RXT grief

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I bought a McLoed RXT twin disc for the 11+ GT500. The pilot shaft tool sent had the wrong pilot shaft bushing diameter, so I've spent countless hours bringing it to the right dimension with emery cloth. The bolts included were the wrong size as well. Luckily I had ordered some ARP bolts. The box has the right part number, but that same part number fits some mopars. I'm sure I got the wrong bag of parts. Strike one.

But here's the real problem. The instructions say to not disassemble the clutch, but I have mounted this clutch in all six positions on the dowels and the spline tool will not go into the pilot shaft bushing in any position. The discs are obviously out of alignment to allow the pilot shaft to go into the pilot shaft bushing. I rented a hoist to put my engine in the car this weekend so I'm dead in the water with this damn clutch. Anyone with any experience on this issue? I guess I'll have to wait until Monday to call them and find out what to do. So far, I'm not impressed with the RXT. :mj:

Last edited:

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
Where did you buy it? Could it be the vendor mounting the clutch to the flywheel in correctly?

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Lethal Performance. I'm pretty sure it comes assembled from McLeod this way. The assembly is mounted to a steel plate that bolts to the OEM flywheel.

BROK3N-SVT

Established Member
Madrussian and I did the same clutch in his car and he ordered it from the same place. We had the same problems your having. We put it all together only to find out it the tranny wouldn't go into the second disk. Then the tool didn't fit.

We took everything back off and turned the tool on a grinder till it fit in the pilot bearing. Then we bolted it up and loosened the clutch from the adapter plate. Used the alignment tool and tighened it back down.

We also were afraid of unbolting the clutch from the adapter plate but I think that warning is just for the goofballs who would try and switch bolts around and stuff. You will be all good

Get the tool to fit, then bolt up the adapter plate, then loosen the bolts, align it and tighen back Down. Work your way back and forths so you tighten it down even like lug nuts.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I took a little different approach. I worked for a part house back in college almost 40 years ago. The manager from back then still works there and lucky for me was working this afternoon. I used their press to engage the clutch and move the discs to where they appeared to be centered with the tool in place. I took it off eyeballed it and it looked good. I brought it home, bolted it up and spline tool slide into place. The trans is now installed. I came in to find the torque specs on the transmission bolts.

I appreciate the reply. I was real reluctant to back out the nuts on the adapter plate thinking they was under pressure.

That's going to do it for me today. The wind chill is 29. Should be a little warmer tomorrow.

DaFreak

Established Member
hmmm, so the RXT doesn't actually fit 2010+ MYs? Sounds like a 07-09 shoehorn.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Sounds like you got miss match parts. I got mine from jcp and never had and issue on my 08 gt500

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
hmmm, so the RXT doesn't actually fit 2010+ MYs? Sounds like a 07-09 shoehorn.
It fits, but the bolts size for the OEM pressure plate are 8mm. They provide you with ARP 10mm bolts. Luckily I had new ARP 8mm bolts. I don't even think the holes in the adapter plate are big enough for 10mm bolts. The dowels in the flywheel match up with the clutch perfectly, albeit a bit snug. The pilot shaft diameter on the tool supplied is .75", while our pilot bushing is .67". I know they make the right tool because it's listed in the catalog. The other issue was not properly lining the twin discs for a trouble free installation. That's a quality control issue. McLeod either needs to use different part numbers for the clutch or put both sets of tools and bolts in the box.

The pilot shaft tool should only be there for a go, no-go on the install because the unit is modular. If you're going to provide instructions that tell your customers not to disassemble the unit and then not have the twin discs lined up for a trouble free installation, there's going to be some frustration on the customers part. Most DIY's are going to be doing this on a weekend when the office is closed.

Make no mistake, this is a nice looking piece. I can see why you don't need a flywheel with this unit.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
If your using your stock flywheel that maybe the issue. I believe all there kits are setup to use with there flywheels with there clutches for the GT500S

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
From Lethal's website (emphasis added):

Mcleod 2010-2014 GT500 Sprung Hub RXT Street Twin Disc Clutch Kit (Clutch Only)

Intended for the high horsepower street fan, the RXT Street Twin clutch kit is an economically priced twin disc clutch that does not include a flywheel (re-use your existing one). Able to handle 1000HP, this clutch kit can handle almost any horse-power you can throw at it and still remain street friendly. Metallic lined clutch discs will provide smooth engagement with a soft pedal effort to make this clutch kit ideal for the street performance enthusiast.

Product Features:
  • Handles up to 1000HP
  • Sprung Hub Discs
  • Supplied with alignment tool
  • Lighter than stock pedal feel
  • Bolts to stock factory flat flywheels
  • Easy Installation
  • Metallic facing for smooth & even engagement
  • Smooth engagement with excellent release qualities
  • Low Rotating Mass (moment of inertia) for quick revs
  • Includes CNC machined and anodized flywheel adapter ring
  • Blanchard ground floater with multiple straps to reduce noise for street ability
NOTE: This clutch assembly works with the stock slave cylinder on all 2010-2014 GT500s.

NOTE: When used on a GT500 you must run this clutch with the stock 2010-2014 flywheel. This will not work with any aftermarket flywheels.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member

Intended for the high horsepower street fan, the RXT Street Twin clutch kit is an economically priced twin disc clutch that does not include a flywheel (re-use your existing one). Able to handle 1000HP, this clutch kit can handle almost any horse-power you can throw at it and still remain street friendly. Metallic lined clutch discs will provide smooth engagement with a soft pedal effort to make this clutch kit ideal for the street performance enthusiast.

Product Features:
  • Handles up to 1000HP
  • Sprung Hub Discs
  • Easy Installation
  • Blanchard ground floater with multiple straps to reduce noise for street ability
NOTE: This clutch assembly works with the stock slave cylinder on all 2010-2014 GT500s.

NOTE: When used on a GT500 you must run this clutch with the stock 2010-2014 flywheel. This will not work with any aftermarket flywheels.

Good to know. Thanks for posting the direct info. Did you call lethal about this issue? Maybe they can correct this for future orders and maybe give you some credit for future stuff for your issues.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I bought it when they were having their 20% sale. It's installed and took little bit more effort than it should have, but I'm moving on to my next problem. The hoist I rented must be low on hydraulic fluid. I can't lift the engine and transmission more than 2'.

wingsnut

Established Member

Product Features:
  • Handles up to 1000HP
  • Sprung Hub Discs
  • Easy Installation

After spending a bunch of cash on 2 SPEC units that didn't work out I thought about re-using my stock flywheel to save a little when I installed the RXT. Glad I didn't as a friend of mine did this and his stock flywheel turned out to be warped. Clutch chattered bad. We swapped out the flywheel and now it is butter smooth. Hope you don't encounter this same issue.
Chip

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I had no issues with the old clutch. I'm just upgrading as part of this build. OEM flywheel only has 4,000 miles on it.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
A brand new OEM flywheel can be had for about $175. So even if you had to buy a new one to go with it, it's not a huge expense.

Nsssane1

Established Member
I plan to order mine tomorrow but I'm getting it with the flywheel. The plan is 07-09 slave, new pilot bearing, clutch line upgrade, hope that's it. I have a 2010, I read on another post about some type of shim possibly? Did you get yours in yet.

Oh now I see you got the 2010 up clutch. I'm going with the other one, maybe no hiccups with this one. I hope.

Last edited:

KingCobra07

Traction is a virtue
Established Member
I ended up using a GM 26 spline clutch alignment tool. fit into the pilot and discs perfect. you should be able to unbolt the pressure plate to align everything, then torque it all back down to 35 ft lbs

Users who are viewing this thread