Running extremely rich (I searched)

WyoTechMSA

Rampage Skeet Hen
Established Member
So my car has been running rich for the past 2 weeks, code p1152 I believe. Something about upstream o2 reads rich or lack of switching, cant really remember at the moment. But anyhow, both front o2s are relatively new, and last week I installed new copper plugs gapped at .54 and the car got new wires after xmas. Friday I put a new MAF on it and disconnected the battery for a while and reconnected it and drove the car for about 20 minutes, mostly highway, a few turnarounds. All seemed well but on my way back to work after letting the car cool back down, it started running pig rich again.

I put a Focus pump in it last summer but it ran fine with this pump in it up until I quit driving it in October. I checked the FPR and have no vacuum leaks to speak of. What should I look at next? I'm really hoping its not a cracked head or something leaking compression causing it to run poorly. The car runs like a champ when on the gas, especially past half throttle, but when coasting or idling you can just hear it drowning in fuel, and the stinch is awful. I even have converters on it and it reeks of gas. Should I try another o2 up front to see if its that simple or does it sound like something else?

Car is a mostly stock 98 btw, timing is bumped slightly via a Sniper tune, has a pypes catted x and magnaflow exhaust, with a K&N filter on the stock intake elbow. Help me out before I decide to park it and tear it down for a carbed C head swap.

Last edited:

WyoTechMSA

Rampage Skeet Hen
Established Member
Could a tune go bad or something? The tune has been on the car for 2 years without a problem. Or are you thinking maybe the bigger fuel pump has something to do with it? I would think the bigger pump would make no difference as long as the regulator is working (which it is)

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
How do you know the regulator is working? Do you have a fuel pressure gauge?

Id remove the tune to start

nestmendoza98

Established Member
Do you have a misfire? If you do an injector could be stuck open. Cats could be bad. Mine runs rich and smells like gas and throws same code because the previous owner cut the cats off...... Runs fine at idle kinda choppy but on the gas it runs great.

WyoTechMSA

Rampage Skeet Hen
Established Member
No misfire codes, all coils are firing, pressure regulator works for sure, I have a fuel pressure gauge. But something interesting to note, before I drove out to the guy with the Sniper stuff I noticed that the car ran considerably worse the lower it got on gas! I got into the lower quarter tank part of the gauge and it would hardly run at all, stopped and filled it up, but did not clear codes, and it ran like a champ the few hundred yards back to my house ???

WyoTechMSA

Rampage Skeet Hen
Established Member
Never removed the tune from the car. Hooked it up to see that bank 1 sensor 1 was reading 0 volts, and indicating lean (sensor is dead), and bank 1 sensor 2 indicated lean. Hmmm, my rear o2s are turned off in the Sniper tune. Replaced drivers front o2 sensor and right now all seems well. Need to drive it more but so far so good :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread