S550 Brake Upgrade Discussion

32icon321

Established Member
What’s up everyone, I am looking for some discussion on this topic. I have done some searching but haven’t been able to turn up very much at all.

I am looking into doing this swap for a number of reasons. You can pick up a set of 2015 GT front calipers for about $200 shipped on eBay these days. Brembos are about $500.

Fully torqued racing has a kit that will allow us to bolt them to our cars for $350.

Compared to the 2000 R kit ($1200+) this is a smoking deal.

Negatives as I see them:

-Can’t find any sources as to what wheels will allow enough clearance, definitely 18”+

-Kit from FTR includes wheels spacers which I inherently don’t like. Could also cause other clearance issues with inner fenders, etc.

Positives:

-$$ cheap to begin with and cheap to maintain. Gt500 rotors are $89 shipped from LMR.

-14” rotors and the monster calipers look absolutely sick

If anyone has any experience or opinions on this please feel free to chime in. I’d like to run these with some rovos Pretoria wheels but don’t have the wheels to test it out.

I will probably call FTR tomorrow to see if I can get anymore details. Here is a tech write up they did:

http://blog.fullytorquedracing.com/2016/08/26/s550-14-brakes-on-sn95-2001-mustang-gt/

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Interesting. I'll like to upgrade to a big brake kit.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Subscribing. Now how to adapt GT350 brakes?! Actually can buy cheap for what you get.
-J

32icon321

Established Member
Here is a great thread about fitment of gt500 calipers on new edge cars with AFS Cobra 18" Replica wheels. Also some great points about where the 03 Cobra calipers and rotors fall short.
https://www.svtperformance.com/foru...n-a-terminator-with-03-replica-wheels.740092/

This is referring to the Venom Kit which, from what I understand, is discontinued but I cant imagine there are to many differences between their kit and FTR's.

I have been doing some wheel shopping, FTR website confirms that the OEM 07 GT500 wheels ("OR s197 offset") will clear, but IMO they are some of the most underwhelming out there.

The AFS wheels would be great, but they are about $1700? last time I checked for a full set in chrome. For that kind of money I would be looking at some used CCW or TF.

One set that I found that I might be able to live with are the 2010 GT500 wheels. They are 18" and have an offset of 45mm. Heres a thread where a guy was test fitting them on his car, but he was running 1"+ spacers. I saw it on corral too and I think he mentioned he was still having clearance issues. Theres a set local to me for $500 (tires and SVT center caps included) so it is tempting.

https://www.svtperformance.com/foru...oem-gt500-wheels-on-my-new-edge.774236/page-2

Users who are viewing this thread