Running a bit hot with the supercharger... anyone make a lower thermostat?

guarnibl

Established Member
Some people have had issues tuning them. I went with ID injectors because they are the best on the market and what my tuner recommends. They flow within 1-2% and they are flow matched from factory.

I have 80s......

Going to IDs....

2011+ seem to not be as 80 friendly

Do you guys mean they just don't flow as well as they claim? I've heard the same thing about the 47's from FRPP. But for $400 that's a damn good price even if they only flow as good as 60's. I would def. only go higher than 80's if I run E85, in which case yeah.. I'll probably go ID's.

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
Do you guys mean they just don't flow as well as they claim? I've heard the same thing about the 47's from FRPP. But for $400 that's a damn good price even if they only flow as good as 60's. I would def. only go higher than 80's if I run E85, in which case yeah.. I'll probably go ID's.

I'm not sure on flow but I know that there have been issues with the 80s on the newer cars. Personally I'm glad I went ID. The extra money was absolutely worth it. Car drives like stock. No issues getting them dialed in. These motors are not cheap to replace. I would rather get injectors that flow as advertised then settle on a cheaper alternative that may not flow as well.

mtrsprt

Established Member
Stock thermostat is 180* FYI.

My Boss loves ID725 injectors also. (ID said they were the equivalent of 70lb @ 50psi)

guarnibl

Established Member
Stock thermostat is 180* FYI.

My Boss loves ID725 injectors also. (ID said they were the equivalent of 70lb @ 50psi)

Ahh, didn't realize that -- thanks for the information!

I think ID725's will be too low for me. I will probably end up going with ID2000's to hit 800 rwhp on E85. We'll see anyway -- not sure the 2.3 will get me there. I plan on running 10 rib and running 20 PSI once I build the short block a bit more stout.

mtrsprt

Established Member
NP! Actually, all the 2011's GT's and up run a 180* thermostat also.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
the id's are hands down the best way to go, better tunability, drivability, in these cars.

E85 is far superior than most unleaded octanes.

We were running ms109 unleaded and bested a 9.99 at the end of 2011.

With the switch to e85 we came out at a 9.37 first trip out. Car made about 200 more rwhp on the dyno, and it really fights detonation and keeps cylinder temps down.

We are on the id2000's now, with over 1000rwhp, and plans for about 1200. The 1000's were good at 960 rwhp, on e85 with a triple pump system.

I can set you up with the id's very reasonable.

edit, and nothing wrong with remote tunes. The blue car runs 9.03 remote tuned. We only sell lund tunes, and we remote tune all our cars here. Our cam tune on the Boss is spot on as well!
Give me a shout at 513-478-1965.
Beef

Last edited:

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
I do not have any temp issues @ 16psi on the LC 3.6 KB.

I'm running a Reische t-stat, afco dual pass HE and E-85.

With the ID 2000 injectors, return style fuel system and Lund tune, I'm getting 16ish mpg mixed driving (ie, normal stop and go, some highway and some butthead driving.)

12C/OBoss

Established Member
I do not have any temp issues @ 16psi on the LC 3.6 KB.

I'm running a Reische t-stat, afco dual pass HE and E-85.

With the ID 2000 injectors, return style fuel system and Lund tune, I'm getting 16ish mpg mixed driving (ie, normal stop and go, some highway and some butthead driving.)

Its about time you chimed in here:lol:

:beer:

mtrsprt

Established Member
Anyone see cylinder head temperatures above 220F in summer while hitting traffic lights?

My supecharged Boss cylinder head temps can rise to 228* when in light traffic through the city when ambient temps are above 60*.... Yes, the cylinder head temps come back down to about 209-212* after cruising above 30mph.

If I coast for 10 seconds or so, they come down real quick. Which I read is pretty normal for cylinder head temps to rise and fall quickly depending on load/throttle applied.

(Actual engine coolant temps (ECT) however, never go above 207*) Still running the stock 180* thermostat, but just ordered the Reisch Performance 170* unit).

guarnibl

Established Member
Anyone see cylinder head temperatures above 220F in summer while hitting traffic lights?

My supecharged Boss cylinder head temps can rise to 228* when in light traffic through the city when ambient temps are above 60*.... Yes, the cylinder head temps come back down to about 209-212* after cruising above 30mph.

If I coast for 10 seconds or so, they come down real quick. Which I read is pretty normal for cylinder head temps to rise and fall quickly depending on load/throttle applied.

(Actual engine coolant temps (ECT) however, never go above 207*) Still running the stock 180* thermostat, but just ordered the Reisch Performance 170* unit).

Let me know if the new tstat helps -- I'm running headers and as soon as we did the long tubes everything chilled out. I've got stock TSTAT and that's running 100 degrees outside (past monday).

mtrsprt

Established Member
Let me know if the new tstat helps -- I'm running headers and as soon as we did the long tubes everything chilled out. I've got stock TSTAT and that's running 100 degrees outside (past monday).
It did help a bit. Mostly while driving above 20mph speeds. Cylinder head temps while cruising are about 199-202*. ECT has never gotten above 209*.....Even with 2-3 gears of WOT.

allvested

Established Member
I know this is a somewhat aged string, but would appreciate some ideas, As part of the stage 2 procharger kit on 12 boss we had to replace stock electric fan/shroud with Spal fan and the car runs hotter than I would like, I know a t-stat is not going to make any difference as it is running well above 190 in hot weather. The spal fan has burned out twice, does anyone know what the best cooling fan available for this application might be, it has to be somewhat low profile due to the intercooler piping (which is why stock fan and shroud was replaced in the kit) I can't even consider running the A/C in hot weather. Willing to replace radiator and fan if anyone has a recommendation please advise. Or has anyone had luck re-routing intercooler piping to allow larger fan or stock fan to be used.

Thanks for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread