Running JLT RAI without heat shield?

T.O.Snake

Established Member
Just cleaned my filter the other day, and realized again how "meh" the plastic heat shield is that comes with the kit. Also, it's a bit of a PITA to take off when cleaning, so I was wondering if it was a big deal to simply not use it? I can't really see how it protects the unit from engine heat, as it's pretty well wide-open around the sides.

Anyways, thoughts? Sorry in advance if it's a dumb question :-D

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I don't know I've seen some people not running a cover. Luckily the previous owner gave me a steeda cai when I bought the car. I used the steeda cover and scrapped the plastic shield.
002-9.jpg

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
i wasnt running mine until i went to Herman (HBH) and had the car tuned. He told me to be sure i put it on when i got home that it definately helps so now i use it. waiting for JLTs new cf one now

TVSCobra

Established Member
Last edited:

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
No heat shield here with my JLT RAI kit. Just pull the headlight out at the track.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
These cars have so much low end, most people are not going to notice the difference.
If you live in a big city with heavy traffic, off idle laziness will show up after sitting at a light for three turns of the light(common here) before you get rolling again.

That is where and when it WILL become apparent, if it's hot out and if you are sitting long enough.

Mines breathing fender air though a 12 incher. Obviously getting stuck in Houston traffic qualifies for those symptoms to materialize. The air under the hood has got to be somewhere near 200 or more because the engine coolant is pretty close to that.

To me the under hood ram air deal was never an option.

03Cobrra

Stroked,Screwed & Sprayed
Established Member
I use the shield in the summer but in the winter I take it off. Dont know if it really makes a difference or not.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
I threw the heat shield to the side...saw no need for it. Car is rarely driven though, so I never notice a difference.

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
If you live in a big city with heavy traffic, off idle laziness will show up after sitting at a light for three turns of the light(common here) before you get rolling again.

That is where and when it WILL become apparent, if it's hot out and if you are sitting long enough.

I've never noticed a difference while maneuvering through Chicago traffic.
Never seen a difference when data logging either.

Users who are viewing this thread