RV - buying one for the MIL and need advice

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
We owned a 42' Monaco. Had it for several years and every time we took it out something broke. Sold it for 80k less than we paid for it, not counting upkeep, insurance, etc. Could have stayed in some pretty nice places for all the money we spent on that thing. Now today with fuel being over 3.50 a gallon how long do you have to stay in one place to offset a hotel bill.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I still love my RV, but I hate hotels and flying. Add to that, I have to haul a 70 pound dog around with me and I hate dog hotels more than a regular hotel. We typically travel for 2 weeks - a month at a time.

Also, the last trip (to Bowling Green) we burned $600 in fuel. That's something to keep in mind.

Love ours too. Couldn't live without one. We use it every year 8-10x per year. If you want to do a cost analysis on one (lmao) then sure, they are money pits (most toys are).

However, If you are halfway handy, you'll be fine. Whenever they break, the fix is easy.

Trust me you arent working on, say, a 2021 F350 with a powerstroke when they break. They are easy to fix.

Get outside and go camping!!!

Users who are viewing this thread