Running 6.5 - 7 quarts of oil

poneypower

They call me Shipwreck!
Established Member
VirtualSVT said:
Its only a 7 hour drive and I have a half a bottle left:

lol nice, and you had to include a pic. I'm watching the yankee game and the Johnny Walker banner is up this inning behind home plate, lol, "Keep Walking" great stuff

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
poneypower said:
lol nice, and you had to include a pic. I'm watching the yankee game and the Johnny Walker banner is up this inning behind home plate, lol, "Keep Walking" great stuff

Hey. Johnny Walker. Its what's for dinner.

hahaahah

CobraVenom01

Established Member
Premium Member
i run 7 quarts....When we got my motor apart though from all the other damage...i had spun 6 rod bearings...i just had my motor rebuilt...but forgot the most important thing...the canton oil pan

-Ryan

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Are we really talking about this again?!

The discussion and picture of JW blue is one of the more origifnal thread derails I've ever seen though!

FWIW, 7 qts. 5w30 Royal Purple here!

er22bball0302

Established Member
+1 at least 6.5, i run 7, i have had spun rod bearings on 2 occasions running FORDS RECOMMENDED 6 QUARTS:mj: the last time i heard that infamous knock i almost threw up..

Charles236

Established Member
I installed a remote mount oil filter that uses an FL-1A type filter, with that filter installed it takes 7 1/2 quarts to reach the max mark on the dipstick. I agree about the heads holding a lot of oil at higher rpms, and a little extra is just good insurance.

CobraVenom01 said:
i run 7 quarts....When we got my motor apart though from all the other damage...i had spun 6 rod bearings...i just had my motor rebuilt...but forgot the most important thing...the canton oil pan

-Ryan

You've got tbe kidding me? You did a new motor and somehow neglected a Canton pan? No offense dude, but that was a bone head move. :nonono:

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
well, I've had forged motors for about 5 years now, and I still have the stock pan.

While its a nice mod to have, I wouldn't consider it a necessity.

01 Venom

Established Member
I am with quad on this as usual, if you just watch your oil on a regular basis and do good oil changes you should be fine.

After Market pans are nice, but you dont NEED them. espeacially for a street car

quadcammer said:
well, I've had forged motors for about 5 years now, and I still have the stock pan.

While its a nice mod to have, I wouldn't consider it a necessity.

I don't know about this one Quad. I'm sure you remember reading way back when how I had bearing failures on the 01 motors. Now, granted I drove those motors hard but they saw plenty of of 6000 and above. The Canton pans are an upgrade over the stock pan in every way. Besides, an extra qt to help keep the motor cooler is always an added bonus. High rpm insurance is just short of guaranteed with an aftermarket pan.

01 Venom

Established Member
01cobravortech said:
I don't know about this one Quad. I'm sure you remember reading way back when how I had bearing failures on the 01 motors. Now, granted I drove those motors hard but they saw plenty of of 6000 and above. The Canton pans are an upgrade over the stock pan in every way. Besides, an extra qt to help keep the motor cooler is always an added bonus. High rpm insurance is just short of guaranteed with an aftermarket pan.

This is all true and good points, what were you doing when you had the bearing failures?

I dont think you "have" to do it for just a street car with the occosinal blast down the track.

Quadcammer

Established Member
I agree its a good mod. Any extra oil, baffling, etc is a good move. However, I think that if you add the proper amount of oil you should not have oil pressure issues.

I have never seen my pressure flutter at all, even under hard turns, and I have usually 6.75 in the pan.

If you check it frequently and keep it topped off, the stock pan should be fine.

If it burns a little, and you aren't so dilligent, any extra safety margin is a great idea.

01 Venom said:
This is all true and good points, what were you doing when you had the bearing failures?

Driving it to fuel cutoff in 4th. My bearings shouldn't have been starved of oil, but I have no doubt that the lousy stock pan was the cause.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
MuscleOwnzRice said:
Interesting!

Just out of curiosity for those of you that have replaced the oil pan, did you upgrade to the billet oil pump gear at the same time?

Has anyone done this on gp? I was told when I got the u/d pulleys that I should do this b/c the pulleys would stress the stock oil pump gears and cause them to fail? When I checked the price of the billet gears it seemed a little far fetched to me . . . :shrug:

01 Venom

Established Member
01cobravortech said:
Driving it to fuel cutoff in 4th. My bearings shouldn't have been starved of oil, but I have no doubt that the lousy stock pan was the cause.

Very well could have been, I am just curious what kind of oil were you running? Weight brand exct... and how much of it in the stock pan? I am not trying to be smart I really am just curious on how these failures happen.

Rex-racer, oil pump gears suck to do unless youre pulling the motor for a rebuild.

Quadcammer

Established Member
01cobravortech said:

imho, I disagree. Unless you road race the car, the stock oil pan with enough oil in it is not that bad.

There is no reason that you should spin a bearing in straightline acceleration with 7 quarts in the stock pan.

There are millions of cars with similar oil pans that don't have these issues.

01 Venom

Established Member
quadcammer said:
imho, I disagree. Unless you road race the car, the stock oil pan with enough oil in it is not that bad.

There is no reason that you should spin a bearing in straightline acceleration with 7 quarts in the stock pan.

There are millions of cars with similar oil pans that don't have these issues.

This is my theory also, I just dont understand how so many people come on here claiming they have spun rod bearings. With good oil thats changed often, and 6 1/2- 7 quarts in there I dont get how there is a starvation issue.

Now if youre gonna do some twists and turns i can see a possible issue but just going straight?

Only thing I can think off is maybe people are letting the car rev high for too long? like pushing it to redline in 4th and then letting off but not upshift? i dont know.

Users who are viewing this thread