S&W vs Springfield Armory

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
So I've been eyeballing to XDS and the Shield for sometime. I've watched all the reviews, handled both and will be renting both this weekend for some live-fire trial runs.

One bonus the Shield had was it's made in 'Murica, however, I can't say I'm a huge fan of some of S&W's recent changes like the lawyer lock revolvers.

So, from a organizational point, who gets the thumbs up? S&W or Springfield?

Which state is the Shield actually made it? Who has done more to support the industry, owners rights and what not?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've had both. I have since gotten rid of my Shield.

My favorite XD is the XD Mod 2 in 45.

08mojo

Established Member
If you're looking at that 'type of gun,' and support American made products, have you considered glock? They are made right here in the state of Georgia.

toddyfiveo

Established Member
I am a big fan of Springfield Armory. I personally carry a XD Mod 2 in a .40. My buddy has a .40 Shield and although its slimmer I don't like how it feels in my hand. I have held an XDS but have never shot one, it was the same felt wrong in my hand like the Shield.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
If you're looking at that 'type of gun,' and support American made products, have you considered glock? They are made right here in the state of Georgia.

A Glock is another $100, is ugly as hell and sounds like ****.

It mystifies me how Glock is able to still turn out melted 70's looking plastic guns and people gobble them up.

If I was looking for a standard compact, a used 19 would certainly be on the table however. (Function / Form)

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
I would first consider the one that shoots best in your hand then worry about that other stuff if it's a tie between the two.

Oh certainly. However I'm not expecting either to shoot significantly different from the other.

I'm not an experienced pistol user, so I suspect it's much like rifles. Start using one and that's what you get comfortable with and will set the tone for all future preferences.

I prefer the AK weapon system to the AR, but that's because I've used AKs for 15 years and only recently picked up an AR 3 years ago.

Lots of people are the opposite. I feel the same is likely true of pistol users. First gun a Glock 19? You are going to love anything comparable. First gun a 1911? 1911 for life bruh.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
How big are your hands? My hands are too big for the Shield. The grip is too thin and would take considerable alterations to fix it.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
A Glock is another $100, is ugly as hell and sounds like ****.

It mystifies me how Glock is able to still turn out melted 70's looking plastic guns and people gobble them up.

If I was looking for a standard compact, a used 19 would certainly be on the table however. (Function / Form)
Because they shoot very reliably even when dirty. They may not be the best gun in the world but if I was heading out in an unknown environment or unknown weather the glock would be my first choice.

nxhappy

Established Member
I had a XD, I hated it and sold it.

IMO ...S&W and Glock are better weapons.

Thump_rrr

Established Member
I have very small hands so for me the most important criteria is which gun has the controls positioned best for me. The answer for me is HK.
The P30 has 3 different backstrap sizes and 3 different side panel sizes for 27 different combinations.

The HK on the other hand is not cheap.

If you have a budget you are trying to keep within then try all the guns in that price range.
Your target results will steer you in the right direction.

Edited to add: The HK VP-9 is very similar to the P30 but striker fired.

Last edited:

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
You guys are missing the point of this thread.

I'm interested in the companies, manufacturing locations, their policies and politics.

All of these guns have been reviewed to absolute death, all function flawlessly, all are pennies apart in price, all come down to user preference.

Last edited:

RES0574

Established Member
I prefer the SA XDS 3.3". I have big hands, so I had to get the extended magazines otherwise I did not like the way the pistol felt in my hand. I have a dozen SAs, most are 1911s, but I have the XDS and XDM in .45. I also have a couple of S&W in .45. Between the MP series and XD series, I prefer the XDs. I have not fired any other caliber besides .45. My XDS also has the CT LG-469 mounted.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Corbic, I've got to ask this question. If you found that the Smithfield Amory pistol felt better overall in your hand and shot better than the S&W, BUT the S&W had higher organizational/support ratings, which would you choose?

Last edited:

limitedex

Love me some SVT
Established Member
I love XD's. Own two 40cals. Made in Croatia.

I own two Smiths. USA. Conn. I believe.

No Glocks personally. Made in Austria, though one or two models has some USA manufacturing in Georgia.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
I have a Shield 9mm as my EDC and I also have an XDm 4.5". I love both guns and I prefer single stacks for carrying. S&W has outstanding customer support. If you have a problem of any kind, just email them and they will send you a part if need be no questions asked. I have about 500 rounds downrange in my shield and it has not had one hiccup whatsoever. I have also upgraded it with a Apex trigger and Truglo sights and it's even better.

scn

Established Member
S&W would, and is, my choice. The customer service is outstanding. I haven't had a single issue with my Shield but S&W really came through when my M&P-15 just wasn't up to my expectations.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Uh... I just saw the newer XD Mod 2. It's got the same rear sights as the XD-S.

I'm now really leaning toward that now. Feels so good in the hand.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Corbic, I've got to ask this question. If you found that the Smithfield Amory pistol felt better overall in your hand and shot better than the S&W, BUT the S&W had higher organizational/support ratings, which would you choose?

All depends on how close they shoot.
I like a lot of features of both and wish I could combine the two into the perfect pistol.

I was very disappointed in the Shields mag ejection and I'm skeptical of the "it will break in".

Shield is $100 less.

tj04cobra

Established Member
I can't speak for the shield but I love my xd mod.2. I have only put about 500 or so rounds thru it but so far I like it. I think the gun is ugly as hell and I don't like how it says grip zone on it but my hands are small and it fits great.

My new favorite tho is my gen 4 G19 that I couldn't pass up. Holds one less round but the barrel is the same size and the gun is a lot smaller. I've only put about 700 rounds thru it and I personally think I got my money's worth. I didn't know how big of a love hate following they had until I bought one.

Go with the mod.2 you'll enjoy it. 16+1 in 9mm and if you are into safety features the grip safety is great and has to be pressed before opening the slide. Easy to break down and low maintenance. The sights are decent and ambidextrous mag release is a plus. Great gun at great price in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread