running 13.0 in 03 cobra...need advice

IMPORTSMOKER

Established Member
i ran at california speedway yesterday, my best run was as follows;

13.01 1/4 mile
113 mph
2.12 60ft

im having trouble getting traction in 1st and 2nd....i need some advice or a diagnosis of my run with mods in sig...running on nitto 555r 315/17's at 18 psi, dropping the clutch at about 2-2.5k rpm and trying to get out of the hole..lots of spinning and wheel hop...so im letting off....do i need slicks? what should i be running based on my mph? any advice would be appreciated, thanks

zincyellow03

Banned
looks like you need to practice your launch or definetely slicks.. but with slicks, you might hurt your rear end (don't know much about cobras)

also you are at 460rwhp with 2.1 60' flat 13??? there is something wrong dude..but i don't know what it is!!

Screamin Cobra

Slam'd Cam'd Z06
Established Member
I sure hope that you have a Billetflow IRS diff. cover brace if you are launching the car with DR's. I hopped when I had Nitto's but when I switched to BFG DR's, I dont hop. With those tires I either spin or hook up but NO hop what-so-ever.
If you can't get traction out of the hole then slip the clutch a little bit from the launch and then get into it. With heated DR's I would launch it about +/-3,000 rpm's and then go from there.At best you might see a 1.85-1.90 60ft which will get you better track times. If driven just right you could easily get into the 11's with the torque and hp that you have. Goodluck

Last edited:

LowNSlowNeon

Established Member
Screamin Cobra said:
I sure hope that you have a Billetflow IRS diff. cover brace if you are launching the car with DR's. I hopped when I had Nitto's but when I switched to BFG DR's, I dont hop. With those tires I either spin or hook up but NO hop what-so-ever.
If you can't get traction out of the hole then slip the clutch a little bit from the launch and then get into it. With heated DR's I would launch it about +/-3,000 rpm's and then go from there.At best you might see a 1.85-1.90 60ft which will get you better track times. If driven just right you could easily get into the 11's with the torque and hp that you have. Goodluck

What he said... if you are just dumping the clutch and spinning/wheel hopping.. try slipping the clutch out till you get traction... throttle control / clutch control is your friend..... And yes get a BF IRS brace if you don't have one.. it'll save yer butt.

SlwSVT

Established Member
Get rid of the Nitto drags, they are ok for longevity. Get some Mickey drags or BFGs at the minimum and you will hook much better.

C55AMG

Established Member
IMPORTSMOKER said:
i ran at california speedway yesterday, my best run was as follows;

13.01 1/4 mile
113 mph
2.12 60ft

im having trouble getting traction in 1st and 2nd....i need some advice or a diagnosis of my run with mods in sig...running on nitto 555r 315/17's at 18 psi, dropping the clutch at about 2-2.5k rpm and trying to get out of the hole..lots of spinning and wheel hop...so im letting off....do i need slicks? what should i be running based on my mph? any advice would be appreciated, thanks

To get nitto dr to hook well, i hear you have to do a really good burnout on them at least 5-7 sec. but i could be wrong. I personally use M/T dr and they hook really well.

On a side note, whered you get your car tuned at? I thought with your mods you should be at/over 500rwhp???

Alb Cobra

Established Member
Listen to these guys they are giving you good advice. You will get a lot better a launching the more you go. You are trapping 6 mph faster then me so you should definately be in the low 12's possibly the high 11's. I ease off the cluctch like metioned above at about 3000 rpm (on street tires, I have never run on dr's) and with a lot of runs, I consistently hit below 2.15. My best is a 2.000 and a 12.92 at 107.6 mph (at an elevation of 5200+ ft). Aren't the tracks in Cali all above 4000 ft? 03-04 running MT's drags(26x10ish) hit low 11's up here (500rwhp).

Last edited:

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
take a trip down here to our tracks, all of them at sea level :D

but it seems some more seat time is needed, driver mod is the best mod

convert03cobra

Established Member
I had the same problem when I first took my car to the track. I was on Goodyear F1 street tires and about 460rwhp and hopped like crazy and ran a best of 12.79 I then bought Nitto DRs like you have but they are only 275s and my 60' dropped from a 2.2 to a 1.9 on the very first run and I ran a 12.2 @116 with an unported blower (460rwhp). Practice makes perfect. I advise finding a deserted flat road, bring a few bottles of water to practice a burnout and practice your launches. It might cost you a new set of tires but will make your day at the track 100 times better.

IMPORTSMOKER

Established Member
thanks for all the input...I know I need practice...ill prolly get the diff brace and some m/t tires soon...thanks for the help though

Alb Cobra

Established Member
I ran into some money problems and can't to afford to buy my drag rims. I have a couple of used but still in good condition MT ET streets 26x10 16 inch rim and a rear diff brace I never put on still in the box. I don't have any internet payment account but I am going to have my friend list them for sell as soon as I can get some pics.

Last edited:

ragu1585

Game Over
Established Member
i had 275 nittos drs and my best 60ft was a 1.77 or 76 when they were new ... i slipped the clutched from anywhere around 3-4k rpms and then nailed it.. i got a stage 3 with a 2.9 and previous owner said it dynoed 502 and 455.. get the seat time like every1 insists on and you'll be good to go.. i still need more time for my 2-3 shifts haha

NOXCUSES

Z0SICK
Established Member
I would have your car retuned. That is really low power for those mods, and even with that shitty 60' you still should have run 12's

mattmoto441

Ridin Dirty #001
Established Member
The Nitto take a lot to get them hot what you need to do is a better burnout, i do mine in 2nd and count to my self onethousand one onethousand two ............ Up to 10 or 15 ( i count just to keep myself consistent in what in doing), and if you do that you will hook great i was dumping mine at 3500-4000 with no wheel spin or hop, if you do this i can see you hitting 60ft in the low 1.7 range easy

Users who are viewing this thread