?'s about joing the Military

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
I got an 89 on the test. They sent me to meps 2 weeks later. Then they put me in a hotel. I spent 11 hours in processing. I got the exact job I wanted. Aviation technician.

damn you got lucky! i came in through deck and hated it. made the best i could and winded up a Gunnersmate and love it. :banana:
been that rate ever since. whatever you do just keep your nose clean and you make the best you can out of it. shit, i made E-1 TO E-5 in 2.5 years w/ great advancements and evaluations, so it can be done. :rockon:

R1der

SVT Vet
Established Member
You don't just magically become a WO, I believe you have to be a SNCO to be considered for it.

As far as i know thats the Navy that You have to be a SNCO i think its 12 years right?
but in the Army we have this program called high school to flight school, I know 20 year old wo1's theres not many but ive met them

ofcourse there's a selection board but by far the Army has the easiest program to get into....and if you dont believe me that you dont have to be a SNCO here is the req

Minimum prerequisites:
Any MOS may apply.
Be at least 18, but not have reached their 33rd birthday at the convening of the selection board.
"Waivers will be considered for applicants with exceptional qualifications and only on a case by case basis"
Score 90 or higher on the Alternate Flight Aptitude Selection Test (AFAST).
Successfully pass a Class 1 (warrant officer candidate) Flying Duty Medical Examination (FDME) IAW AR 40-501 that has been approved by the Commander, U.S. Army Aeromedical Center.
It is recommended, but not required, that applicants have a letter of recommendation from an Army Aviator in the rank of CW3 to CW5 or Major and above. If the unit commander or above is a field grade aviator, the aviator interview may be part of the commander's endorsement. In this case, the commander's endorsement must contain the same statement required for the aviator interview. Use a memorandum format and start with the statement I have interviewed (your name) and find (he/she) has the needed personal characteristics, motivation, physical stamina, and qualifications to be appointed a U.S. Army Reserve warrant officer and appears acceptable for selection into the WOFT program as a warrant officer candidate. Applicants from other military services may be interviewed by a field grade aviator from their branch of service if an Army aviator is not readily available. Army aviators will conduct the interviews whenever possible.
Acceptance to Warrant Officer Flight Training (153A) will require attendance and successful completion of:
The U.S. Army Aviation Center Survival Escape Resistance and Evasion (SERE-C) course.
Helicopter Ditching and Dunker trainer.

have fun and goodluck

Last edited:

MustangSteveGT

Buck
Established Member
air force. by far, their quality of living far exceeds anything the rest of us could even dream of. i stress, air force. dont join some service just because you like the way their uniform looks or because you want to do some high speed hero shit. after you've been in long enough it becomes a job just like anything else. it's just that people in certain jobs have better hours and less bullshit. just like certain people in some branches of service have less bullshit as well.
you also want to get out with everything intact by the time it's all said and done. i dont care what people say, you cant rely on anyone or any VA or anything to take care of you. take care of yourself and join the air force and get a job that equivilates into something in the civilian world and allows you enough time to get a degree in the process.
dont join some trigger puller job where you're constantly deployed, live in crappy housing and never have time to complete college courses. let someone else do that.;-)
i've been in the navy since 03. i'm a hospital corpsman surgical tech. i've worked closely with many other services in my time overseas and deployed and i can tell you there is a notable difference between the living conditions of different services. the bullshit factor is like night and day.
someone of the exact same pay grade in another branch of service can be living WAY WAY better than you even though they have the same time in and get paid the same amount.
please just go air force and save yourself the trouble.

FEARED

Established Member
THE NAVY is acctually makes alot of cuts right now. Lots of overmanned rates..etc.

Im an Aviation Machinist's Mate 2nd Class (jet engine mechanic)

Ive been in for 5 years, and currently an E-5. Been on 4 deployments 2 to the gulf, 1 to gitmo, 1 for a rim pac.

You are not too old, but over weight standards. Im a PT cordinator for my command, and i believe the cut off for 5'10 is 190lbs, after that you will need to be "taped" or measures to find your body fat %.

From my opinion the AF is the easiest.. if you wanna go that route, but the NAVY is more exciting. (DEPENDING ON YOUR JOB OF COURSE)

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
air force. by far, their quality of living far exceeds anything the rest of us could even dream of. i stress, air force. dont join some service just because you like the way their uniform looks or because you want to do some high speed hero shit. after you've been in long enough it becomes a job just like anything else. it's just that people in certain jobs have better hours and less bullshit. just like certain people in some branches of service have less bullshit as well.
you also want to get out with everything intact by the time it's all said and done. i dont care what people say, you cant rely on anyone or any VA or anything to take care of you. take care of yourself and join the air force and get a job that equivilates into something in the civilian world and allows you enough time to get a degree in the process.
dont join some trigger puller job where you're constantly deployed, live in crappy housing and never have time to complete college courses. let someone else do that.;-)
i've been in the navy since 03. i'm a hospital corpsman surgical tech. i've worked closely with many other services in my time overseas and deployed and i can tell you there is a notable difference between the living conditions of different services. the bullshit factor is like night and day.
someone of the exact same pay grade in another branch of service can be living WAY WAY better than you even though they have the same time in and get paid the same amount.
please just go air force and save yourself the trouble.
amen brother
i have a lot of buddies that GTFO once their 5 year contract is done, 5 years is 1 too many imo for a job i heard is the hardest occupation/title to pick up in (corpsmen).
as i stated before AIR FORCE, all the fancy stuff is BS anyways, unless you see yourself doing the same shit for the next 20 years retire and hang out at the VFW. :bored:

Tuyo

Whitexican Extraordinaire
Established Member
AF 3P0X1 here. Air Force is great for older enlistees. I joined at 23 and there are mind games but nothing like what I heard from my friends in the Army and Marines. Don't worry about the weight...it will come off.

Here's the AF PT Test.

Basically 1.5 mile run- 50 points
waist circumference- 30 points
push ups one minute- 10 points
sit ups one minute- 10 points

Fitness Assessment

The Air Force uses an overall composite fitness score and minimum scores per component based on aerobic fitness, body composition and muscular fitness components to determine an overall fitness. The assessment components are comprised of:

Body composition evaluated by abdominal circumference measurements

Aerobic component evaluated by the 1.5-mile timed run

Muscular fitness component evaluated by the number of pushups and sit-ups completed within one minute
Members not medically cleared to complete the 1.5-mile run will be assessed through an alternative aerobic test consisting of a 1.0-mile walk as determined by the exercise physiologist/fitness program manager unless otherwise exempted.

All components of the fitness assessment must be completed within a three-hour window on the same day.

The body composition assessment, to include height, weight and abdominal circumference measurements, is performed by fitness assessment cell staff and must be the first component assessed. The abdominal circumference is used to obtain the body composition component score instead of the Body Mass Index, or BMI. Height and weight are not factored into the composite score.

The muscular fitness components, including pushups and sit-ups, may be accomplished before or after the 1.5-mile run (or 1-mile walk test for eligible members). There is a minimum three-minute rest period between components.

Fitness assessments will be completed by fitness assessment cell staff. Where no fitness assessment cell exists, assessments will be conducted by a certified unit fitness program manager or physical training leader

LongshotSVT

I piss excellence
Established Member
I've been an Infantry Marine for going on 6 years now and it's been the best decision I've ever made. Before I came in I couldn't hold a steady job, I was a college drop out, and was more concerned with getting balls deep in something than even thinking about a future. This was all at the age of 22. I bounced around with various jobs for a long time before it became clear to me that I was in need of some structure and discipline in my life before I got left behind by all my peers. The Marines seemed like the best choice for that.

My original contract was for the Air Wing, I scored extremely high on the asvab as I am a very smart guy, just didn't have a lot of sense. After watching some moto vids and talking to some people though, I called my recruiter before I shipped and decided to go for broke "I want infantry". I got my contract switched, thankfully.

Going off what you've said, let me clarify a few things for you. There is nothing glorious about combat. You have this built of vision of glory and standing up for a greater good in your head, but when you're there only one thing matters, that Marine to your left and right. There's no stronger fraternity, but in the infantry, you're going to lose your brothers. I've personally lost 4 very very close friends in my tenure and that's getting off fairly easy. Depending on the conflict and where you are, it's going to happen. I never want to endure what I've endured again and wouldn't wish it upon anyone, however I understand it's a necessity in the world we live in and it's our job.

If you want to join the Marines, I suggest you join the combat forces in some way, be it in armor, artillery, or the infantry. Anything else and you'll always wonder about what the other guys are doing. You won't leave the wire, and you'll be left wondering if you could have done more. Marines in the infantry and combat forces will view you as less of a Marine. We feel there's a very big difference between us and others, it's just the way it is. If you're going to do it, go all out.

Finally, if you want to learn a new career or job skill, don't choose this service. You'll gain one very strong statement to make on your resume, that you were a US Marine, but that's probably where it will run out if you want any sort of career credibility. Some Comm, and wing MOSs have some outside opportunity, but they are the few that do aside from just having the discipline that comes with being a part of the Marines. But you know my thoughts on those other MOSs when joining this branch. I don't think of this service as a career move, I think of it as just answering a calling of sorts.

If you want to work in the wing or learn a new trade and potentially start a new career, the Navy and Air Force probably have more to offer. Good luck in your decision.

Oh, and remember you always have the recruiter by the balls, don't let him tell you otherwise. If you're a high school graduate without a history of medical issues he will take you and give you any job you're qualified for, just sometimes you have to wait longer for it for them to have a spot to fill. Don't let him tell you otherwise, it happens all too often. Feel free to PM me with any specific questions, I'd be happy to help a fellow SVTP'er out.

LongshotSVT

I piss excellence
Established Member
oh, and in regards to your weight... the Marine corps has different standards that are required for recruits. I'd say you'll likely meet that standard at your height and weight, might have to lose 10 lbs or so. Just know that when you go to boot camp, they're going to burn every last little bit off of you. Most heavier recruits will lose 30-40 lbs in just four months. When I went in I was 6' and 215lbs... I left boot camp three months later at 170lbs. Now I sit at about 180, but I'm the same body fat percentage as when I graduated boot. You'll stay in shape, just don't become a turd.

In regards to being older, you'll be fine. There's always recruits in every platoon who are 25+, especially during the winter months when there aren't a bunch of high school kids shipping. You're going to get angry at times due to your age and experiences and being limited for no fault of your own, but you'll get past it and likely move up way faster than your peers due to your own personal responsibility and maturity. I went in at 22 and I wanted to be fixed.... I moved up very very fast, far ahead of my peers Don't let that discourage you. The smoking thing will be fixed at boot camp too, it's up to you to stay off the cigs once you've made it for three months though. I started right up again after boot and still smoke a pack a day, but I also smoke the majority of marines on the three mile PFT run. I personally believe that it has very little to do with it, just takes some personal strength and will power. It's no picnic.

yosemiddysam

03 Cobra Vert 10th Anniv.
Established Member
Crestview Fl. Grew up in the good ole Dub V
Longshot.....I agree with you to a sense that there is a difference between us Air Wingers and you ground pounders but dont you ever forget who is dropping those bombs, hitting hideouts, and watching IED's getting set and blowing them and the ones doing it to hell. You need a serious wake up to think that we are lesser a Marine than you. I have lost more friends than you have mentioned and all gave thier life for the same purpose. To support and defend!!!!!!!!

only a gt

Established Member
If you want to join the Marines, I suggest you join the combat forces in some way, be it in armor, artillery, or the infantry. Anything else and you'll always wonder about what the other guys are doing. You won't leave the wire, and you'll be left wondering if you could have done more. Marines in the infantry and combat forces will view you as less of a Marine. We feel there's a very big difference between us and others, it's just the way it is. If you're going to do it, go all out.

This is not entirely true. I'm a Motor-T Marine, stuck with the wing unfortunately. However, the last time we went to Iraq we pulled base security and spent almost every day patrolling outside the wire. We are gearing up to go to Afghanistan in a few months, and as of right now I am supposed to be a gunner in the Incident Response Platoon.

I'm not saying this is the norm, but just know if you join the Marines there's a possibility you could end up doing and going places that have nothing to do with your MOS and you will be expected to adapt and deal with it.

NVRENUF

Established Member
I was waiting for the POG's to get pissed hahaha. In all seriousness it is what you want to get out of it. Every service basically has the same job they just call them different things. If your hung up on being a badass door kicker each service has those too. I hope you don't get hung up on this grunt shit either there is no Job more important than the next, we all have to do our part for the machine to work...we are all equally important

LongshotSVT

I piss excellence
Established Member
Longshot.....I agree with you to a sense that there is a difference between us Air Wingers and you ground pounders but dont you ever forget who is dropping those bombs, hitting hideouts, and watching IED's getting set and blowing them and the ones doing it to hell. You need a serious wake up to think that we are lesser a Marine than you. I have lost more friends than you have mentioned and all gave thier life for the same purpose. To support and defend!!!!!!!!

Believe me, I've called for my fair share of close air support. Let's not turn this into a debate, we all have a gear to turn in the great American War Machine. However, just for kicks, you realize every other MOS's job is support the infantry, correct? :beer:

Just had to stir your pot a bit...

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
Believe me, I've called for my fair share of close air support. Let's not turn this into a debate, we all have a gear to turn in the great American War Machine. However, just for kicks, you realize every other MOS's job is support the infantry, correct? :beer:

+1 for stirring the pot...don't glorify what you do in service to the Country to do service to your ego. :beer:

Marc

Established Member
I have mad respect for all the services. But, being in the AF for 25 years (and still going strong)...I have worked with all the services many times. I have came across more Army folks that I can remember that said if they could do it all over, they would definitely go AF. We have a Army detachment on the base I am at now and they can't believe how good we have it here.

99NJCobra

Established Member
Remember, there are only two jobs in the military...Infantry and Infantry Support. Haha, sorry had to throw that in.
Anyway, Before taking the ASVAB, at least go in with a goal in mind. Take a look at the jobs available and make sure you understand what each one is. Pick the ones that interest you and then go from there. By having a goal to meet, you're going to pay attention and work a little harder than if you were to just go in with the "alright, let's see what I can do" mind set.
Though I could've had any job I wanted (95 on ASVAB), I chose Airborne Infantry. We get to do things, see things, and use things most of the other MOS's never will. Not to mention we're paid to jump out of damn near anything that flies, that alone is an amazing experience. Remember though, each branch has it's own set of high speed units that get to do crazy things (if that's what you're into), not just the Army and Marines. However, if you're not into that stuff, Air Force all the way. I've seen how they live back in Garrison...they got it made!

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member

Burn! lol, man thats pretty much true, there were times as a Combat Engineer on route clearance patrols where some of the Infantry elements wouldnt go out until we cleared certain ASR's and MSR's while i was up North in Mosul. We get our fair share of combat, we dish it out as much as the Infantry does as well with less people per PLT. The only difference is we dont get the credit for it :beer::lol1:

F1reStart3r

Flubolaids
Established Member
This is not entirely true. I'm a Motor-T Marine, stuck with the wing unfortunately. However, the last time we went to Iraq we pulled base security and spent almost every day patrolling outside the wire. We are gearing up to go to Afghanistan in a few months, and as of right now I am supposed to be a gunner in the Incident Response Platoon.

I'm not saying this is the norm, but just know if you join the Marines there's a possibility you could end up doing and going places that have nothing to do with your MOS and you will be expected to adapt and deal with it.

That's because EVERY Marines basic MOS is 9999......... Right now I believe we are at 135% for infantry and that still isn't enough.

Every MOS supports the infantry because it was the first MOS. Everything else was generated around it. Just as the Marines were founded to initially support close quarters naval combat, other Marine MOS-s evolved around the infantry's need.

Is it the best MOS, I would laugh at anyone who claimed any MOS was the best MOS. The military is what you make of it, period.

Last edited:

nofire

Sooner#65
Established Member
It is people like you that make me glad that I am a Marine!!!!!!!!!!! Next time capitalize it!!!!!!

THANK YOU. That always pisses me off....:beer:

OP, You're not too old, and you're not too fat. As long as it's truly what you want to do, go for it! You know you'll have to lose weight and get in shape, so start working on it. And give all the branches a look before you jump into one. I will say this, The Air Force is the easiest and the Marine Corps is the hardest. The only reason to join the Marines is to be a Marine. Any other reason and you won't be happy there. Whatever you decide, good luck man!:rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread