Run out of oil - come in

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
You know I have been thinking about this alot but it doesnt make a ton of sense to pull the motor pull it all apart and do the bear minimum, and still have a sizable bill afterwards. I was looking ast MMR and a forged piston rod set and then bearings will be about $2k and then its done. Has MMR reputation gotten better for worse? Im considering just shipping them my motor and having it built.

find a local machine shop and have them do the work.

MT0911

Established Member
find a local machine shop and have them do the work.

This is most times the best way to do things just in case you have any issues - it easier to resolve them in person then over the phone/email.

K2AHollywood

Established Member
Action Machine in Shoreline, they pretty much only do custom work. They are part of Baxter Auto Parts Redriect. 206-546-2082

Awesome Ill give them a call. I know my guy uses some shop in Snohomish. I think it will come down to who will do what the best price. I just got off the phone with MMR and they said they would build me a shortblock with my block and crank for $2300 and that would be able to support (1000hp)

K2AHollywood

Established Member
Even if it costs a little more, Keep the machining and assembly local and buy your parts from MMR.

Well I don’t think this will be staying local. Just had a talk with my guy and he wants to nickel and dime everything, and wants 30+ hours to assemble the bottom end. Hell, at that rate its way cheap to have MMR build it. Or buy a ready to go and drop it. Pretty disappointed right now. Unless you have a competent contact for that in Seattle too =]

MT0911

Established Member
30+hours to assemble the shortblock? Machining included? Yea that's a little steep. I would keep looking.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
You know I have been thinking about this alot but it doesnt make a ton of sense to pull the motor pull it all apart and do the bear minimum, and still have a sizable bill afterwards. I was looking ast MMR and a forged piston rod set and then bearings will be about $2k and then its done. Has MMR reputation gotten better for worse? Im considering just shipping them my motor and having it built.

. There is no money for a rebuild at this time so if i can hold onto it, its going to get the tarp and garage treatment for a long while.

I was going off of this, but I agree, go ahead and do the rebuild. I still don't see how it would take 30 hours for just the bottom end. I would pull everything myself and just take in the short block with the parts. No way that can be 30 hours of labor. If they pull everything, it can get pricey in a hurry though. I had a shop pull mine while I was gone once, it was over 2 grand just to pull it and inspect it to find out I rubbed a bearing. Then I had to go pick up all the parts myself.

Users who are viewing this thread