Rust in Methanol Lines

lshin037

Established Member
Has anyone with a water meth system seen rust form in their lines? I have stainless steel lines and rust is forming on the AN connections. This rust eventually clogged up the nozzle. I thought stainless steel is corrosion resistant.

Gruca

Established Member
Maybe the line itself is stainless but the connector is not? I'm just guessing here though.

lshin037

Established Member
Maybe the line itself is stainless but the connector is not? I'm just guessing here though.

That crossed my mind. But I got them from Devils Own. Its a $200 upgrade for the stainless steel lines. I figured they're made to withstand corrosion from water and methanol.

lshin037

Established Member
There's likely either some carbon steel in your system or the stainless is an inferior grade.

Thanks. Not sure about carbon steel but I bought everything from them except for the float switch but that's all plastic. I hope it's not inferior grade stainless. They're systems look well made and seen nothing but great reviews. That's why Im so confused.

debit_free_2010

Established Member
"rust is forming on the AN connections"

Post up a pic if possible, like the other guys said, if the connections are zinc plated steel, they will rust.

lshin037

Established Member
631459b7592401f7d8056a8d48504961.jpg

It’s forming there and inside all the way up to where the plastic tubing begins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lshin037

Established Member
Talked to their tech support rep. I informed him earlier that I used distilled water that I made myself with a tabletop water distiller since I don't trust the store brand stuff. He recommended using off the shelf distilled water. I told him it shouldnt matter if its store bought distilled, homemade distilled, or even tap water and that it shouldn't rust like that if it's truly staintless steel and specially made for methanol. He said the shielding is SS but the flare part is aluminum and that he'd find out from his supplier if they've had other complaints or maybe they had a bad batch of these. If the supplier fesses up, he said I'd have to send in my old lines and they'd send new ones. I highly doubt they'd fess up to something like that. After the call, I emailed him back asking if they would send new lines first and I'd send the old ones afterwards since it was my daily driver and didn't want downtime but didn't get a reply back. I don't know...thought maybe im asking for too much. I decided not to go any further and ordered some NX AN lines from Summit. They've been pretty good and I'm sure they'd take them back if it rusts like that.

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
I have an AIS trunk mount kit that I run 100% VP M1/M5 methanol and i've never seen rust in the lines. It has siezed up a check valve before and I believe thats from running 100% meth.

Keep in mind that pulling the nozzles and cleaning the screens should go hand in hand with oil changes.

lshin037

Established Member
I have an AIS trunk mount kit that I run 100% VP M1/M5 methanol and i've never seen rust in the lines. It has siezed up a check valve before and I believe thats from running 100% meth.

Keep in mind that pulling the nozzles and cleaning the screens should go hand in hand with oil changes.

No issues running M5? I read that it has additives and it shouldn’t be used in a meth injection system. Actually it’s on their website. I almost went for it for the better vaporization.

I check the nozzle/operation every 3 to 4 months. I usually don’t pay attention to the lines but this time the nozzle wouldn’t mist (straight stream) and had rust coming out of it. That’s what led to the above discovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread