Running e85...

clc44

Established Member
I have just a couple bolt ons. I have several e85 stations by me. Would it be very beneficial to run e85 not having it everywhere? I fill at the same two stations. Could switch cars with my wife for long trips where it may not be available. Also, what all would I need to make change other than tune.?

Thanks!!!

el jefe 302

Making all kinds of gainz
Established Member
Switch cars? Just switch the tune while filling up, that's what I do.

Beneficial? Well more timing, higher octane and a nice smell without cats :)

Timing is everything on a N/A car.

As said above, tune and 47lb injectors.

Last edited:

clc44

Established Member
So if you have say 30 miles to empty it's ok to run the 93 tune with toping off the tank even though there is still some corn in the tank???

el jefe 302

Making all kinds of gainz
Established Member
Yeah, when I started out on E85 I did the fuel drain tune to swap. Got old real quick haha. Now I just run it down to empty and swap. I have a couple of years on E85 now, no issues.

Last edited:

clc44

Established Member
If I got stuck not being able to find e85 in the middle of a trip and had to go 93, would I be ok just switching tunes? I'll probably go aed or Lund as I hear mike r is tough to get a hold of. Shaun will be able to answer all my questions. I know it's an easy 15-25 rwhp plus it's $.80 to $1 less per gallon here.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Pick up a couple of 5 gallon gas cans fill them with e-85 keep them in your shed. In case of emergency. I only have one station in my area 12 miles from my house but i also have a brand new focus st as a 2nd car. When i get my stang switched over i will store some e-85, 10 gallons in my shed. Trips are for the 2nd car. No way will i continually flash my ecu back and forth.

clc44

Established Member
I kind of feel the same way. May wait until it's not my daily. Goal is an on3 kit a few years down the road.

clc44

Established Member
I'm about to do the cat delete pipes and figured I'd consider going e85 at the same time. Just not sure what's best.....

Uncle Rusty

Established Member
You'll get a little HP boost, and most importantly you'll have literally zero knock everywhere which is good for the longevity of the engine. Chaning back and forth is as simply as draining the fuel rails and loading a different tune. I have a pair of used 47lb injectors with less than 500 miles on them if you want them for cheap, they came with my TVS but I quickly upgraded to ID1000s.

clc44

Established Member
I'll let you know. I'm just pondering the idea of changing not committing to investing in the change yet. Pm me a price if you don't mind.

Thanks for everyone's help!! Seems like no down sides other than potential cold start issues and being able to get the fuel.

PC03GT

Established Member
Pick up a couple of 5 gallon gas cans fill them with e-85 keep them in your shed. In case of emergency. I only have one station in my area 12 miles from my house but i also have a brand new focus st as a 2nd car. When i get my stang switched over i will store some e-85, 10 gallons in my shed. Trips are for the 2nd car. No way will i continually flash my ecu back and forth.

Blackbeast, we have e85 in DE again? If so where at?

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
all depends on how much you drive the car... DD or not doesnt matter. How many miles do you put on it is the questoin.

e85 is simply put, badass shit. Before i got a job far away from home, i used to DD a 450whp e85 turbo mitsubishi. My commute was only 15 miles or so and it wasnt a big deal. That fuel is amazing. I mixed and matched 91 octane and e85 on occasion to get to a target AFR.

if you are running an e85 tune and switch to gas, you will be very rich but the car will run...albeit like ass.

I say do it.

If i was still N/A my mod path would be e85, CJ intake, and the twin bore throttle body for slightly better drivability. Would be a fun as hell 440 whp DD that will smoke 90% of the cars on the road.

clc44

Established Member
I drive 20-40 each way to work everyday, plus ill drive 50-75 miles once a week. I really want to go tt in the future. That's why I don't want to mess with the cj intake stuff plus I don't feel comfortable revving my car that high. I'm torn as I only know a couple stations near me..... Any one have dyno numbers na and turbo? 93 vs e85?

01slowbra46

2014 GT Premium.
Established Member
I just made the switch and drove 145 miles one way and averaged 16.4 mpg going 70mph. The throttle response is better than it has ever been, and the car just revs so much faster, and I/m just a full bolt ons car. First time i switched i waited unitl it said 5 miles until empty and loaded the fuel pump tune. Literally the only thing left was gas in the fuel rail lol.

01slowbra46

2014 GT Premium.
Established Member
Not to mention the ease of testing E85. I was having to drive 140 miles for 93 octane in Kansas City since my logs were showing a lot of knock activity with the shitty 91 around my area. The difference between shitty 91 and e85 is very noticeable even N/A.

Users who are viewing this thread