Running incredibly rich, wont stay running, scanner info inside!

ninety5fiveoh

DHG FTW!
Established Member
I posted a thread a few weeks ago with some issues I was having with my first startup, but since then I have narrowed down the issue a bit and the issue has seemed to change direction.

Long story short, a mustang friend that owns a repair shop came over with his scanner today to pull data on the car. The car is commanding 99% short term fuel trim with key on, which is obviously insanely high. It is also showing 74% load with key on...when I try firing it and it starts to click off, it goes to 18-20%, then to 80% when it dies almost immediately, then back to 74%. It is also showing TPS at 17% with key on, no throttle actuation.

I put a gauge on the shrader valve, and it shows 20-25psi higher than the pressure on the gauge on my Fore regulator on the drivers side rail. We turned the fuel pressure down to it read 35-38 psi on the shrader valve gauge, and it was still pig rich. The car is DUMPING fuel smoke out of the tailpipes. We checked spark as well and it is fine.

The fuel system is a Fore Level 1 return system:
Walbro 255's
Fore regulator on the driver side rail
Siemens Deka 80's
FC2 controller
-8 return

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

cj428mach

Established Member
Remove the vacuum line off the regulator or trigger your fuel pumps to run with the car off and set the pressure to whatever its set at in your tune which is probably 39psi, then reconnect line.

Make sure your TPS voltage is set to under 1 volt....it supposedly isn't important on these cars as it was on older ones but I say do it just to be safe.

A STFT of .99 means the car is 1% lean so nothing drastic. A reading of 1.0 is perfect and the maxes are .75 and 1.25 unless it was changed in the tune which no one ever does.

If the car is barely idling load could be artificially high but 80 does sound extremely high, I can't comment fully as I've never checked load on a car sputtering.

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

The way you have the fuel system wired, just put key on engine off and set the pressure to 39psi. Vac line can stay on regulator.

As stated above, make sure your tps is set to like .98volts.

If I have a few minutes in the morning I will hit you up.

ninety5fiveoh

DHG FTW!
Established Member
Remove the vacuum line off the regulator or trigger your fuel pumps to run with the car off and set the pressure to whatever its set at in your tune which is probably 39psi, then reconnect line.

Make sure your TPS voltage is set to under 1 volt....it supposedly isn't important on these cars as it was on older ones but I say do it just to be safe.

A STFT of .99 means the car is 1% lean so nothing drastic. A reading of 1.0 is perfect and the maxes are .75 and 1.25 unless it was changed in the tune which no one ever does.

If the car is barely idling load could be artificially high but 80 does sound extremely high, I can't comment fully as I've never checked load on a car sputtering.

Thanks for the info. I do indeed have the pumps wired so they are triggered on at key-on and stay on and I set base pressure to 38psi.

I had a slight misconception of what 99% STFT meant. I spoke with Jason (TRBO VNM) last night and he informed me that reading has to do with the B1S1 o2 sensor, and not 99% of fuel being commanded. That is my n00b mistake; I am trying my best to learn as much about tuning as I can.

That 74% isn't even barely idling load, that is literally with the car off and the key on. TPS voltage is .88; I will set it to .98 just to get it in spec, but I can't imagine that is causing the issue.

The way you have the fuel system wired, just put key on engine off and set the pressure to 39psi. Vac line can stay on regulator.

As stated above, make sure your tps is set to like .98volts.

If I have a few minutes in the morning I will hit you up.

Thanks again for all your help! Hopefully you'll have a file that will work!

TRBO VNM

Yeah, that TPS isn't causing it, but it does need to be set correctly.

Sorry about this morning. I woke up and we had to leave sooner than expected for the airport and I didn't grab my tuning laptop. We will see what happens come monday/tuesday if you are still in the same situation.

ninety5fiveoh

DHG FTW!
Established Member
Yeah, that TPS isn't causing it, but it does need to be set correctly.

Sorry about this morning. I woke up and we had to leave sooner than expected for the airport and I didn't grab my tuning laptop. We will see what happens come monday/tuesday if you are still in the same situation.

No problem man, family is always first! I'll let you know if I make any progress this weekend.

cj428mach

Established Member
No problem man, family is always first! I'll let you know if I make any progress this weekend.

I can try to check load with the key off on my car this weekend and post. Is the tune new? if so maybe the scaling was screwed up thus giving you an extremely high load. High load means lots of fuel.

ninety5fiveoh

DHG FTW!
Established Member
I can try to check load with the key off on my car this weekend and post. Is the tune new? if so maybe the scaling was screwed up thus giving you an extremely high load. High load means lots of fuel.

That would be cool, I would really appreciate that. Fwiw, my buddy who brought the scanner over did his car too, and load was at like 8-10% key on and 18% at idle. There has to be something funky with the tune.

psycholx

ALWAYS STANG, SOMETIMES L
Established Member
Did this ever get resolved? I am having the same issue with my son's terminator. We replaced the CCRM due to the coolant fan would not turn off, then once that was fixed, the alternator went out. Replaced the alternator and now it runs pig rich at idle. Garage smell likes gas, car wont idle at all. If I disconnect a few injectors, it will barley idle. I checked all coils, they are firing, its like the injectors are just dumping fuel and the engine cant burn it all. I am stumped. Any help is appreciated.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Did this ever get resolved? I am having the same issue with my son's terminator. We replaced the CCRM due to the coolant fan would not turn off, then once that was fixed, the alternator went out. Replaced the alternator and now it runs pig rich at idle. Garage smell likes gas, car wont idle at all. If I disconnect a few injectors, it will barley idle. I checked all coils, they are firing, its like the injectors are just dumping fuel and the engine cant burn it all. I am stumped. Any help is appreciated.

Yours may just need to ne driven to have pcm complete a drivecycle..

car will run strange if pcm was reset and not driven..

it needs to relearn fuel trims

ninety5fiveoh

DHG FTW!
Established Member

Yours may just need to ne driven to have pcm complete a drivecycle..

car will run strange if pcm was reset and not driven..

it needs to relearn fuel trims

Resetting the computer and making sure you have a good ground hopefully should fix that issue. As hotcobra said, the PCM needs to relearn the tune. Could also be a bad FRPS if its dumping that much fuel.

As for my issue, yes I got it resolved. It was a tuning issue that I resolved by trying a different startup tune from TRBO VNM. HUGE thanks to him, car fired on the second crank. Now I just need to adjust the fuel pressure down a few psi and burp the cooling system and it's ready for the rollers!

psycholx

ALWAYS STANG, SOMETIMES L
Established Member
Car is still doing it. I have changed O2 sensors, FRPS, and it is still doing the same. I can't confirm but I believe the car was tuned but the seller never told me whether it was. Could a corrupt tune be a result of constantly removing the battery and CCRM? My next step is to have the CPU reflashed? Will I need to take it to ford? It wouldn't even start yesterday, just shuddered and tried to fire a few times. Help needed..

Users who are viewing this thread