents :idea:

STREETREBEL

Established Member
Fuel Tank

lair116 said:
I think a one stage system like a 100 shot might be a little to much all at one time, you might want to use a two stage like 50 first and 50 for second when your in 4 gear, also If I were you I would use a separate fuel pump and also a 1 gallon fuel tank just for the NOS it self and as a safety purposes install a safety pressure regulator just in case your fuel pressure drops below 7#s it will turn off the the NOS system so you will not burn a valve in two, also buy your self a bottle heater and a purge system, just my 02 cents :idea:

WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST PLACE FOR THE 1 GAL. TANK? :burn:

Blk03GT

Established Member
On my stock bottome end I sprayed 175 shot for 35-40 bottles. She ran good for a long time, but a clogged fuel filter did me in..... :(

With a built bottom you can spray quite a bit.

6spd

Established Member
bump....

i would like to know this question too, i just bought a 2002 gt. and i think thats the route im going.

is it possible to run nitrous all stock? and if so whats safe but not too conservative.?

lair116

Established Member
NOS tank location

I used the one gallon fuel tank mounted to my left fender and hooked up a Holly Red fuel pump right next to that then I put a cool can, just use a coffee can coiled with 3/8 copper line with a plastic lid, then when you want to go hunting down them big blocks just fill the can with dry ice and use 118 blue octane race fuel in the one gallon tank... don't forget to use a safety shut off valve after the pump, you will want about 1100 lbs of psi in your bottle so use a bottle heater and a good pressure gage, if you use a two stage nos kit your motor should last for a while before you will need to up grade to a better set of pistons , crank and rods, I used a 100 hp foggier shot for the first stage then another 125 shot, 225 lasted me one season then it was time for a new rebuild, but at 10.57 seconds in a 4700 lb car it was worth it, have fun. :burnout:

juiced96snake

BOSS 2511
Established Member
100 shot. 20/cylinder on a stock engine is what NX says is safe. So 100 at the wheels (which is what you get with a NX wet kit on 100 jets) will equal close to what NX says is safe.

One that will limit you on spray size on a wet kit that injects the fuel before the TB is runner length. With the long runners the fuel will puddle especial above 100 shot and cause backfires through the intake which has happened to me when I was on 150 shot which split my intake tube in half and belw off every vac line on the upper intake. This acured when I hit it from a stand still or in first. If I started from second no problems.

I dont see the need for a second tank or even two staging such a little shot. When you get above 250...yeah ok maybe.

If you want safe get the NOS nozzle kit which injects the N2O and fuel directly into the cylinders (no puddling).

cobra93teal

Psycho Pilot Racing
Established Member
i ran a 125 shot on my completlley stock 02 gt......it had no other mods ant with a 2.2 60ft the car went 12.9 in the 1/4

SPICER

Blood, Sweat, and Gears!
Established Member
i would only go with a 50 shot if your motor is completly stock, anything else MAKE SURE you get a good tune or you will be asking for trouble

juiced96snake

BOSS 2511
Established Member
I have run over 25 tanks of nitrous at 100 shot setting. When I had the 50 shot jets in I couldnt even hardly tell it was working. 100 shot is safe and you dont need to tune with wet kit. Thats what makes it so great. The folks at Nitrous Express have spent hours dyno testing and your kit comes with handy little chart that tells you what size nitrous and fuel jets to use. If you follow these you will have a safe A/F. There job is nitrous. One thing to do to make sure it is safer is get one step colder plugs (copper or irdium not plats) and gap them to .032". Bottle heater is also highly recommended. In order for you nitrous kit to run at the proper A/F that nitrous express or who ever needs to be at the proper bottle temp. Which is 85 degrees. Which will give you around 900-1050. If you dont have one you will have a hard time getting it to stay anywhere near that. Trust me I have tried.

If you buy a nitrous kit you will soon find that having one or more extra bottles will come in handy. I had two (both are 10# bottles made by nitrous express and are 4sale).

Why did I get rid of my nitrous kit? Cause even though it has a low initial cost you quickly start to realize that at $30-40 a refill and only around 6 runs in the 1/4 per bottle it starts to get expensize. Along with constant plug changing. I figured that within a years time I could have bought a supercharger with the money I would spend filling the bottles. So thats what I did got a supercharger.

lair116

Established Member
Nos

Just remember who ever noes your NOS work better know what there doing or you will be ruining over your crank shaft, and you can not ever have enough safety device, I had a ??? 4800 car that had a basely stock motor and my best time was 10.67, sure theres people that will sell you anything you want and tell you your car will do 9's, so wise up and talk to the pros before you do anything

A 871 BDS on a mild Windsor would get you in the 8's if you had the cash to do something real cool. :burnout:

SPRAYJOB

GTPRFXN said:
Whats the most you can spray a stock GT motor without running into problems such as rods letting go and so on....... I will be using a NX kit..... with a rpm switch.....
I run an NX kit in my 03 GT. I've been running a 150 shot all summer with only a BBk cold air intake as far as other mods and I haven't had a problem yet! I run 1 step colder plug and 93 octane and have been trouble free for 6mos. I would reccomend a window switch, though. You don't want to miss a shift and dump nitrous and fuel in the manifold with no spark if you over-rev. When the spark comes back...you're engine's gonna take one hell of a bang! All in all...I can honestly say I've been more than happy with the performance and reliability of the NX system. Just go for it!

NXSVTCOBRA

what the hell are you guys talking about??? 50 shot, its a GT not a 1.5L Honda on everything stock you can spray 100 shot at 100 shot it isnt required to retard the timing, if you buy a timing adjuster back it back about 3* you can run 125-150 shot... thats on a completely stock car

you say you have a forged bottom end??? i'm assuming if this is true you have all of the major bolt-ons on your car already, why not get a tune :shrug: get more fuel to that motor and spray 175-200 shot on that motor.....

but a 50 shot on a GT is just a tease to that motor, some of the other advice given here is complete :bs:

Last edited by a moderator:

Kentucky8113

GO BIG BLUE!!
Established Member
Sprayed_Pony said:
what the hell are you guys talking about??? 50 shot, its a GT not a 1.5L Honda on everything stock you can spray 100 shot at 100 shot it isnt required to retard the timing, if you buy a timing adjuster back it back about 3* you can run 125-150 shot...

I agree I know plenty of guys running 100 shots with stock bottoms and stock fuel system no problems. One of my best friends went 12.4 on slicks with nothing but a 100 shot and a CAI. 100 shot is safe as long as you don't do anything stupid. Just my .02

NXSVTCOBRA

lair116 said:

why would you run a 2 stage system just for a 50 shot?? also why would you run a 50 shot on both stages??? that defeats the purpose of a 2 stage system, the fuel rail suppiles a sufficient amount of fuel for your nitrous system, you dont need a separate fuel pump or fuel tank on a street system, on a wet shot, just think about the size of the fuel jet, why would you need a separate fuel pump to supply that little amount of fuel???

lair116

Established Member
Big Shot NOS

This is the way I look at it (two things) until you run a flat 9 on motor alone or 10.60 with a Nos set up with a 4800 lb car then you have never lived, so for you boys that are in the 12,s keep doing your thing but don't pull next to me :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread