Rusty rear rotors

itpphoto

Established Member
I'm going to do something about those rusty rear rotors, I'm not sure what, but I just ordered my chrome wheels and I refuse to put them on the rusty rotors. I have have some caliper paint ... I will buy new ones if needed, can they be coated like the fronts ??? Any other ideas ?

dun4791

Established Member
Frank,

How are ya?--Talked ya into chromies?? You will love em. My rotors are grey in the front and black in the back, without much noticeable rust, just the 2 strips where the pads dont grab the face of the rotor. But high temp paint should work fine, Ive done it before never had a problem.

Actually I didnt really notice till you posted this, well something else to put on my list for this winter while on stands. Oh and get that paint off of those rims before they mount em so you can get the stick ons in the center inside of the rims.

Later, Lyle

OneSVTFan

Established Member
Guys, I mounted the chrome wheels (and yes, I took solvent and cleaned all the paint off of the inside) and I painted both the front and back calipers and rotors with black rustolem, so far it is still there and looks great. I just could not mount those chrome wheels with all of that rust showing.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
3 week old thread, but painting the rotors sounds like a good idea. The rust on my rotors is bothering me. Anyone have advice on the best paint to use on the rotors? Can you put tape on the part of the rotor that is touched by the pad to mask it? Or will the tape contaminate it? :??:

03blackvert

Established Member
I also noticed the rear rotors have a lot of visable rust, compared to the fronts. Any good ways to fix this would be appreciated.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by itpphoto
I bought this;
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/g2/caliper_paint.jsp

I ordered on thursday and got it on friday. I'm going to try it on both the caliper and rotors. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Nice kit! I have rust myself so it looks like I'll have to spring for this kit. Thanks for the link!

Farmer-Ted

I pooped a little.
Established Member
I used low gloss black engine paint. Works great. $4 instread of $38!

itpphoto

Established Member
I have found that the engine paint can't take the high heat on the rotors or brake drums. Has it worked ok (for the long run) for you?
thanks

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Try BBQ paint. Goes on great out of a spray can, and is very heat resistant. Most parts stores have it.

NightEnforcer

Established Member
I use the 1200 degree semi gloss exhaust paint. Works great. Steel wool the rust area, wash offf with a solvent, dry and paint with a brush. I spray the paint into a large plastic cup (away from cars or anything you do not want oversparay on) so that I can use a brush.

Holds up so far to the heat.

03 Red Cobra

Established Member
I painted the front and rear calipers with VHT Brake and Caliper Paint. One can for $6.72 did all 4 calipers. Looks great in gloss black.

Farmer-Ted

I pooped a little.
Established Member
Originally posted by itpphoto
I have found that the engine paint can't take the high heat on the rotors or brake drums. Has it worked ok (for the long run) for you?
thanks
I've used it many times on many different cars and never had any problems with it. Works great!

davidmax

Established Member
I have a German product people use for shw or hardcore racing called,Foliatech.It goes on EZ and after 7+ years of selling it we get alot oof raves.Its about 45-50.00 for a kit that will do all 4 calipers.Its a highly durable space age polymer 2 part epoxy.
People were buying Z06 calipers red and we would cure the problem cheap and forever,with Foliatech I highly reomend it.Comes in many colors,Silver,Red,Yellow and 2-4 others.For info send an e-mail,Dave S.

Users who are viewing this thread