Running 6.5 - 7 quarts of oil

sonic_4.6

Cobra Commander
Established Member
Does anyone have some threads they could point me to where it talks about this. I can't find anything under a search. The new owner of my car would like to read why this is important.

Spanks! :beer:

I've had first hand experience in my old 01 Cobra of two motors failing due to bearing failure. One motor had 4.5 qts installed by the dealer on an oil change and the other about only 6 qts. I personally think the stock pan is garbage. Getting a Canton 7qt pan is worth every penny especially if you like to take the motor to its 6800rpm, like I used to do. ;-) Some guys will say 6 1/2 and others will go with 7qts. Definitely good advice. I wouldn't worry about the oil foaming from having an extra qt in there.

I'll try to find you a thread or two because I do recall this always being a popular topic on the New Edge forums. This is an important issue though because a bearing failure seems to be the most common death nail in the 99/01 motors.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
The main issue is that the heads trap a LOT of oil in them during operation, especially high rpm operation.

Throw in a sustained high lateral acceleration turn and you end up starving the crank and thus the main and rod bearings of oil.

The bearings used in these engines absolutely do not like to be starved of oil.

So, on the street I always ran 6.5 quarts and added an additional half quart when out on track.

Torch10th said:
The main issue is that the heads trap a LOT of oil in them during operation, especially high rpm operation.

Throw in a sustained high lateral acceleration turn and you end up starving the crank and thus the main and rod bearings of oil.

So, on the street I always ran 6.5 quarts and added an additional half quart when out on track.

When I was running the canton 7qt street oil pan, it literally took me 8 1/2 qts of oil just to get it to read below the 'MAX' indicator on the dipstick. I definitely think that there was poor engineering on the stock pan for these cars. Its ludicrous to think that the oil pan would be overlooked in over all importance.

DRTHV8R

I am your father.
Established Member
I put 5Q's once and it was still low i added another 1.5 and it was just in the middle .. so i ended up using the 7 i couldn't figure out why 7 quarts barely made it under the max line.

wikedcobra312 said:
i noticed a good change when i went from 5 quarts or oil to 6.5.

5qts?????? Are you kidding me? The Ford SVT manual calls for at last 6qts. You were playing with fire my friend.

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
Torch10th said:

6.5. Like the guy said, there is a lot of slosh especially on a road course.
I can squeeze almost seven quarts.
Jeff

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
SPXTrader said:
...sets up lawn chair...waiting for cobraracer46...

+1. He's not done jerking off to the Ford manual yet.

yeah. 7 quarts here and beaten like it owes me money.

Users who are viewing this thread